Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Water in Axles

I slid under the trailer tonite to check the brake wiring since the amperage has been a little low on the last trip. When I pulled the wires out of the axle tube they were wet. I looked around and saw rusty water stains an the backing plates and thrown up on the underside of the trailer. I drilled a 3/16" hole on one end and found the axle tube filled to the haol where the brake wires enter it. I did the same to the other axle and it had about the same amount of water in it.

I did drive in the rain for a few hours last weekend but at no time did I drive through any deep standing water where the axle tube could possibly gotten submerged. I think this is a little strange and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

John

NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Not yet but I'm drilling holes tonight!!!!!!
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:04 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, I experienced the exact same thing. I called Alko and they said that they had never heard of such a thing, but did say it would be OK to drill two small holes in the bottom of the axle. I think I drilled 1/8 holes near the spring U-bolts on either side. I did not measure the volume of water that came out, but it had to be a cup or two. Don't forget that your drill will likely get wet. I used a cordless one.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Yes, I experienced this shortly after buying the 5ver. I had not been in any high water but had traveled during a heavy rain.
John did the amperage increase after draining the water?
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I haven't checked yet but I did remove the scotchlock connectors and soldered the wires. The connection at the wheels seems pretty good but the main connection kinda stunk.

John
Old 08-18-2004, 01:26 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

I haven't checked yet but I did remove the scotchlock connectors and soldered the wires. The connection at the wheels seems pretty good but the main connection kinda stunk.

John
That's a real good idea, those scotchlock connectors are just trouble waiting to happen. Why in the world Keystone would use those where they will get wet and corrode is beyond me.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We arrived in this park yesterday with the idea we'll spend part of our ten days here doing all the little projects we've been putting off for lack of time (and energy). After reading this one I'm adding two more projects - drill the holes in the axles and change the brake wire connectors to something more positive. I don't think I kept a soldering iron when we started fulltiming but will take a look. If not, there are alternatives at Lowe's, etc., I think.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Something to check for. Happyving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:53 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I used one of those mini butane torches. They are cheap, disposable and can be used for a number of things. Most hardware stores have them by the cash register.

John
Old 08-19-2004, 04:14 AM   #10
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
John

I found the some water in ours also. We hadn't been in any water other than rain. We also had low voltage to the brakes. Upon checking I found that the wires inside the axle tubes were worn through the insulation in 3 places. Replaced the wires to the back axle and the voltage came back up. That is something else to check if you have erratic voltage to the brakes.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:22 AM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
What is the thought on taking the wire out of the axle and attaching it across the top of the axle? Even if small holes are drilled in the axle, there could still be enough moisture to eventually cause a problem. Good or bad idea?
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
This has been a problem in TT's as long as we have owned one. Had that problem in the both TTs we have owned, BIG TIME. We ran the wires outside the axles. Al just said "I'll be changing ours on the Montana some day, I know it is gonna happen!" Suppose there is some reason that the industry has been doing this for so long, knows there is a problem, and keeps doing it. Wish we knew what the reason was.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thunderman

What is the thought on taking the wire out of the axle and attaching it across the top of the axle? Even if small holes are drilled in the axle, there could still be enough moisture to eventually cause a problem. Good or bad idea?
For what its worth, my concern was more about corrosion in the inside of the axle, than any effect on the insulated wire. I think the wire will be fine in the axle if it is not continuously submerged in water.

I did get rid of those little blue clip-on connectors (are those called "scotchlock"? - never heard that term before.), replacing them with a soldered joint inside a crimp-on connector.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:00 AM   #14
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
You could use wire ties or electrical tape to attach the wires to the outside of the axle. I'll see if things are any better this weekend, if not I'll pull the wires out and replace them.The wire that runs from the trailer cord to the brakes is pretty good sized, then they switched to a smaller wire to jump to the front axle, then a larger wire to cross to the other side. I may replace the short thin wires wit hsomething heavier. I was surprised at the amount of extra wire in the axles, there's probably a foot of extra wire inside.
I can hear all 4 magnets humming so I know all brakes are working.

John
Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #15
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
I used wire ties and electrical tape to attach the wires to the outside of the axle on the top. Tried to pull wire through the axle but it broke into. I used #12 stranded wire with butt connectors. Will have to see if the front axle does the same thing.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote