Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Black Tank Flush

I hooked up the hose to the black tank flush connection on the outside of the trailer, turned on the water and nothing happened. Is there a valve somewhere that can be closed? I had the black tank valve opened and I have a clear ellbow so I can see if any water is comming into the drain, but nothing came. What could I be doing wrong?

2002 Chev.2500HD D/A 4x4 Ext. Cab. LB, Air bags, 2004 Montana 3670, Reece 16K, Garmin Street Pilot 2610 (so I can find my way home), Cockapoo (Lexie)

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Montana_964

M.O.C. #964
I too have been having this black tank flush system. The factory told me there is a "check" one way valve in the system...but is buried under the undercarriage. I have had this problem "fixed" supposedly TWICE by the dealer...but when taken home it has failed to work. I suspect the dealer never looked at it.

The issue then, is how to fix this problem? The dealer does not seemed concerned and I've been unable to find anyone qualified to work on my 2003 Montana locally.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Bob and Joan
Montana_964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
The reason the vacum break is there is to allow the pipes to drain when the hose is removed. (frost protection). How effective is it??? Hard to say, my pipes are not all that level and water pools in the low spots.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:00 AM   #4
Smacko

M.O.C. #944
Send a message via AIM to Smacko Send a message via MSN to Smacko
Newbie here and I hate to sound ignorant, but how do I find a black water tank flush connection? I have read the book and see nothing about it and have wondered.... Thanks for any information
Steve M
315RLS
Smacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Smacko, it's usually an extra cost option. If you have the black flush option it will be on the outside, probably close to the water filler area or else near the dump valve. It should be labeled something about tank flush. It will look alot like the city water hookup, with the rubber cap on it and all. If you need more let me know and I'll take a picture and post it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
bobferris, refer to my posts, I fixed my problem by removing the air gap and puttiing a ball valve in line. Works great now. Hope your problem is as easy to take care of as mine.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
Montana_964

M.O.C. #964
Dhenry> thanks for you help. Last week, I traced the water from the outside connection under the TV cabinet, under the floor to the sink compartment. I found the "anti check valve" located there. When I took it off I found it to be defective. I then installed a inline valve bought at the local rv store for $18 in place of this anti check valve.

It still did not work. I then traced the "pex" tubing back down from the sink to the large storage area. I detached the "union" fitting there and found that the last 8 feet or so of Pex tubing to my black tank was plugged. I "dripped" water and some cleaning agent...and finally got it to flush well.

It works well now and all I have to do is flip the on/off handle under the sink.

My next question is: From the outside water connection to the black pvc pipe leading to the blank tank is less than 3 feet. Why then, did Montana route approximately 30 feet of Pex tubing throughout the coach? I asked Montana this and they had no answer.

I'm considering putting in a 3 foot hose from the outside connection to the pvc pipe leading to the black tank and taking the 30 feet of Pex hose completely out of the loop.

Thanks again for your help...it worked!!!!
Montana_964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:12 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
They did that with the water lines to my bathroom as well. I removed about 20 feet of hot and cold water line and re-routed the line through the coach to prevent freezeups.

I can only figure that when installing the plumbing, they use standard lengths that will fit whatever floorplan the chassis ends up being.

I don't know if you've noticed but almost all Montana drawers are the same, regardless of the floor plan. No matter which coach you have the same drawer stuffs in the hole in all of them.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:56 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
bobfaris, I pulled the water lines down to the basement area and installed my ball valve there. I felt that I did not want to be going inside and reaching under the sink to turn on the black tank flush and I also did not want to have a problem inside if any of the fittings decided to leak. Glad to hear that you solved the problem.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:27 AM   #10
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
This is an interesting problem you're having with the black water flush fer sure. As you have already read, it is never recommended to use a "regulator" when flushing. On my previous 5'er's and trailers there was an inline check valve going into the black water tank. I suspect it's certainly a possibility that was put in backwards which would surely "stop" any water from entering the tank.
Not sure if it's feasible for you doing the repair yourself, however, with your dealer so far away sometimes it's easier to do somethings yourself...if it's not too complicated. Keep us posted on what you finally found the problem to be.
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:43 AM   #11
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The black flush line is routed so the anti-siphon valve is located higher than the highest possible water level for the black tank. The highest point is the top of the toilet (when the bowl is full). If the pipe did not loop this way there would be a good possibility that some of the black tank contnets would make their way out the flush inlet. The installation of a ball valve would solve this but it is another step in the process.

I have found that the black tank does a crappy (pardon the pun) job of cleaning the tank. My sensors were reading full and the other day after a trip( dumped and flushed like crazy). I filled my tank with a garden hose through the toilet, I added liquid water softener, and filled the tank to the ball valve in the toilet. I let it sit for a few days and I could not believe how much junk came out. I have done the ice cube scrub before and I thought my tanke were clean, not! I plan to use softener and do an ice cude scrub for my next trip to see if I can get all the sensors to work, right now I read 1/3, which is better than it was.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote