Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Leak led to poor construction

Well it all started with noticeable delamination in the left rear corner of the 2010 montana Mountainer. I removed the interior cabinets, wall board and insulation. To start with there was almost enough fibreglass insulation to fill a grocery bag, not impressed. Saw where the leak originated which was in the corner where the back meets the side.removed the remaining wet and soaked bcking from the fibreglass. Next I found the screws that hold the ladder four for each support that two of each support were only in The fibreglass and two were in the aluminum studs. There was a piece of 2x6 attached to the stud but in the wrong channel.this is the case for all three supports. Next noticed the wires, both 12 volt and 110 volt wires which ran through the top plate in four locations that two locations were through a bushing and two were not , only through the drilled hole in the aluminum top plate which is rough and totally against code.
Then notice screws in the lower cavity which hold the wall to the frame were backed out or broke off which I think is the latter.
Fix is to put wire loom on wires, a backer for the ladder support screws and change them to SS, secure wall to frame (not sure how yet), and ridgid insulation and fianaly 1/8 birch plywood and paint the interior walls (all). Oh by the way there was2x6 pieces in the wall between the studs that the upper cabinets we’re screwed to and they were not secured the studs...
Anyway I when I get done it should be better than before.
Joe

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Close enough to being a "ground up restoration" process. Sadly there are thousands of these type of issues out there, and a lot of owners don't have the knowledge to fix them.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Wear is the leak & delamination coming from? Bad caulking job.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
At the corner as the the rear wall had movement as some of the screws for the wall have broke which allowed the caulking to come away. Still have to investigate further. Waiting for the weather to mild up.
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Had the same problem with my 2013 Mountaineer. Remove the vertical corner trim and you will see the problem. The side wall comes up short about 3/8” of being flush with rear wall. The angle trim only covers about 7/16” and there is no butyl tape on side.
There is a short piece of 2x4 in bottom corner that I had to replace. Fix for leak, at least I hope, was to use Dicor corner seal. Cost for seal kit about $100. Do search on Dicor corner seal. Also on you tube.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote