Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
WASHING EXTERIOR

WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO CLEAN THE EXTERIOR OF A 5TH WHEEL TRAILER? IS THERE ANYONE PRODUCT RECOMMENDED VS ANOTHER? ALSO, THE BLACK STREAKS ON THE SIDE - IS IT RECOMMENDED TO PURCHASE THE STREAK REMOVER AT CAMP WORLD OR WHAT REMOVES THEM THE BEST??

Montana_1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Welcome WildBill,
The easiest way to clean the rig is to hire someone to come to the trailer and wash it. If you do it yourself..... we just wash ours with auto type soap. We do not use anything special for the black streaks. The trailer has always come clean easily with just soap and water. Don't forget to get the roof first!

RVWheels/admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:12 AM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
WildBill I put snap clothes pin on the gutter-ends & that stops the black streaks. I use Zip-wax from Wal mart to wash. Some Campgrounds won't allow washing I use 409 & wipe off works well for me.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Thank you for the info regarding washing my RV. Don't suppose I could afford to hire somone, so will have to do it myself. Also like the ideal if the clothes pins on the gutter-ends - I'll give that a try. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I use the Fulltimer's Choice Black Streak remover from Wal-Mart. It works pretty good, I just spray some on a long handled brush and brush the marks. Sometimes it has ti sit on for a little while.

I also use regular car wash soap. Never use dish detergent, it strips off any wax.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
The clothpins are a good idea. We came across a fix in another mag. we cut part of the liter plastic bottles approx 3 inches, bent them down the middle, and then glued them to the drains on each end of the Montana with GOOP glue that you can buy everywhere. It works great and keeps the streaks off the side. They have been on for over a year and many miles. We also use the zip-wash and it works well.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WildBill

WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO CLEAN THE EXTERIOR OF A 5TH WHEEL TRAILER? IS THERE ANYONE PRODUCT RECOMMENDED VS ANOTHER? ALSO, THE BLACK STREAKS ON THE SIDE - IS IT RECOMMENDED TO PURCHASE THE STREAK REMOVER AT CAMP WORLD OR WHAT REMOVES THEM THE BEST??
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the above info. Some great ideas. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Northstar

Thanks for the above info. Some great ideas. Happy rving...
Yes.. Thanks for the above info. Some great ideas. Happy rving...
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #9
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
I use a biodegradable product called " Simple Green". You can purchase it at Walmart. I use at full strength to clean the " Black Streaks". Works very well and makes the RV shine.

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:09 AM   #10
Montana_682
Established Member

M.O.C. #682
watch it Simple green full strength will take paint off I am a retired mechanic and I had an experience with this
Montana_682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #11
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Thank you all for your input. I will give these a try and see which one works for me and all the bugs you get while on the road. Hope the roof of my Montana holds up to walking on it while cleaning. Has anyone had any problem with that? Is there a weight limit??
Old 07-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #12
Mooman

M.O.C. #1890
I used a piece of 5/8 clear plastic tubing about three inches long for the black streak problem. Cut one end about an inch and slide it over the end of the gutter. I drilled a small hole and used a small screw to hold it on. Done this on my last rig and they stayed on for eight years. Look better than closepins also. Seems to work for me. Just though I would throw in my two cents worh. Dennis
Mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
gloriad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #599
We find that spray Simple Green on the black streaks and they come right off. Find this works better than anything else we have tried. Haven't tried the clothes pin trick yet, but our friends have and say it works. It is a real job to wash that monster anyway and anything that makes it easier is always welcome at my house.
gloriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #14
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Iam still new at this and havent had to wash it yet but it seems ther are a lot of ways to do it. I have bought a long extention brush that is soft says made for RV's at Wall Mart about $16. you can hook a hose to it to rinse and has a shut off to soap and scrub it has directions that go along with what everyone is saying.. a good mild detergent and soft brush. so I gess Ill be testing it soon my wife says and as far as the close pins for the black streaks ours arnt to bad it has been raining every evening as it does in colorado and I was watching the rain guters and the ends have a small lip on them that stick out about 1" away from the trailer seams to help. are these new
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:18 PM   #15
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Have any of you used the Mr. Clean car wash that you can buy at home depot? I have used it on my vehicles and found that it was great. No water spots. I have not used it on the Montana yet.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #16
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by DHenry

Have any of you used the Mr. Clean car wash that you can buy at
================================================== ====================
Not yet but will try it. Normal RV cleaner seems to remove dirt and the black streaks from the sides of the Montana. But what ever road dirt, diesel smoke or praire dust settled on the top left some black streaks on the rounded edges of the roof that didn't want to come off easily. So I poured a few drops of the orange cleaner on the bristles of the soapy, wet RV brush and that stuff just slicked the tough dirt right off. I was wondering about anything that powerful being hard on the paint etc so only used it on those tough streacks on the edge of the roof.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mooman

I used a piece of 5/8 clear plastic tubing about three inches long for the black streak problem. Cut one end about an inch and slide it over the end of the gutter. I drilled a small hole and used a small screw to hold it on. Done this on my last rig and they stayed on for eight years. Look better than closepins also. Seems to work for me. Just though I would throw in my two cents worh. Dennis
Dennis, we're using clothespins but I like your method. I assume you used a stainless screw to avoid getting rust streaks instead of black streaks? I'm going to try your method next time I am in town and can get some tubing. Thanks for the tip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mooman

I used a piece of 5/8 clear plastic tubing about three inches long for the black streak problem.
I have done something very similar, only I used white central vac tubing and a 3M Command adhesive hook to avoid making holes. Works very well to prevent black streak formation. I leave them on all the time except when travelling. They can easily be lifted off and stored in a locker for travel. I will have them at the rally if anyone wants see them in detail. The white tubing is a close match for the trailer wall, so they don't look too obtrusive. Black streaks seem much worse at home here in S. Ontario (near heavy industries) than they do when we spend time on the Gulf (of Mexico) coast.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:25 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OntMont, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the rally. There's a thread in the rally section where you can list the things you'll have "open for inspection" or would like to show. I'd like to see what you've done but I'll never remember to ask about it if it's not on the list. Sorry, just an advanced case of CRS..
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote