Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
We did it!

We did it!

We drove a 1000 mile round trip to pick up our 2013 Montana High Country 343RL this weekend. We picked it up at Folsom Lake RV in Rancho Cordova, CA, who gave us a great deal - $10K less than we tried to get it locally.

We upgraded from a Keystone Outback 26RKS travel trailer, which I extended by 3 feet by having a platform welded to the back so that I could carry a 4300 watt Cummins-Onan generator. So the length of the trailer became 30’. The 343RL is just a wee bit shy of 38’ – but it’s the almost 3’ height difference that’s giving me the heebie jeebies, I really have to be vigilant!

Driving from the Sacramento area to San Diego county was uneventful, even driving through L.A. Had I not done that many times in the past seven years with our TT I would have freaked out. But I feel very confident driving through cities, including metropolitan areas like San Francisco and NYC! I’d prefer not doing that, but sometimes preferences don’t become realities.

I haven’t had to back up the unit yet, but I can’t imagine it will be too much different than I was accustomed to with the TT.

I had the second AC, 2 6-volt batteries and the slide toppers installed at the dealer. I’ve been like a kid in a candy shop, having ordered a tire pressure monitoring set, a 6500-watt Onan propane generator with remote, a Blue Ox BedSaver, a Progressive surge protector/monitor, and 40 LED lights (hope that’s enough!).

This coming week I plan to have the solar system as well as our HD satellite system pulled from the TT and installed on Monte.

We travel throughout the U.S., in the past six seasons we’ve traveled 66K miles and visited 44 states, the longest odyssey lasted almost three months: from San Diego to Key West to Bar Harbor to Mackinac Island to Flaming Gorge and back home – over 12K miles in total.

We decided we needed more space and comfort than the TT had to offer. We’re heading out in a couple of weeks to Zion for a week as a real shakedown trip, before we leave on our big journey to Alabama and Kentucky and many more points in between in six weeks.

We’re spending our kid’s inheritance!

Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Rainer,

Welcome and best wishes on your new rig. I'm thinking from your writing that you are naturally excited and rarin' to go. Be safe and happy travels.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Glad to have you join us here, keep us posted and congrats on the new rig!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Wow, sounds great.. congratulations. Didn't know about the dealer in RC.. Sounds like I should have tried there and maybe I too could have afforded a few more toys Good luck on your shakedown. We have only found a few items to take care of. We are delivering it back to the dealer tomorrow and will leave it there for a week or two till completed. Then the real shakedown takes place..
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:I haven’t had to back up the unit yet, but I can’t imagine it will be too much different than I was accustomed to with the TT.
Rainer,
Congratulations. Backing is not hard but you do have to adjust your reference points. I have to force myself to pull twice as far forward as I did before with the TT. The 5th wheel takes longer to start responding to a turn but when it does it comes around quickly. Practice practice practice will help you get use to it.
Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Many happy miles with your new rig.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to both get the answers you need and help others with your experience. We look forward to meeting you down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What a great testimonial. I have driven and towed pretty much all routes between L.A., O.C. and Sacramento but you got me beat from San Diego. Solar Panels, Bigger generator, HD satellite, 6v batteries, TPMS, 2nd A/C and so much more; man, you already got all the goodies! Nice! You are gonna love the new expanse of the new rig. As for backing up, I prefer a fifth wheel to a TT since it does react faster than a TT. The extra length is pretty much negated by the fact it overlaps the truck bed and this is why it reacts to backing so much faster. It is different than parking a TT and the mirrors become way more critical. Can't help you with the height except you must be very careful - trees, wires, overhangs, reading EVERY height sign, whew. Measure the height of the topmost part of the rig when it's hitched up!

Looking forward to hearing your adventures (good and bad). You already covered most of the U.S. and now you get to do it all again with the new rig!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

First of all congratulations on the new rig!
I’m sure you’ll get many great years out of it.

You indicated you were coming as east as Alabama & Kentucky.
Have you thought about taking in the Mid-Atlantic rally?

It would be a great way to meet up with several MOC’ers!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
wow sounds great enjoy the unit we love our High Country, enjoy your trip we love traveling in ours.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Stephen Underhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #12826
Welcome to the High Country Family. We have only has one problem and that was the webbing put under the matress. Some 1/2" plywood cured that.
Stephen Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Sounds like you guys are having a great time and really enjoying this Great Country of ours. If you find yourself going through Nashville, Tennessee stop and see us at the Jellystone Park, Site 611, on the North side of Nashville. Would be fun to share a campfire with you! Take care and safe travels!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and enjoy your new unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stephen Underhill

Welcome to the High Country Family. We have only has one problem and that was the webbing put under the matress. Some 1/2" plywood cured that.
Webbing? I didn't see any webbing? Where's the webbing?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl
Backing is not hard but you do have to adjust your reference points. I have to force myself to pull twice as far forward as I did before with the TT. The 5th wheel takes longer to start responding to a turn but when it does it comes around quickly.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to find an empty parking lot and practice with some orange cones.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge
As for backing up, I prefer a fifth wheel to a TT since it does react faster than a TT. The extra length is pretty much negated by the fact it overlaps the truck bed and this is why it reacts to backing so much faster. It is different than parking a TT and the mirrors become way more critical. Can't help you with the height except you must be very careful - trees, wires, overhangs, reading EVERY height sign, whew. Measure the height of the topmost part of the rig when it's hitched up!
More good info. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Best of luck with your new unit. And welcome to the MOC family.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna
You indicated you were coming as east as Alabama & Kentucky.
Have you thought about taking in the Mid-Atlantic rally?
Sounds like a wonderful time, but we need to start heading to South Dakota, where my mom still lives to visit her about that time.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan
If you find yourself going through Nashville, Tennessee stop and see us at the Jellystone Park, Site 611, on the North side of Nashville. Would be fun to share a campfire with you!
Nashville is in our plans after we leave Alabama and head north through Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ohio before we start heading westerly toward South Dakota.

Are you always at that Jellystone Park? Is it home?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #20
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Well, congratulations on your new " home". I know you will love it. Glad to see you are including Alabama in your next travels. Have lived in Alabama over 70 years and reside in Northport, AL, next to T-Town, Tuscaloosa, home of the University of ALabama Crimson Tide. If I can be of any help with places to see or stay, just PM me. If you haven't been to our gulf seashores, it is a must see. May your travels be eventful and always safe.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote