Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #1
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
BRAKES?

We took our 02 3280RL in to the local Les Schwab to have the tires rotated Monday last. While they had the wheels off I saw shiny metal on the brake backing plate. When I touched it it spun around. They pulled the drum and found that three of the five bolts that hold the brakes to the axle had fallen out and the other two had sheared off. When we hit the brakes they spun with the wheel and tore the wires off. No brakes on the rear axle. We replaced the complete brake Assembly on both ends of that axle. When the tech. was removing the brake plat on the right side he said "thats strange use-ly when axles come from the factory they have lock nuts on these bolts". When he installed the new brakes he put on lock washers. Then we took the trailer to a welding shop where they welded the two elongated holes shut and redrilled them. Total cost $294.95.
When I got home got out the AL-KO owners manual. On the page that list parts for the 12 X 2" brake assembly part 5 is a lock washer. When I contacted AL-KO they said that the book was in error. They don't put lock washers on their standered axle only on the rubber suspensions as there is more vibration on them than on a standard axle. They said that some times those bolts fall off but not often.
When you call AL-KO and they say they will have some one call right back. It isn't going to happen. They are debating wither or not they will reimburse us for the repairs. Treecounter

Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sorry about your problems treecounter. That is some story and I learn a lot hearing about them so thanks for your input.

I always check my wheel well area before, during and after a trip. The recent problems with the suspension systems on Montys just means I have to check closer.

For example, before going to Goshen next month I will remove my wheels and check each tire, greese each axle, and check each brake individually with truck attached. Now I have added suspension. But nothing is foolproof.

On Critical bolts I use self locking nuts, lock-tite, or/and lockwashers.

Good luck with Alco.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Just heard from AL-KO. They are sorry that it happened but "tough" Treecounter.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Treecounter - so sorry to hear about your problems with Al-Ko. The only reason we have had good luck on reimbursement is they had put on new brakes last Sept at the factory and the one that fell apart after about 2500 miles and had to have fixed (expensive cost) was still under warranty or we would be in the same shoes as you on the brake issue.

Safe travels.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote