Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Trucket List

No, not bucket list.

This is a great forum, and I've learned so much over the past month or so. Will be picking up our new monty in another month, and while we are waiting impatiently we've been putting together our "list" and picking up stuff we will need. However....

What's on your list ? I mean, if someone is new to rving wouldn't it be nice to have a master list of things you will need to have on board BEFORE you pick up your monty ? plug-in adapter, hose, tools,etc ?

So what's on your list ? More importantly, what was on your list that you've found you have absolutely no use for ?

I have recently added a grease gun and one of my air compressors...

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
First thing on your list should be a surge protector. Then a lug wrench, heavy bottle jack, torque wrench, socket set, water filter, pressure regulator, metal stems for the wheels and have them balanced.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Also I found a water softner, that CW sells, its a must in NM, or AZ.
The water is so hard, every 7 to 9 days you put a pd of salt in wait 15 mins and run 15 mins and once a month you back flush it for 15 mins. We were having problems with a heavy white crust on facets Kitchen and bathroom. The unit stopped that. I won't run water without it. Also a dog bone or another term is a 30A to 50A adapter for the park that only have 30A pedelstals. Also CW has the landing leg extendtion, I just put one on its great, if the ground is not level under the landing leg, just adjust it so it touches the block like the other one and you are good to go. I just got a blue ox bedsaver its like insurance, you may never need it but if the hitch doesn't hold and it falls on the bed rails you will wish you had one. I'm sure there is more thats all I can think of right now. Hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've been doing this for over 15 years, FT for 2 1/2 and we don't have any of the above except for socket set, torque wrench and adapter for 30/50.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I know this has been brought up before. You might want to do a search on it through the Search engine at the top of the page but here are a few suggestions I have!
If you are going fulltime or even if not, I'd say in the kitchen- anything you would use at home(pots&pans(stackable if possible) smaller baking sheet/s, smaller baking pan/s and etc). We use a hand and/or battery powered can opener. The usual cups, dishes and glasses (we use plastic or unbreakable type)and if you are a wine drinker, some wine glasses, silverware, sharp knives cutting boards,strainer . Usual mix of spices used. Some smaller plastic storage containers and/or assorted plastic ziplock bags for leftovers, and etc. Possibly a crockpot for easy dinners when you are out exploring and/or the unit sits and for use at Rallies along the way you'll be attending. I'm sure there are things I've missed but others will be along on this also.
Outside- items mentioned previously but two or three hoses(1 or 2 RV/marine water hoses for fresh water and a hose to use for rinsing out the black water tank and or sewer hoses), an extra sewer dump hose is nice because you sometimes cannot reach the sewer dump with just one section of hose that's furnished and possiblly some rubber gloves for working with the sewer line; some shop towels or rags for those greasey jobs ( I also carry a can or jar of waterless handcleaner in the basement) If I think of anything else I'll jump back in!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Chocks for your wheels to take the pressure off the front legs when hitching up. I keep a 30amp female to 20amp male just in case I don't have 30 or 50 amp service. Yes I have used it. Just keep fridge and water heater on propane.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Holey Moley...No wonder we are so heavy....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
So what's on your list ? More importantly, what was on your list that you've found you have absolutely no use for ?

clock
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Things we use regularly outside: water pressure regulator, inline water filter, 2 - 25' lengths of drinking water grade hose, water softener (we fulltimed for many years without one, but wouldn't be without it today), a separate 25' garden hose for cleaning purposes, different lengths of sewer hose - a 10' and a 20', connectors for joining same, a rubber donut for sewer connection - some places require them, a plug in polarity tester to check campground power EVERY TIME YOU PLUG IN. Inside: Rondo's list is pretty complete. Tools: Bob has used his cordless drill a lot over the years, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, vice grips, small hammer; plus his 200 lb. box of screws, no just kidding, it's only a 100 lbs. Wheels: a breakout bar with socket to fit your lugs, plus bottle jack along with enough boards to lift the rig and a torque wrench.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
New rigs probably come with an improved King Pin--like a Morryde or something similiar. A must for travel. One handy little tool is the square screw driver that will fit the square screws that are used throughout the RV Industry. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes--Also look for a square drive bit for your battery powered drill. Tire Pressure monitor--A MUST HAVE> In past discussions on the Forum--the estimate including a new King Pin is about $2.5K to $3K for all the REAL stuff you will need to hit the road safely and securely. This is assuming you don't already own the expensive items like the King Pin, Tire Monitors, ect. This Forum will help you find the REAL Stuff!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
NUMBER ONE ITEM before sleeping before in the rig the first time is get a GOOD FOAM FIRE EXTINGUISHER. At least a 1.5 gallon preferably a 3 gallon. The extinguisher that comes with the rigs is barely big enough to put out a frying pan fire. Safety first and I hate to sound like a broken record but RV burn very well and the more fire fighting capability you have the better. Ok, I am now off my soap box. Enjoy the new rig... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Well, hoping you will never ever need it and if you don't already have it, run to your favorite good tool supplier and pick up a socket that fits the lug nuts on your Montana along with a nice big breaker handle with 12 inch extention and a torque drive for the socket. Remember the Montana Owners Manuel instructs to re torque the owner to re-torque the lugs at the prescibed intervals when you first drive it home or where ever after you pick the unit up. You will also be prepared for the next 50,000 miles in case you have to change tires.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK another item would be a socket to fit the anode rod nut for the water heater plus a short extension to put on the socket so you can get it out to check the anode rod. Always remember to shut off both electric and gas to the water heater and let the water cool down some before trying break the rod loose. I don't remember if someone mentioned the white thread tape to put on water fittings and the anode rod before putting it back in. I'm sure I'll think of more as this thread progresses!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Tools and electric adapters are the top priority on our list.

The handiest thing we carry is the 50 to 30 amp adapter. This has been used on every rig we've ever had. Some parks will require that you share the electric hook up and when you get there the 50 amp may be all that is open. Now I realize that most Montana's use the 50 amp cord but we hook up to 30 using a lighter cord. Since we only have 1 A/C everything seems to work just fine on 30 amp.

I've also carried a bottle jack and other than using it on previous rigs to aid in leveling, I haven't used it. I've never used it for changing a tire when out on the road but I wouldn't be caught with out it or the tools to at least change a tire. With all of that I have called for a road service to change a tire once; it seemed the right ting to do at the time.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Wow, great responses. There's a number of things listed that I wouldn't have thought of..until too late. We've pretty well purchased everything for the inside I think, including melamine dishware. This past weekend, we picked up an ice maker and 3 fire extinguishers as well as all the new light fixtures to add to the new cabinet hinges/pulls. Ordering the grill this week, still looking for an outdoor folding table that we like. Tools are no problem...have them all except torque wrench and will be picking that up. Anything else, feel free to jump in and add it ! Thanks again ! Bill
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, after 3 years on the road, you would think I would have plugged all the holes regarding equipment or tool needs. I have just discovered a new tool I need. It is a pair of long-handled (11") needle-nosed pliers to reach inside my furnace to remove and replace a wire to the striker. It is like a left-handed monkey wrench; only needed if you run across a left-handed monkey.

I also carry a small air brad nailer to go with my compressor. I have used it several times to make trim repairs such as when I ripped trim off the slide surround when I had left a door ajar when opening it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #17
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I used to have a left handed monkey but haven't seen him in years ! As a custom cabinetmaker, I always travel with a finish nailer, pin nailer, etc. so those will be on board automatically, as will alot of my other tools. I'll have to look into a bottle jack...I have a floor jack, but maybe better with a bottle jack ?

Still waiting for the flamingo patio lights and shotgun shell bar glasses to arrive. ;*)
Old 03-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #18
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I don't have much to add, most has been covered, and some can be put down to get as you feel you need it. I do carry a bunch of tools and stuff for minor repairs.
Definitely tools for a tire change: Wrenches, sockets, extensions, torque wrench.

I bought a 12 T bottle jack. Smaller will do but I liked the size of the screw better than the smaller ones and it has enough lift to work without too much monkeying. I also made a large plywood pad, 3 layers of 3/4", which will hold both the jack and a jack stand at the same time.
Without the pad, if you are on soft ground and using the jack, the jack will be unstable and so will the stand. The pad made all the difference.
I carry a decent DMM which doesn't need to be expensive.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #19
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I should have added, that if you are really new to all of this as we were three years ago, then arrange to go to a park or somewhere near some rv parts suppliers for a few days to a week. You will find that there are some things you won't have thought about. It was great and saved some hair pulling by being able to nip down to the store and pick up the extras.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #20
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Thanks again for the info. My intent is to pick it up in PA, camp up the road from there (7 miles) overnite to "check for bugs", then bring it home and put it in a park for a week 10 miles from the house. I'll make all the mods there (new lites,hinges,pulls,tv,chairs,etc.) and see what else I might need before we head out to...hmmm...haven't decided that yet.
Bill