Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
RV full hook-up parking in Sterling, Alaska

We have a small (2.5 acre) private family campground in Sterling, Alaska near the Kenai River with full hook-ups for 4 RVs. I'm building a full bath and laundry facility this spring. We are interested in allowing one or two RVers to stay with us free for a couple of weeks in the summer (while you fish for Salmon and Halibut - or whatever you want to do) if you have a similar parking situation somewhere warm that we could use in the winter. Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, N. Texas, Florida (were open)???

We're trying to sell out everyting except our campground so we can go full time. Our plan: Summers on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska and winters in the South West (or wherever we wander to).

Email us if you have this type of resource and are interested in a seasonal parking swap. danandbetty@mtaonline.net or call Dan (907) 355-0378.

danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How fortunate. Isn't that the ONLY part of Southeast Alaska that you can actually drive to but going through Canada? The rest of the Southeast Alaska towns and villages is strictly flying (can't bring your RV) or ferry (a small fortune to bring your RV). We have been there once but it was right after a severe rain storm and all the roads were a muddy mess. Are they paved yet?

That's a very cool dream-almost-reality situation you have. The best of luck to you and one of these days I hope we can stop by and partake of your campground. First I gotta get past Canada customs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Actually, Sterling is on the Kenai Peninsula which is in Southcentral Alaska. To drive here there are two routes. The all land route is the Alaska/Canada (Alcan) Hwy starting in Dawson Creek British Columbia and traveling through Yukon Territory to the Alaska border. The Land/Water route means using the Alaska ferry system (a problem for really large RVs) from Prince Rupert British Columbia to Haines Alaska, then driving the ramainder of Yukon Territory into Alaska. Both ways require a lot of fuel. That's why I have a Tranfer Flow 109 gal diesel transfer tank in the bed of "big daddy."

We are pretty thankful to be able to live in Alaska but the older I get the longer and colder the winters are. I'm now wanting to only be here in from April through September. Come on up and go fishing.....
Old 02-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi Dan & Betty,

We live in Seward and own a B&B. We need to meet each other! Geez, we're practically next door neighbors!

Tammy & Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Isn't someone else who is rather famous from Wasilla, AK?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Yes! She sure is!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
OK...We're are trying to live that down. Most of us who live in Wasilla are honost, trustworthy, and do what we say. Please don't judge us based on her character. One more reason to sell out and go full time!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Careful! This could become political. There are many of us who like her -- er, what's her name?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Are we allowing political statements now????
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
OK...I'll lighten up a little but it's hard to seperate retiring from politics (especially in Alaska) because it was politics that wrecked my former retirement plan (you know, the one that involved me having a little money in my 'golden' years).

To be optimistic (and because necessity is the mother of invention) buying an older Montana certainly costs less than buying a stick built home. I knew I'd be downsizing in retirement but I didn't know it would be this drastic. We look forward to traveling with excitement - I can hardly wait until our houses sell so we can start our full time travels.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the correction danandbetty. I was thinking of "Stewart"/Hyder, where Hyder is the town in Southeast Alaska approachable by road via Stewart, British Columbia, Canada. I was off by a bit!

Best of luck with your new travels.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Are we allowing political statements now????
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead,
No. We are not allowing political comments.

I do not plan to take any further action on this thread because it appears a "self correction" is taking place. If future posts go political then appropriate action will be taken.

Thank you,
RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote