Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
3295RK Slide problem

Hi Folks!

(Little Rascal's husband here)
Well, I went out to do a check on our Montana today. We maintain it on a storage lot. I went and connected the batteries using a cut-off switch that is installed on the positve post on one of the batteries with the other end being the positive lead going to the trailer. Go inside, look around, check the battery; it reads full. I go and open the slides to get a better look around; it been about two weeks since the last check. Start opening the slides. All slides have A & E slide toppers installed by CampingWorld. Bedroom opens fine, living room opens fine, kitchen.... I didn't catch it but I heard a metal pop just as it was starting to open. Look out the door just to see my Billon (sp) Stop from the slide topper land on the ground broken.
I apologize for any misspelling but the billon stop is the piece at one end of the roller. I know it rotates as the slide topper opens up and does the same as it retracts. On mine it's white and has a 2-2.5 inch extension with a rubber coated end that starts from its "C" shaped base. It usually resides on the part of the roller nearest the door. It broke clean where the screw mounts it to the roller. Screw still in-place, a piece of this thing still hanging on by the screw. The kitchen slide was out 5-6 inches from fully closed. That is, the slide to the rear of the camper was out more than that by the door. By the door, it was out maybe 2-3 inches.
Well I didn't press with moving it out anymore, in fact, I pulled the slides in. They all retracted to include the kitchen slide except for the 2-3 inches on the slide by the door. My "Oh crap" meter is already up there. I get outside and do what anyone would do, push it in. That maneuver works without trouble and pulling on it does make it come back out. Pretty good seal (enough to keep out the rain) but not like it would be if it was pulled in by the hydraulic system.
I've had the slide toppers on less than a week after getting the Montana. They have worked flawlessly and exceeded our expectations on many occasions. We bought it this last April.....I believe.
I'm not sure which to blame. The slide topper for possibly knocking something under the slider off track or slider mechanism for breaking a piece off my slide topper. I liked how my billon stop rotated when opening and closing and I'm sure it has some very important function. On a good note, the slide topper still has tension on it. And I can get it to the dealer; next available appointment isn't until 30 Aug!
Service at my local dealer tried to tell me that it was a weak battery and that was the reason for my kitchen slide “acting up” but I have full power according to the indicator in the trailer. Lights are pretty bright too and the other slides move too easily. Called CampingWorld; service rep never heard of a slide topper knocking a slider's mechanism off track or damaging one none-the-less. I examined my "billon stop" and confirmed that it clears everything when rotating out and doesn't even come close to the camper when the slide is fully closed. Slide topper is not seized and will open under manual rotation and retract automatically upon release of tension. I did a cursorily looked underneath to find nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing bent or broken. No misalignment in my amateur opinion.
Trying again does not magically make things work right. Same problem and I stopped as soon as it didn't look right.
I’m wondering if the cause is a malfunctioning slide mechanism underneath. My theory is that the rear portion of kitchen slide pulls out and begins to rotate the slide topper putting a twisting action on the non-moving front portion. It moves a little bit but the tension or torque builds up and is placed on that screw the billon stop is held to and eventually breaks the billon right at that location.
Anyone experience this before or have a theory? I just want to be prepared if they try to blame it all on my slide topper.

DL

Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mr. Little Rascal,

Do a search here on the forum, I think I remember some people having trouble with slides not going out even and they found some broken bolts or something under the slides. Might give you some ideas to think over, while someone with the REAL answer comes along to help ya!

Good luck and keep us posted will ya on what ya find to be the REAL problem.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote