Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #21
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
As far as the tires, axles and brakes, it is several years past due! Remember the Cambridge Keystone built back in 2005 and 2006? They should have done this on those heavy units back then. There are a couple other manufacturers that come to mind that should be doing this, too!

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tires, axles and brakes upgrade yes IF they are quality items. Build quality is the huge issue. Keystone could get a huge advantage on other manufacturers by improving build quality.

There is no way I would pay a dollar more for the same build quality as we got in this 2013 Big Sky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #23
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I was not going to comment on this topic. I changed my mind. Redwood RV and Montana are in fact owned by Thor. They share floor plans etc. I looked seriously at Redwood. Two things I learned about the so called "higher end RVs". They drop like rocks in value. People who can pay cash for an RV, don't normally by used. It's a fact. Montana's resale is far and away better than Redwood, Carriage etc. of course companies ( carriage ) that went BK have another problem. Banks don't loan on their trailers. Lenders that do loan get higher less attractive interest rates. All high end units take a huge hit when sold. Up to 40% first day off the lot! Just two weeks ago I was offered a brand new 2013 Redwood 3750 style, with MSRP $122,000. It was offered to me for $81,500.00. Oh and still had room to negotiate! I know the tricks of msrp, but just like custom builds like New Horizons, the used market is brutal. Our Montana's on the other hand have "name recognition" and generally retain more of their initial value. People will forgo some of the glitz for value. As far as having the best RV in the Park, well if I want to impress someone, I drive the Bentley! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Well I thought I did the research before I just slapped down a chunk of change to get my 2014 3100RL Big Sky, to be delivered in February, but now you guys are making me nervous. I bought for the reputation, layout, and 4 season appeal. I certainly saw quality issues on the units in the lot, but was hoping that was due to the daily wear they get. Now it sounds like I should expect issues, maybe many, and be prepared to work through them with the dealer and mfg.

One frustration for us was that we put our order in about Nov 18th, had the floor plan we really liked in the bathroom, but guess what...THEY CHANGED IT ON US without any warning. I found out while showing a friend on the web. Needless to say I was surprised and saddened that my dealer didn't even know it changed. If this is how Montana works with the dealership, I'm scared how they'll work with an owner. My fingers are crossed, and I'll keep reading all these great posts to know what to watch out for. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what arrives.

One thing is for sure, there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this site that is second to none! Thanks to all for the great threads.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

Well I thought I did the research before I just slapped down a chunk of change to get my 2014 3100RL Big Sky, to be delivered in February, but now you guys are making me nervous. I bought for the reputation, layout, and 4 season appeal. I certainly saw quality issues on the units in the lot, but was hoping that was due to the daily wear they get. Now it sounds like I should expect issues, maybe many, and be prepared to work through them with the dealer and mfg.

One frustration for us was that we put our order in about Nov 18th, had the floor plan we really liked in the bathroom, but guess what...THEY CHANGED IT ON US without any warning. I found out while showing a friend on the web. Needless to say I was surprised and saddened that my dealer didn't even know it changed. If this is how Montana works with the dealership, I'm scared how they'll work with an owner. My fingers are crossed, and I'll keep reading all these great posts to know what to watch out for. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what arrives.

One thing is for sure, there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this site that is second to none! Thanks to all for the great threads.
It will be fine. Remember all RVs have issues. They are complicated homes on wheels. Your on a site where people can communicate about issues openly. Also remember some peoples expectations are perhaps higher than they should be. Cars, trucks, RVs have many components. Things can and do go wrong. It's how your dealer and manufacturer handle the problems. I owned very expensive boats. On delivery I always had a punch list, "issues". It's part of the process. My Montana has not been without issues. They all have been addressed. My buddy took delivery last year on a 1.4 million dollar Newell motor coach. It's been in the shop, many many times. It's part of the shake down. Your attitude and outlook on life will be important in this purchase. I learned years ago to listen to others with careful ears. Their problems may be overstated or simply blown out of proportion. Montana's are great rigs and will serve you well, just do a careful PDI and ask questions. Oh and have fun!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After owning a Montana for 7 years and not without issues our expectations on the 2013 3402 Big sky was a better quality unit. It isn't. yes the resale on my 06 3400 was very good. I got top dollar and yes all my issues were addressed by the dealer, Keystone customer service and my extended warranty.

Bottom line is that after 7 hears and making the 06 3400 into a unit that it should have been off the line in hind sight we should have kept it. My fault and we will work through our bad decision.

Others may have a very positive experience with their purchase.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #27
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

x2 I have been monitoring the Redwood site for a little while. They are having most of the same repair issues and a few different ones Montana doesn't have. Redwood made a lot of changes to their RV's for 2014. Michelle and Ann; it sounds like you know first hand about RW(now loaded SOB.)
Redwood has not had anywhere near the issues of both build and quality control that has been seen within the Montana line up over the past two years. Yes, Redwood has had a few issues, but the overall comparison is not equal. The Montana is not in the same league as the Redwood or Mobile Suites, Estates, or Elite Suites. I am looking forward to seeing the new Big Sky in person at an upcoming show.
That was my point but better stated. Increasing pricing could also drive potential customers to these models.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Great post. After 10 years of part time rv'ing with 3 different rigs. 2 TTs and now our 2014 Montana 3900FB we have ALWAYS had our share of issues. We are currently in San Diego CA on a weeks vacation (our 4th trip in our new rig) and I just added the linoleum in the master bath is bubbling and coming up to our continously growing punch list of needed repairs. Yes we really wish things like this wouldn't happen but as a mechanic / vibration analyst for many years I know things like this do and will happen. Between the extreme hot and cold temperatures we experience in Bakersfield CA and the vibration the rig is subjected to going down the road it's very realistic to expect these types of issues weather it's a low end TT or a million dollar motor home. I've aways said as an owner of an rv it pays to be a handy man. Aside from everything I just said we still have fun with friends and family and love the rv lifestyle.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

It will be fine. Remember all RVs have issues. They are complicated homes on wheels. Your on a site where people can communicate about issues openly. Also remember some peoples expectations are perhaps higher than they should be. Cars, trucks, RVs have many components. Things can and do go wrong. It's how your dealer and manufacturer handle the problems. I owned very expensive boats. On delivery I always had a punch list, "issues". It's part of the process. My Montana has not been without issues. They all have been addressed. My buddy took delivery last year on a 1.4 million dollar Newell motor coach. It's been in the shop, many many times. It's part of the shake down. Your attitude and outlook on life will be important in this purchase. I learned years ago to listen to others with careful ears. Their problems may be overstated or simply blown out of proportion. Montana's are great rigs and will serve you well, just do a careful PDI and ask questions. Oh and have fun!
vibetech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #29
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I am not going fulltiming till Oct 1 2014. I will order a Big Sky in March or April allowing time for us to work out the kinks or bugs before fulltiming. I am fully expecting for the unit to go back in to the dealer for warrenty repairs. I am buying a new truck months early expecting it to have to go back to the dealer for repairs and updates. I also know we will have a learning curve to adjusting to fulltiming. I just expect failures in these MOBILE CONDO'S. I don't want them, I will complain, be inconvienced and wonder why it couldn't have been manufactured better or differently. No dought you will be reading about the problems with my RV. I have been in the automotive repair business for the last 10 years and see daily problems that never should have happined or corrected years before and the manufacturer just keeps on cranking out crap!!!
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #30
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
I agree with all the posts above about expecting issues. It's just a shame that quality isn't build in from the get-go. One would think that after Montana has been cranking out RVs this long, they would know what works and what doesn't. Fortunately I am capable of dealing with almost any repair needed after the extended warranty expires, but if the issues come up because quality was a significantly lower priority than price, it's very frustrating and a statement about what has happened to the USA manufacturing base. I'll keep my fingers crossed, hope for the best, and expect the worst. I can't be disappointed that way. I'm also excited to see what finally arrives in February. I guess it will be a surprise either way!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Makes no difference if you buy a $10k pull behind or a $1m+ Prevost...both will have "issues."
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Very true, BUT if you can afford the Prevost you can hire someone to take care of the small stuff.
The rest of us invested a majority of what we had in our rigs, so we must take care of the small stuff and even some of the not so small stuff ourselves.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Very true, BUT if you can afford the Prevost you can hire someone to take care of the small stuff.
The rest of us invested a majority of what we had in our rigs, so we must take care of the small stuff and even some of the not so small stuff ourselves.
I will agree with you. That said, any home requires repairs, upkeep and maintenance. No matter how you use your RV , full time or recreationally it's the cost of ownership. When my friends talk to me about owning an RV, I say " it's only slightly cheaper than a boat"! Extended warranty and a reasonable slush fund is necessary! Tires alone can cost 2K. It reminds me of a thing that bugs me. People who "hang" onto my hand rail going up stairs in the. 3750. I say it's there to stabilize you, not handle 250 lbs of your weight or withstand leaning in it ! It's a trailer ! Lol
Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We all expect to have problems with our rigs and deal with them on our own $$ if necessary. The manufacturers know that and count on that so there is no need to improve build quality.

The serous issues on our 06 3400 only cost us under 300.00 on the extended warranty and zero $$ under the manufacturers warranty but the actual cost was in the thousands of $$$.

We had about 4,000 $$ in upgrades like the Mor Ryde Is system, brakes , tires Holding tank bracing, etc .No way to put a $$ figure on the many minor issues we do ourselves. The 13 3402 is on a course for about the same experience.

We have decided that the Mor Ryde IS system will not go on this 13 3402as we see it as putting good money after bad. We will get it up to standards sell it and take our losses. Caulk it up to lessons learned.

Our Montana's have served us well and provided us a magic carpet to enjoy our great adventure over the last 7 years.

So have both our Ford trucks with zero problems and they went everywhere the Montana,s went??

We spoke to soon. We had the very first problem with the truck. The left turn signal rear on our 08 F-350, 62,346 miles and 72 months in service burnt out this AM. trip to ford dealer 2 miles away 2.85 for the bulb and 15 mins to remove and install new bulb. Ford has got to improve on their build quality...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds like you need a new truck Rich??? Starting to fall apart, next thing you know it will be Found On Road Dead!! Hee Hee!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I like new things Bingo which sometimes leads to a not so good experience. This is the longest we have had a truck we usually trade off every 3 years or so. we saw all those new Ford trucks at the dealership this AM and it was hard to pass them by.

Most of the reason for the purchase of the Big Sky was that we just wanted the new "things". We are here in usually very warm Florida and having a great experience that our Montana's allowed us to have. It has been over two weeks and nothing new has failed(of course we have not moved) and as long as we do not fill the gray and galley tank to full we do not have a wet stinky pad. The Eterabond repair held on the leak in the lower part of the galley tank. Many new drain holes in the underbelly will prevent further water build up should they or the other tanks leak.

We are not deterred we are pros at dealing with RV failures.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #37
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
MDL, we also did a bunch of research before we purchased and when I landed here I had a couple sick to my stomach moments. But in reality things have been good to this point. I've found a couple good mobile guys that I can call if things go south. So far they've only been needed for upgrades. Minor issues, that i've also experienced in my other units, i've handled.

The only real concern I have today is a major failure that may require a visit to the dealer (Frame flex, tank failure or the roof caving in). Since we fulltime this would be a major inconvience plus my dealer doesn't have the greatest repair reputation thus the mobile guys. I negotiated an additional discount right before I signed the paper work to cover mobile repairs. The last minute negotiation on my part was helped by the fact that the local Redwood dealer had a mobile tech that is onsite in our home park most every week. BTW my SOB 5'er experienced a frame crack so I know it's all part of the price of ownership.

We looked hard at the RW and Big Sky but in the end I didn't want the full body paint and figured I could apply the other lipstick cheaper.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #38
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Artemus, the number of Big Sky units produced in 2013 given to you troubled me. I did contact Keystone and the produced BS units for 2013 was over 300 units. fyi.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #39
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
That was me that said B S only produced 66 units last year. Mark (Keystone sales rep) at the fall rally said they only made about 1 per week. Mike (Keystone sales rep) told me two weeks before Christmas They produced 66 Big Sky units last year. Thats my story and I'm sticking too it.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #40
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not sure about the 1 per week statement, I would think 1 per day would be more realistic which would correlate with the 300 statement versus 66. George and I ordered our Big Skys at about the same time and they came off the line a day apart.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote