Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2004, 02:54 AM   #1
Montana_1506
Established Member

M.O.C. #1506
Furnace not working

After a brief power outage last night, the furnace won't come back on. When you move the thermostat to where the furnace should start working, I hear a click in the airconditioner,

I checked and replaced the 12V fuse. I checked the 3 amp fuse in the air conditioner. Is there another fuse I'm missing or does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue. All the dealers are booked up solid and we're on the road near Columbus, Ohio.

Thx...jim watt

Montana_1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:02 AM   #2
Montana_1506
Established Member

M.O.C. #1506
It was the board in the furnace. It is however a good thing i spoke with my dealer, Dandy RV about the problem before I went to this service place. They explained that there are two blue and white wires up in the wire bundle next to the AC unit. One is wire nutted to a red wire and the other is connected to a white wire.

The blue and white wires go to the thermostat and so if you are getting power to the red wire (test with multitester grounding to the AC unit) then there is power coming through the circut. By crossing the red and white wires you can eliminate everything but the board in the furnace. If the furnace comes on then it's a thermostat problem, if it doesn't then it's in the furnace.

The service guy is trying to tell me they will need to replace the AC electronics and the thermostat, etc., etc., etc.. When i explained the diagnostics I had already done, narrowing it down to the furnace board, he agreed to remove the furnace and replace the board. Had I not had this little bit of knowledge I'd have spent 3 days with these guys.

Furnace removal, incidentally was much easier than it looked at first blush. A few screws holding it down...disconnect the gas after turning it off and remove the exhaust plate outside. Actually I think you could try taking it out without removing the exhaust plate, but it might be hard to get it lined up right to reinstall.

The board is pretty obvious once you get it out and take off the cowling around the furnace.

thanks for all the ideas..

Anyone see our latest article in Woodalls quarterly publications on our travels for the "Discoveries...America" series?

Thx...jim watt
Montana_1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #3
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sue

quote:Originally posted by bwhdp:

After a brief power outage last night, the furnace won't come back on. When you move the thermostat to where the furnace should start working, I hear a click in the airconditioner,

Thx...jim watt

Are you trying to RUN the Air or Furnace??? If it's the Air, it sounds like it froze up by running it on low (learned the hard way). Let it thaw out and it should start again. If its the furnace (where are you that you need heat?) then I have no clue!!

Sue
Rochester MI
03 GMC 2500HD D/A LB
2004 3400RL
http://community.webshots.com/user/f...rrealfortunate

On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote