Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Boon Docking for Beginners!

We just returned from our first dry camping adventure. To start off, I drove in rain/fog on 101 through Oregon and still have little feeling in my hands from gripping the wheel so tight!

We went to Sand Lakes and met family there for a weekend of camping and quading. We had a total of 5 adults and 2 kids in the Mountaineer, so I thank God the weather was so nice. Gets a little cramped. We did well conserving water and supplies for two days. Short showers (military style?) kept the water levels ok. During the day, we ran the generator to recarge the batteries, but never got below 1/2 level as we have two batteries up front. To solve the CPAP issue as I could not get a DC cord in time, I took a battery jump station, plugged an inverter into it and ran my CPAP for 2 1/2 nights with no problem. Only issue was the battery pack would not charge properly off the generator. Took a full charge when we got home though...

On Sunday, even after explicit instructions, the wife took a leisurely shower followed by my son doing the same thing. That took care of the fresh water tank. Ended up coming home with dirty dishes in the sink as she evidently forgot or didn't get the memo about using paper plates. I was off riding with my grandson and oblivious to the obvious refusal to "follow the rules" of boon docking. Oh well, it was still fun. I think the only thing I would change is maybe less people or a tent or two. It does open up our options for more adventures!

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like a good time to me! Good info on the CPAP - I wouldn't have thought it would run that long on battery/inverter. They must be a really low draw.

Don't you wish your stick house ran so well without utilities? Loose power and water in our house and i't just a well painted barn.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Steve, what is a battery jump station? We're not able to spend a night without power because my wife uses a cpap and we don't have a generator. Sounds like your device would work for us for 1 night stops.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We use a small inverter to run our CPAP machine. We have two batteries on our rig and have never had any trouble running out of power. I think that even with only one battery you could easily run the CPAP all night without running the battery down. We usually run the generator during the day to charge up the batteries. Our CPAP has a 12 volt connector on it but I've not taken the time to get the setup for it. It might be even more efficient on 12 volt.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

A portable jump station is a battery with jumper cables attached to it. You can find them at Costco (thats where I got mine) and Sears has some nice ones. Get one with a little higher wattage. Here is a link to take a quick look.

http://www2.northerntool.com/auto-re...tarters-11.htm

Many have both a 12 volt powere adapter and a 120 volt inverter built in. The best part about these are they come in handy for several different uses and most have a built in light. I take mine everywhere we go in case we need portable power.

Mine lasted the 2 1/2 nights and would have lasted longer except I was using a baorrowed 4000 watt converter which I feel drew alot more power than needed.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
WOW,

I just went to look at the link again and realized this is the actual unit we own and use. I can tell it it lasts (charge) long and even the air pump works well.

Steve
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Thanks Steve, I never thought about using one of those. That's a good idea. Combined with a low power inverter you could probably run a cpap several nights.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
I've just purchased a 5500w/4800w Champion generator and wondered about how the output could be filtered to ensure that the power wouldn't damage the HDTV or Microwave. I contacted the mfg and they sent me a couple of 25amp ckt breakers for the twist-loc outlet, thus allowing me to use the 30 amp connector to power our 3605rl. I completely understand that the 25amp won't fully power the rig, but at least we could watch tv and run the furnace without worry of running down the batteries.
Any suggestions for filtering equipment would be greatly appreciated.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

You might start a new thread for your question - it probably will get lost in this topic.

As far as your question, I wasn't aware a filter was needed. Although not a lot, I've run our HDTV on the Onan. The Apollo is at the bottom of the lake.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stimpy,
You can run a lot of appliances using 25 amps. Just be judicious in what you have turned and when.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I put in a cigar lighter or power 12 vdc outlet next to the bed and just plug the Cpap into it when boon docking. I tied it into the power for the headboard light. If you do it make sure you have it wired correct as I fried my Cpap because I had the polarity wrong.

Happy camping
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
OK, Call me stupid or what ever but, what is a CPAP?
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
A CPAP is for people with sleep apnea.
I am looking at a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter for my machine and run it off the two 12v batteries in the Montana. I am also going to get a 2000 Honda Gen set
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
A Cpap is nothing more than a positive pressure (air compressor) that delivers air into your nose to prevent snoring. Most are 12 VDC systems.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Did you know that aluminum and fiberglass shrink when it gets wet? If you don't agree with me, just spend a weekend with the grandkids in your RV when it is raining.

Yes, the CPAP is a lifesaver and is used to help keep your airway open at night. Some of us have problems with holding our breath too and thus making our oxygen level dangerously low. Most of these machines also have humidifiers built in to keep your throat from drying out. These humidifiers put a goodly amount of moisture in the air also which makes the windows fog up more than normal. I have to leave a couple of windows cracked open to help dispel this moisture.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote