Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Weight Advisors

I've been watching posts on "Weight Police" for several years. I take interest in that postition is taken by those who have little or no training, authority, jurisdition, arrest powers or knowledge of what their baliwick would be. If you have to look up baliwick you aren't anywhere close to being associated with police. That's taught 1st week of police academy.
Those so called "weight police" would be better known for what they really are---Weight Advisors.
Lets go with accuracy, isn't that what the Montanna Forum is about, accurate information.
Hugh

HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here in Ohio the Official "weight police" are a branch of the Ohio State Patrol. I do not recall the exact title but it is something like Motor carrier enforcement division and they are only concerned with commerical vehicles and commerical drivers. They are the same folks who inspect school buses every year and being a school bus driver for many years we have had some interesting conversation with them. No they do not check Rv's for weight as RV's do not fall under commerical vehicles however they can stop a RV for "Unsafe conditions , broken trail light, etc and once they do it is open season.
As for me a charter member of the so called forum "weight police" I simply believe that operating within the ratings and specs of the truck and camper is a wise and safe thing to do so I do and would recommend to anyone who askes to do the same..

Weight advisors....I like that..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rich, I agree with you completely. The DOT or Weight and Measures guys are certified in their state or by the federal government which gives them authority and power to do their jobs. They receive POST training. They earned the right to be called weight police.
Hugh
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The term weight police on these forums is nothing more than a tongue in cheek expression (sometimes not complimentary) for those who are quick to jump in and give their opinion on someone's truck/trailer combination. And I think everyone is pretty much aware that those opinions are worth just what you are paying for them.
I doubt that there is an official position/title called "weight police" under any jurisdiction. An officer in the weights and measures division of the department of transportation or something similar maybe.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I for one do not want a newbie to ask a question on this forum and be under the illusion that someone who I thought knew by training had such a title and took the advice as truth. I for one will not use the term weight police but use weight advisors so no such illustion exists.
I would rather be safe than sorry.
Hugh
Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
I agree Hugh. I never liked the weight police term as I am no kind of police and certainly not a expert in the rules and regulations other than being a commerical driver and being aware of the regs that pertained to what I was doing. Actually the real weight police do not like to be called weight police as they do a lot more than that..example in Ohio school bus inspections.. and they are tough. I do not get into those conversataions anymore other than..saying this .. I simply believe that operating within the ratings and specs of the truck and camper is a wise and safe thing to do.

OOpps. I am on as Helen again. This is rich not her.. All of those gals are a lot prettier than me..
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Weight Police/Weight Advisors. Who cares? We all try and help the newbies and if someone gives inaccurate info someone will correct them most quickly. I actually think Rich is correct in what he says, (I simply believe that operating within the ratings and specs of the truck and camper is a wise and safe thing to do.),however, everyone will do what they want anyway. Seems we are leaning towards PC here and that is not a good thing. Before long we will need: Bad smell advisors, gel coat advisors, recliner advisors, EMS advisors and the list goes on. Why can't we just agree to help each other the best we can and drop the titles? It seems to serve no purpose. This is just my humble opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Rich (FAA): Being a resident of Ohio, I'd expect you to be better versed on their laws. The "Flying Wheels" are a part of ODPS and do a myriad of traffic and police duties. Motor carrier, and any other 'common carrier' type duties go to the PUCO.http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Utilit...StopKeyword=TR

On edit: Rich, it used to be anytime the PUCO was setup, there a trooper in attendance to write a ticket if need be. Also the weighmasters at roadside scales had to call a trooper to write overweight tickets. That may have changed since I retired in '93.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I simply believe that operating within the ratings and specs of the truck and camper is a wise and safe thing to do so I do and would recommend to anyone who askes to do the same..

Same here.

Those bad mouthing the WP are normally drivers who have an over weight truck and are trying to justify using it. The anti WP like to say the GVWR is a 'guide' or 'suggestion,' and, as long as you don't tow commercially, you can do whatever you wish. In other words, they make up things to justify what they are doing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
There is a gentleman on the Open Roads Forum that you should only be concerned with your axle ratings when it comes to weights. That is his constant rave when it comes to weights. From his pictures he pulls a travel trailer. I would say the so called weight police are just trying to help newbies to be concerned about staying within the ratings of their vehicles.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I glad that most agree with me that safety is always number one. Phil, You are certainly entitled to your opinion but personally I've never seen or heard of an accident caused by bad orders, gel coat, or recliners. I have observed the after effects of an overweight RV that was unable to stop in time.
I was only attempting to establish accuracy in our posting.
Hugh
Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hugh, please don't think I treat safety lightly as I don't. The topic of your post was weight police versus weight advisors. This is what I was addressing. BOTH terms, in my opinion, denote an air of officiality. For example: a financial advisor is a paid professional. There are many other advisors in our world also. I do not purpurt to be an expert or professional on anything, however, I feel I have experiential information to help newbies. At the cost of forgetting someone, the only expert I know of on this forum is Lonnie B, our resident tire expert from Texico, NM. I'm sure there are other professional and experts here but they have not been identified, except WayneM, who is a expert Marine (lol). So, to reiterate, I feel we are becoming TOO PC and believe we should think twice about this situation. This is my opinion and it has nothing to do with safety. I agree we should provide accurate information and IF I don't, I would expect someone to correct me, hopefully in a respectful manner......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Weight Advisor/Weight Police, I like weight advisor best sounds better I think. Everyday some one will ask on the (Big Board) RV.Net can my Truck pull this. And as usual someone will comment sure it will put it. Wrong answer, we have no idea what they intend on loading into their 5er. It my opinion you should always stay with the limits of the Truck or 5th wheel. The only answer is you have to weigh the Truck and 5th wheel before you know the correct answer. And we all know thats not possible. So there is a need for the Weight Advisor, and its just their OPINION in many cases. However we must remember there are many who have never tow anything before last week but are now experts. Its interesting reading their profile? I as most all MOC members try very hard to give correct information, and most of the time I have learned the hard way trail and error ($$$$$$). I like Weight Advisor. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! I resemble that remark. I am an expert, pronounced XSPURT in Texanese. X is an unknown quantity and SPURT is a drop of water under pressure. Yep! I resemble that remark.

If you think Weight Police/Advisor is bad, you should see the "other" forums regarding the class of license you need to drive RV'S. Wow!

Hey, may be information on weights that certain people always provide should be called Weight Monsters. No confusion then.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The problem I see with weight issues is when a new truck buyer asks for opinions. The over weight drivers are quit to point out how many miles they have driven without a problem. That's fine as long as they would be honest enough to admit being over weight. That way the OP can decide whether or not he wants a truck that is within limits or exceeds limits.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Most of the "weight Police, Weight Advisers, Weight Watchers", or whgat ever else you might prefer calling them would be better advised to put their bathroom scales in the middle of the room, get on it, and confine their 'weight watching' to that! JMHO.:-)
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Let's face it folks, the expression 'weight police' is an emotionally loaded, negative, prejudicial term, usually aimed at someone who expresses an opinion in favor of staying within the manufacturers written vehicle capacities or explains the methodology they used. Changing the words/label will not change the intent behind their usage. I feel any use of these or other negative terms or labels should not be used in our posts, even teasingly or in jest. Disagreement with someones post or an opposing opinion can be expressed without using loaded terminology of this sort. We must always remember that our posts are being read by a lot of folks whom we've never met and our posts define us to them.

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #18
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I don't usually respond in these type of posts but I like countryfolks
take on it.
"weight police" is usually used in a condescending way and I don't like it. Just give the facts would be the most helpful to all.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Expert can be defined as follows: EX-is a has been, SPURT- a drip under pressure.
This is no reflection on anyone or anything.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rich (FAA): Being a resident of Ohio, I'd expect you to be better versed on their laws.

Bob...This is the law I know....5503.34. Motor carrier enforcement unit.

There is hereby created in the department of public safety, division of state highway patrol, a motor carrier enforcement unit, to be administered by the superintendent of the state highway patrol. This unit shall be responsible for enforcement of commercial motor vehicle transportation safety, economic, and hazardous materials requirements.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote