Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Goodyear Marathon Picture

Ironically, while on our way to see LonnieB to replace all of our trailer tires. We had two blowouts on the same day 150 miles apart!

My Pressure Pro went off for the first flat and I made it to the shoulder. When I got out of the truck, I could hear the air going out of the tire. I turned off the Pressure Pro to stop it from beeping. I forgot to turn it back on and NOBODY has two flats on the same day!

The second tire blew out at 60 mph on I-40 150 miles later. This time there is damage to the trailer, apparently just cosmetic. It took about an hour and half for someone to show up with a new tire. They had a replacement Goodyear Marathon for which they only charged $148 but they charged $90 to mount the new tire!

Lonnie looked at the first tire that went flat and said it looks like it was caused by belt separation. Since the second tire blew all over the road I will never know what caused it to blowout.

I now have the Bridgstone Durivs LT tires that LonnieB recommends so often.

Thanks Lonnie

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
That sucks. I lost 2 Goodyear Marathon tires this past June on a Sunday in Idaho. Try finding tires in Idaho on a Sunday. Not real easy ...... Pressure Pro saved me from damage on both tires. What I do is once the alarm goes off and I pull off and identify the problem then I remove the Pressure Pro Transmitter/Sensor from the wheel. This will stop the alarm and it will appear on the console as a position that is not reporting. So even if I forget to reinstall the Transmitter/Sensor after fixing the tire it is only that one tire that is not reporting.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Terrible! Sounds like nobody got hurt.
I lost one and almost another last winter. Goodyear marathons from China. I was lucky to catch them before they blew. Tire separation was the cause.
I have BFG Commercial TA's now.
I hope someone at Keystone reads about these tires on this site. Maybe someday they will stop putting these junk/dangerous tires on their trailers/5ers.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

I lost one and almost another last winter. Goodyear marathons from China. I was lucky to catch them before they blew. Tire separation was the cause.
I hope someone at Keystone reads about these tires on this site. Maybe someday they will stop putting these junk/dangerous tires on their trailers/5ers.
What can Keystone do? There are so many trailer tire manufacurers out there, and Keystone can't put truck tires on the units.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

What can Keystone do? There are so many trailer tire manufacurers out there, and Keystone can't put truck tires on the units.
They can and have put LT tires on. My 2005 Keystone Montana has LT tires on it as oem.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Keystone told me they can't put LT tires on trailers and they are putting Goodyear G614's on their new Big Skys.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Two tire failures 150 miles apart on a new trailer! Obviously with the pressure monitoring system the pressures were up to snuff. IMO a good pressure monitoring system is well worth the investment. Especially with the amount of failures out there.

There isn't many days that go by in this forum that someone doesn't post a tire failure experience with the OEM tire. IMO a good G rated tire should be standard equipment when the weights are up around the limits of an E rated tire before taking into account the Marathons are JUNK! Why doesn't Keystone recognize this? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the lowest bidder is the reason.....

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
There is a rumor that the manufacturer must use ST tires in order get the RVIA sticker. If this is fact, several manufacturers are ignoring it...I've seen LTs on a number of new rigs.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
My 2001 Montana came with LT tires and they were the same size and brand as Ford had put on my truck.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
I just have to say this: 'it's the lowest tender and that's what you get". It is a shame in some ways but when buying a 5th wheel that is likely the last item we would querie. Even in the automotive industry tires are not a high priority; look at the law suits with Ford and Firestone a while back!!!
The majority of tires are made overseas and until North America can compete in maybe not quality but cost?!! IMHO.
Some countries make excellent tires and that is not the U.S. or Canada!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I never had any problems with the Goodyear Marathon, but I replaced all five of them with BFG Commercial TA tires three weeks ago. Granted summer time is over, but so far they are running cooler than the Marathon tires did. So far I am pleased with the BFG tires.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Your tire looks just about the same as mine. 1500 miles on it and blam! Am replacing all four with Goodyear G614s from Camping World. Hopefully Goodyear will pay me for the replacement of the rim and at least the cost of a Marathone.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
My 2005 Mountaineer came with Tacoma LT L/R E tires. Still on and doing great. I'll be replacing soon with BFG COMM T/As My DOT date is from Oct, 2004 so its almost that time.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I've been running the Comm T/As on my 2955 for five years now without any hint of a problem. The pressure stays constant every time I measure it, too. I recommend these tires.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also put the BFG Commercial T/A tires on our prior Montana after lots and lots of problems with the Marathons. Never had a problem with the BFG's although we only put 9,000 miles on them before trading the rig. They worked well on our 2003 3295RK but we're heavy enough with this 3400RL that I would probably not put them on it simply because I don't think they have the rating we need. On this one we have the G-rated Goodyear G614 tire.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #16
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Our 3400RL came with Mission tires.Mission, NOT Michelin. After approximately 20,000 miles on the tires we experienced three failures in a 3 month period. I check the tire pressure every morning before driving. The first failure was a blowout with undercarriage damage including damage to the wiring on one electric brake. The second failure was caught during a rest area stop before the tire blew and the third was found while removing the remaining two tires to replace them. The tire tech who looked at #3 said that the belt had ruptured. I looked at the GR614's but the specs call for 110 psi pressure and I wasn't sure that the Aluminum wheels will take 110PSI.I now have a Doran tire pressure monitoring system- something I should have done long ago.After reading many comments about Goodyear Marathons I am reluctant to admit that I went with the Marathons, but I did.The Marathons were the only models available for each of the roadside failures so I stayed with them for the two preventative replacements. Hopefully the little old Chinese lady who grinds up used pencil erasers for raw material to sell to the tire manufacturers used a high grade of eraser for the batch that my tires were made from.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote