Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Leaking window gasket?

I noticed water in the back passenger corner of the camper. Dealer put additional roof sealer around ladder and roof rear corner metal over a month ago. I thought that would fix the problem but I bought a tube of rubber roof sealer just incase. I have kept an eye on it. I realized it may have helped but still some water in corner.

I put additional roof sealer around the ladder where it attached to the roof and all corner metal trim which again to seemed to help but I didn’t think I had stopped it all. The only thing left to try was around the rear and side windows. Excess gasket material was flaking off so I trimmed this off and what was left on the window seemed to be pliable so you would think it was ok. I still had some dampness in the back corner.

I decided to put some clear silicone sealer around the back and side window. We have had a couple rains and no water or dampness in the corner. Is the problem fixed or does this mean I need to replace all the window gaskets?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Cyrus,
I seem to remember that a couple of folks were having that kind of problem. The problem turned out to be that the windows had gotten installed upside down. The weep holes were on the top and not on the bottom where they are needed! The windows should not leak.

Good luck and please let us know how you end up fixing the problem.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I've had the same problems and I've found different leaks on different windows.On one window (right to left slide)the water was running down the center slide and rather going into the catch tray it was running down the wall.On two other windows I fount that the roof tape on top of the slide had some break down and was allowing water in.I have purchased some roof tape and will re-tape the seams.
I have a 2005 3295rk and I'm in mine around 10 months a year plus snowbird every year to southern Fl.from NY.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Has anyone replaced the window gaskets and where do you get the gasket material, maybe Camping World or dealer? Looking at the inside of the window I guess we just take out all those screws or bolts and take the inside frame off and then the window from the outside. This looks like a two person job. I think I have around 11 windows so not something I am looking forward to. I don't think the RTV I put around the two windows is a permanent fix?
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote