Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
High Gas Prices have calmed me down....

Yep! You read right....the high gas price have forced me to change my driving habits. My everyday driving with no trailer behind.....

I used to be put the pedal to the metal type of driver. I would be one of those in the fast lane keeping pace with the other fast drivers.

My usual speed would be between 72-75 mph. Usually 72, my excuse is that is where my foot feels most comfortable. And even at that a lot of times another car would come up behind me wanting to go faster.....

Over the last few months as gas prices go up up up....I have reduced my speed on the raod in order to use less gas.

In my State and home area for vehicle's the speed limit is 65mph on highways and freeways. Some surrounding areas the speed limit will go up to 70mph. But I don't drive these areas often.

When I get on the freeway I now set my cruise control to 65mph
(sometimes 63-64mph as the RPM stay at or below the 2000).

On saving gas....I am sure this has helped a lot, but I have not sat and tried to calculate the difference......but what it has done.......

I am so much more relaxed when I go somewhere in the car.!

I am a relaxed person anyways, but before I always felt like I had to hurry up and get there! (This might stem from I was born and raised in an Oval Track Racing family....Love the speed! And the roar of the engines!).

Like I said.......NOW, I just set the cruise and drive in the slower lanes....as cars pass me going 75-85mph....I just smile and say go ahead and eat up your gas.

Today on a short drive from one town to the next.....on a two lane freeway, there was two cars in the slow lane going 60mph, I got behind them and followed. And I turned the radio up and sang away. ...

To be truthful, my errand probably took as long as I usually do, but I was happier and patient doing it.

I am enjoying driving more.......

Slow down....it not saves gas, but it relaxes you!

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Here in Utah the speed on the interstate is 75. I was doing a check yesterday and driving at 75 I was getting 16.6 mpg per my DIC. I slowed to 60 and the mpg went up to 17.1. This was not towing and with 4500 miles on my Chevy Duramax. I feel better at the lower speeds also.......

I hate to say it, but it's hard to believe gas is so expensive by the way people drive. IF we would all slow down a bit maybe the demand wouldn't be so great and prices might drop........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You were talking about the comfort zone for your foot. I have noticed that the foot, or at least my foot can be retrained. I tow between 58 and 62, most of the time 58. I really have to work to drive faster even not towing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I was always in the FAST lane, even when pulling the Monty but no more. Now I drive no faster than 64 with or without the trailer.
Last Christmas the local sheriff put on a campaign against aggressive drivers. While listening to his radio ads I was sure he was referring to me and I backed it down and I no longer feel I have to be leading the pack. I have become a follower and you know I enjoy it AND I know Lorraine enjoys it as well.

The only bad driving habit I need to break now is being the first one off the line. I can't stand anyone getting the jump on me especially if it's a competitors brand.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Yup, I, too, am slowing down and enjoying life. For the last several years I have used Bubba, our GMC D/A dually to run errands and make an almost daily trip to my hanger (16 miles away.) I was always in the fast lane and made sure I took the freeway. About 2 months back I discovered I could take a slightly shorter route on surface streets at around 45 mph and save fuel. But the real breakthrough came when a hanger neighbor sold his motor home and I was able to acquire his tow car - a 1995 Nissan 4 banger pickup. I parked Bubba in the hanger and save $5.00 on every trip to the hanger to say nothing of errands. Truck cost $2500 and insurance is less than $400/year. I spend zero time in the fast lane, enjoy the drive and spend almost no time looking for a big parking spot. And, Bubba doesn't seem to mind relaxing in the hanger waiting for the next big tow.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I would so much like to be able to park the pickup and drive a more fuel economy car. But for now we can't do that....not in our $'s budget yet.

Because I drive less on a daily basis, I drive the pickup. I don't mind I love MY pickup.

Isn't it funny how slowing down can change your mood.

I knew when I decided to pay more attention and slow down I would save gas, but I did not expect for this little simple behavior change to affect my mood in driving.

I did not realize that the fast driving was making me always feel in a rush......

Is this what retirement will be like?

Relaxed and taking it a day at a time.....aaaaaah! if so maybe I'll have to agree with my husband when he discuss early retirement.

For now, I'll slow the driving down....save on gas and really enjoy my drive (even if it is errands)

Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well here in fl with the tax crunch the state and now all the cops have gone to what they call "0" tolarance thats the speed limit and not 1 mile over, my next door gal got it for 3 miles over the limit at 45 as she was at 48 and he said 0 tollarnce and now its on the news ,, even alagator alley is now 70 mph as it was always 90 or more the state is out in force now as they will get the money someway ...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Coming to New England from Texas I tried 60, 62 and 65 MPH under similar road conditions. With the 2005 F350 towing Hanna, I saw no difference in gas mileage at the three speeds. Although I was comfortable at 65, I was just as comfortable at 62. I like the idea of judging distance at a mile a minute (60) and 62 is just slightly faster.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

I really enjoy driving the speed limit.

But what I really enjoy is when someone behind me doesn't get the same enjoyment as I do and they tailgate me.... so I slow down even more and really *%#@ them off.

I know it's not good to do that, but I try to drive safe, use less gas and be relaxed enough to "smell the flowers along the way." Half the fun of going somewhere, is the journey getting there.

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We see a respectable difference. We saw it both in our 05 V-10 and now our 08 6.4. Of course you can not compare pulling up a grade or
dropping down the other side but on a fairly level road. We have always pulled at 62/63 on interstates and tpks 55 is even better and at 70 the MPG drops. For us the speed where we feel comfortable. We note now that even the big trucks have slowed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I drive in the range that Stiles does - 55-60. Since we have gotten older and do not have to rush anywhere, we try to keep our travels to a max of 4 hours or 200 miles a day and are much more relaxed at the end of the trip. That way we can also leave later and arrive earlier at a CG.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I drive the speed limit without the Montana. With the Montana I drive 62...that's about the slowest I can go and stay in 6th gear.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Along with most of you, I drive at 63 mph when towing on the Interstate. When traveling surface streets and highways when not towing, I am usually in the slow lane and being passed.

No big deal on being passed: I spent many years mopping up people who were involved in high speed- and/or driving while influenced by drugs and/or alcohol- vehicle accidents. The long and the short of it is that while a youth, thinking I was immortal, I would do stupid things while driving; after my career in law enforcement, I became "educated".

Just my thoughts...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote