Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Back pain remedies????

I would like to hear from anyone that suffers from chronic low back pain and what you do for it. A diagnosis of your problem would be helpful also. For example, I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease of L4-L5 and take ibuprofen and Oxycodone when it is really bad. Cathy had a 7mm bulging disc at L4-L5 and was prescribed the same things....Her disc is back in place but still has the pain. Also, has anyone used the Laser Spine Institute for care????? Thanks

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I have had an L4/L5 lamenectomy, 25 yrs ago. Was paralyzed in my left leg. Awoke from surgery with no pain for first time in yrs. Slowly over the yrs, and my over doing it the pain came back . OverThe last 2 yrs it has become serious again. I recently saw a Neuro suergeon at Duke. He said I had scoliosis, stenosis and arthritis with 4 bulging discs. He prescribed using steroid shots and if unsuccessful then something else. As the pain at this point has subsided, we are doing nothing unless it returns. You have my compassion. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I have the same thing at the same locations where I have pain and burning down the right leg and if I stand too long get a lot of pain in my hips to where I got to sit no matter where I am at. The most relief I got was from RFL, that's Radio Frequency Leasion. It is where they insert wires into your back right along side the nerves causing the pain and then zap them with radio freq. which burns the nerves. It did give me lots of relief from the pain and almost felt normal. Buuuut, it only lasts for 1 year and then the nerves grow back. I am going to head in to talk with my pain doc when we get back off this trip and see if they have any other remedies.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I think walking a lot helps me more than anything . Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
When I had my first back operation I woke up in the recovery room and knew immediately that I was "fixed"! I was excited. And that operation was good for about 15 years. Then I injured it again. Second operation was not as successful. So since the last operation in the early 90s I've been fighting chronic pain.

Phil there are lots of "Don'ts" and a few "DOs". Bending and twisting are pretty much "no-no,s"! The doctor did say that walking was the best thing to do! I think swimming is also on the "good" list.

To deal with the pain I take a lot of some powerful Vicodin. When I have a bad episode like recently I also get some Oxycontin. Between the two pain meds that will usually take care of it for awhile.

I've tried just about everything. Tried chiropractic. Tried acupuncture. I use both heat and cold from time to time. I also tried the electric shock thing. But nothing has ever created any long lasting relief. So now I just try to stay ahead of the pain with the meds. Generally that is enough to keep me going.

Phil and all the rest..... I wish you all the best. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I had an L4/L5 - S1 nerve lamenectomy 1.5 yrs ago. Was partially paralyzed in my right leg. Worked great and all back problems have disappeared. Doctor told me to NEVER lift more than 25 pounds and if I was 10 years older, he would have recommended to fuse my back. So I try to follow orders and so far so good.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I would like to hear from anyone that suffers from chronic low back pain and what you do for it. A diagnosis of your problem would be helpful also. For example, I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease of L4-L5 and take ibuprofen and Oxycodone when it is really bad. Cathy had a 7mm bulging disc at L4-L5 and was prescribed the same things....Her disc is back in place but still has the pain. Also, has anyone used the Laser Spine Institute for care????? Thanks
I had three fusions in California in 2008 along with four laminectomies in the lumbar area. For two years I felt like a million bucks until I fell going down to the beach in San Diego (slipped on some sand covering a cement boat ramp). Suffered the next two years until having additional back surgery in March of this year in Lubbock, TX which included redoing three of the laminectomies. Surgeon says he got it all.

I checked with Laser Spine Institute and they said that since I already had had surgery, they wouldn't attempt to help me. However, I have a good friend who went to them and is no longer in any kind of pain.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I fell in my late twenties and ended up with a bulging disk and a pinched nerve. It's been so many years ago that I have forgotten the designation, but it's were the nerve comes out to your left leg. Steroid shots got it better and the doctor put me on bent leg sit ups and pulling my knees into my chest stretching exercises. I do them every morning without fail. I learned the hard way about skipping a few days. When I did and it got bad I laid on the floor, put my feet on the couch so that my thighs were at a 90 degree angle and had a heating pad under that part of my back. Usually took a couple of days and the most painful part was some of the TV shows I had to watch.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had lower back pain from a sciatica nerve some years back. I was inactive, sat at a desk for hours on end, gained too much weight and there was nothing that would eliminate the pain, but you have something more serious. In my case I didn't like taking pain medication and just kinda took the pain. It was probably no where near as bad as what many of you have gone through.

Now I've lost most of the weight I gained (keeping steady at about 170-172), don't sit so long and don't have the pain anymore. Keep up with what's causing it and I hope the doctors can do something reasonable to fix it.

Best of luck with this. Same for you others that have or are going through this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I also had a low back laminectomy several years back- The secret to a pain free future is to follow the surgeons advice regardng religiously doing the stretching exercises EVERY day- If I ocassionly miss a day, I pay a price the next few days- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Phil,

If you haven't already received a second opinion, I can highly recommend Dr. Daniel Lieberman, AZ Center for Neurosurgery for both you and your wife's spinal problems. He performed a cervical discectomy and fusion for me in March of this year and I am completely satisfied with the outcome. He also reviewed my lumbar MRI at the time and while I don't yet have the problems you do, my time is coming and I will return to him for correction.

I also did some research on the Laser Spine Institute and found them to be highly recommended. The only thing that stopped me from pursuing their procedure is the mandatory $17,500 up front payment that is required of Medicare patients.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
It sounda like you guys have a much worse condition than I had but for what it is worth I found taking Naproxen really helped. It is a mild pain pill and an antiinflamitory.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

Phil,

If you haven't already received a second opinion, I can highly recommend Dr. Daniel Lieberman, AZ Center for Neurosurgery for both you and your wife's spinal problems. He performed a cervical discectomy and fusion for me in March of this year and I am completely satisfied with the outcome. He also reviewed my lumbar MRI at the time and while I don't yet have the problems you do, my time is coming and I will return to him for correction.

I also did some research on the Laser Spine Institute and found them to be highly recommended. The only thing that stopped me from pursuing their procedure is the mandatory $17,500 up front payment that is required of Medicare patients.
Thanks Mike, I will look into this Dr. I, also, was put off by the Laser Spine Institute. The Dr that owns the place accepts Medicare payment, however, the surgical center, THAT HE OWNS, does not. Sort of a bait and switch operation.... , Of course, with the low medicare reimbursement rates, I almost don't blame him. He could make it clearer on his website though, would have saved me a trip. I did the initial eval with him, he said he could help me and then commenced to tell me about the fees for the surgical center. He then told me he could do the surgery at a medicare approved hospital but he could not do as good a job because they don't have his special instruments that he uses at his center. That's what I want, a less than perfect surgery, Yeah right!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

Phil,

Thanks Mike, I will look into this Dr. I, also, was put off by the Laser Spine Institute. The Dr that owns the place accepts Medicare payment, however, the surgical center, THAT HE OWNS, does not. Sort of a bait and switch operation.... , Of course, with the low medicare reimbursement rates, I almost don't blame him. He could make it clearer on his website though, would have saved me a trip. I did the initial eval with him, he said he could help me and then commenced to tell me about the fees for the surgical center. He then told me he could do the surgery at a medicare approved hospital but he could not do as good a job because they don't have his special instruments that he uses at his center. That's what I want, a less than perfect surgery, Yeah right!!!
For what it's worth, my first surgery (with three fusions) was performed by a neurosurgeon Dr. Alfred Shen in Rancho Mirage, CA. My second surgery was performed by neurosurgeon Dr. Martinez in Lubbock, TX. I can highly recommend both of these doctors. They are both no nonsense professionals and will not do anything that is not necessary.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
Not sure if mine was a serious. But had a steroid shot in the spine which helped then was scheduled for the second one but the insurance company and hospital got into a dispute so never had the second one. I did exercises which my PT daughter recommended and that pretty much took care of it. Lay on the floor and basically do a push up keeping your hips and legs on the floor. The other is to be on the floor on hands and knees and strech out one leg at a time, as you progress you can do a leg and opposite arm at the same time. Worked for me. When ever I start to feel a twinge in the back I do them and wards the pain off. Also take anything out of back pockets and use a good lumbar support while sitting especially while driving.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
I pulled my back 20 years ago and then again when i did the swan fall off a roof and ended up 3 months on my back. The The one thing i suffered with was lower back pain, but since nothing was broken or out of alignment, the Dr had me in PT everyday for 6 weeks.
The one thing i did learn was back exercises everyday for strength and mobility of the lower spine.
Before they start the cut procedures, i think i would ask the Dr if Extensive PT might get you out of the woods. Those PT people sure understand how to get the muscles wroking right.
I now do my back exercises every day and it sure made a differance.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote