Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OZZ. we also purchased that same ESP plan and have not yet had to use it but your experience is a great example of how valuable they can be.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #42
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
I totally agree......I recently used the ESP on a radiator crack.......cost Ford $1400.00!!! Well worth having it! D
Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #43
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ozz, I had my F350 for 14 months, racked 42,000 miles on it and had it to the dealership over 19 times for the same problems. The last time it was at the shop for 11 days and Ford blamed it back to a plugged fuel filter (which was not true, but who am I to say anything). I had the computer update three weeks ago and the only thing it changed was the amount of turbo boost the motor could produce. I used to push 30+ psi and following the update max was approx. 22psi. Motor still ran like crap - regeneration still happened every 200/250 miles, blew white smoke that made it look like the motor was on fire every time it rained, I went through a car wash, or the humidity was high. Needless to say, Ford never stood behind this truck. Last week I dumped it and bought a new rig. Moral of my story, I hope Ford stands behind your truck, because they sure did not stand behind mine.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..You got a bad one and it is good that you got rid of it. We do not note any difference in turbo boost with the new flash. Ours runs like a fine swiss watch, regenerats @ ever 500 miles, never blew white smoke and the MPg's are not bad. Ford should take your truck apart and see what they did wrong.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ahhh, just got a call...another call.. from the head mechanic, they said the Ford engineer did not show today as scheduled, but he called and spoke with the head mechanic. The mechanic asked if I had unusual regen..I said if every 3rd day is unusual yes. He said the Regen pressures are 3 times what they should be, symptoms of a clogged exhaust. I told him to .... fix it.
He said the Ford Engineer promised to be there tomorrow.
This coming Tuesday: Tomorrow, it will be 3 weeks.
I'm kind of liking the 2011 Ford Flex I'm driving, fancy leather seats, have it loaded down to the overloads with tools, Refrigerant, parts, hope it holds up....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #46
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Your Ford dealer should be all over the FSE (Field Service Engineer) to get out there and help them figure this out as they are burning thru TAP/rental car $$ and Ford only pays for a certain amount after that it is on the dealerships' dime.

It sounds like the "brick" as we call it (aka Diesel Particulate Filter) needs to be replaced along with the rear turbo.

Just my opinion, but it does make for a nice parts sale to dear old Ford Motor Company!!

Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #47
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Ed, please stay tuned, you sound like you know what's up..
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #48
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The super-mechanic/engineer from Ford agreed there was something they were actually going to have to put a wrench on.
They tried to tell me there was air intake noise...no wait, they changed that to: air making noise from my air horns.
I came unglued and told them I would not take that as a fix (being polite and not saying the bad words I used..)
So, now I have to come get the truck from the dealership, pull ALL of my aftermarket items off; horns, camera, wiring, compressor air tank... I think they are planning on replacing the rear turbo; taking off the cab from the frame.
Someone shake me and wake me up from this nightmare.... 3 weeks yesterday they have had it.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #49
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Wow; in that situation I would get a second opinion from another qualified and reliable Dealer to give that comfort level. Sounds real strange and evidently they do not know what they are doing. In my many cases of Auto/Ag warranty or otherwize repair I always worked with the Tech to come to a conclusion that was agreeable by both of us. On my first problem with the 09 Heater/AC modulator I worked with the Tech on the phone until he said "I found the problem"!! Nothing worse than working with the service writer, advisor or sometimes even the Service Manager and then having that second hand info going to the tech. IMHO. Hope this all works out well for you in the end.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #50
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As a fulltimer who drives his truck on a daily basis, I could not put up with my vehicle being in the shop so much. I really don't know how you guys put up with it. We have been very lucky with our '08 Chevy as it has only been in the shop once to have the Windshield Wiper Fluid Heater removed and they paid us $100.00 for that luxury item going away. (Who needs it anyway??)

I sure hope Ford resolves your problems to your liking......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #51
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
The dealer is having you remove these items??? We certainly wouldn't require you to remove these things in order to diag your concerns, if anything we would end up removing them, tagging them with name and setting them in a safe place to re-install after the required warranty work.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #52
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Golleey Ozz, I was thinking about trading for a new truck. Now I think I will keep my old one for a while longer. Only got 68,000 on it. Hardly broke in. Guess I'll have to persue the camper trade a little further....Hope everything works out for you. I think someone is trying to pull the fuzz over your eyes. If the computer don't tell them what is wrong with your truck, they sure can't tell you or how to fix it. Sure not old school mechanics...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #53
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

The dealer is having you remove these items??? We certainly wouldn't require you to remove these things in order to diag your concerns, if anything we would end up removing them, tagging them with name and setting them in a safe place to re-install after the required warranty work.
This came from the Factory engineer, he was the one that made the condition that he would work on it IF I removed everything that was not factory. I can't really argue with that, I understand.
I just brought it home and am wolfing down a sandwich, was out today installed 2 A/C units and have my service guy running calls.
Lucky the accessories come out easier and quicker than they went in...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #54
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
At least they wouldn't grow legs and walk off at the dealership!!!