Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
What's going on?

Went to the RV Show and made a B line over to the Keystone Dealer. The 2 or 3 Montanas they had there no longer have a molded rear cap just a flat wall with a sewer hose tube at the bottom. Whhhaaat? Doesn't this strike anyone as going backwards on a luxury line? Even the exterior walls didn't seem to have the gloss my 2011 does. I know ... maybe they weren't ordered high gloss, but that's what they brought to an RV show? Lotsa "eye candy" inside, but "eye candy" only goes so far. I'm disappointed. Is this due to the management rearrangement at Keystone? OK ... stepping away from the podium.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
Well the Mountaineer Series was dropped. The new Montana has an optional Legacy Package which gets front and rear painted caps. Also several other options are standard with this package. They really look good. I have had a 2015 Montana 3611rl with the Legacy Package and G Rated Tires ordered for about a week.
FordMan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
I may be reading it wrong, has happened before, but according to the Montana web site, under 'Features' in the RESIDENTIAL LIVING PACKAGE, which is "Mandatory" it lists •High Gloss Fiberglass Exterior with Metallic Nickel Painted Front Cap. In the MONTANA LEGACY EDITION which is an OPTIONAL package it lists: •Metallic Nickel Painted Fiberglass Rear Cap (N/A 3790, 3791). Not sure why they have changed this from standard to optional equipment. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Coachmen did the same thing a fews years ago. They went from the Somerset to a Wyoming without the rear cap and the ugly black box bumper. We didn't go back to Coachmen for our next camper. If Montana does the same thing as Coachmen, guess what the next camper won't be ??
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Well if those 2 or 3 units had the mandatory high gloss fiberglass exterior ... my 2011 must have the "Supersonic Permafrost Ultra" high gloss sides. At the show, you could easily see the filon strands in the exterior wall finish like on my 05 2980RL.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I thought they were bunkhouse models with the ugly flat back.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Mountaineer line was dropped. The Lines are , Montana, Montana Legacy, Montana Big sky. The flat back you saw is now the Montana. The rear cap the Montana Legacy.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Richfaa has it right. They are dropping the Mountaineer line and blending it in with the Montana. The only reason I bought this Mountaineer other than for the floor plan, I knew it would be the standard Montana. And, of course the deal I got for it being 2015 model. It has the flat back end. The way I see it, it is an opportunity to do some dressing get up back there. Stay tuned for what will happen. Guaranteed, it won't look the same as any others!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
The Legacy Package has a different kind or name of fiberglass. Premium Ultra High Gloss "Noble classic" what ever that means is what the newest brochure says. You also have to get the Legacy to get the Rear Cap. Like I have said I have one ordered that is loaded up!
FordMan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You folks definitely have to come to the Fall Rally's in Goshen in September. We learned about the changeover both at the factory tour and also at the discussion session at the Rally itself. As has been said, the Mountaineer has been eliminated from the Montana inventory and the Mountaineer is now a straight Montana with no back cap. If you want the back cap you have to go for the Montana Legacy or the Big Sky. The Big Sky is now an individual class in itself again. IF you check the Montana website you will see that some of the models have been dropped from production, some have two different numbers because of having residential(electric only no propane) refrigerators in them and some are now dealer stock only. They have new models coming out within the next few months also. I would say that the dealer down in your area only brought in the Montana level models and not the Legacy models. This is his error because the basic Montana level does not have the bling the Legacy does. There was and has been much discussion on this subject of making the Mountaineer units into the Montana and adding the next step or Legacy. We told them at the Fall Rally that it may kick back at them and the buyers may head to other brands because of this and the age long idea/s of the Montana. IF you want to see some of the Legacy units come on up to Omaha and see what Leach Camper Sales in Council Bluffs have in stock. You can go in their website and check them out also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
If you are talking about the Tampa Show, they did have some Legacy models their.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
And, my dealer, Tiara RV has 2 or 3 Legacy's, a Big Sky and some regular Montanas. They have a 2015 Mountaineer setting beside a Montana. The only difference I could see was, 1 said "Mountaineer" and the other didn't. Colors were very similar. But, for some reason our 331 RLT has beige and chocolate brown. Even when I showed a picture of ours to some of my former cohorts at customer service, they could not believe the colors! So, not sure what we have. At least it says "Montana" on it!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks Rich and Rondo for the info ... you're right about peoples perceptions of the Montana line ... when they see what a "Montana" has slid down to ... it may bite back at them. I want a Montana but I have to upgrade to get what I have always perceived a Montana to be??? Upgrade means $$$$$ in about anybody's book. As for the Goshen Rally to see where it all comes together ... there's still a lot of us punching the ole time clock. We have vacation time built up, but other opportunities beckon us well ahead of a rally ... especially if you have kids that on occasion share vacation time still. Someday a rally will work itself to the top of my bucket list, but not for a while.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
It seems change is a constant but personally we like the rear cap that used to come with each and every Montana.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Sometimes it appears that Keystone thinks we are only puppets that will dance a jig for them regardless of how they pull the strings! I am done with them. Have bought my last from them!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
No back cap = fugly IMO. I wouldn't buy one. BIG mistake by Keystone.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #17
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

X2, bought current rv BECAUSE of the styling of the front and rear caps along with all of the other 'comfort' items and build quality. I did not want a Mountaineer nor did I want a High Country, I wanted a Montana (no offence meant to owners of those units). MONTANA to me has always been a more affordable 'UPPER END' unit denoted by its construction quality, interior styling, upgraded features AND exterior appearance. With the generic flat back wall it's no different in appearance than any other unit that I have owned in the past. Now I have to UPGRADE to the molded rear cap, solid hardwood cabinet framing AND suspension like I currently have? BS! Not sure if anyone else noticed but the 'standard' suspension on the NEW Montana's (Mor/Ryde CRE 3000)is the SAME as what is standard on the Cougar line! REALLY?! This makes me wonder if they are scrimping on these items what else are they cutting corners on....... Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tweber502

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

X2, bought current rv BECAUSE of the styling of the front and rear caps along with all of the other 'comfort' items and build quality. I did not want a Mountaineer nor did I want a High Country, I wanted a Montana (no offence meant to owners of those units). MONTANA to me has always been a more at for cable box 'UPPER END' unit denoted by its construction quality, interior styling, upgraded features AND exterior appearance. With the generic flat back wall it's no different in appearance than any other unit that I have owned in the past. Now I have to UPGRADE to the molded rear cap, solid hardwood cabinet framing AND suspension like I currently have? BS! Not sure if anyone else noticed but the 'standard' suspension on the NEW Montana's (Mor/Ryde CRE 3000)is the SAME as what is standard on the Cougar line! REALLY?! This makes me wonder if they are scrimping on these items what else are they cutting corners on....... Tim
That funny, our lowly flat back 2015 Mountaineer has a SRE 4100 longer travel suspension system.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
grayghost03 ... I don't think anyone is intentionally dissing anothers choice of Keystone product. This thread has pointed out 2 glaring facts that current "Montana" owners have witness at recent RV shows. No rear cap on new Montanas and obvious lesser choice of suspension components comparable to Keystones midrange line of fivers. To get these items back, we have to "upgrade" to a Legacy.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Not worried about it. Just pointing out the different suspensions I think most understand the the Mountaineer line became Montana base model, Legacy package was added to give a mid price point, Big Sky top price point. Big Sky are sitting unsold around here, no interest. The rest are selling.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote