Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
OxyVegas
Established Member

M.O.C. #8523
MOC Helpful Info

Hi everyone. Haven't been too active on the forums. Reading a lot..."lurky Louie."

Due to illness in family, just took the rig out for second time. Stayed 4 days in Beaver, Utah. Got to try out the furnace...37 degrees in morning. Sure beats 106 degrees here in Vegas.

As my subject says, "MOC Helpful Info"- reading these postings saved my butt. As soon as we arrived in Beaver I started to lower landing gear...nothing...no power. DW was staring at me real hard. Remembered the posting on the "pink" wire, I checked it out. Yep, I had blown the little green 30 amp fuse when I over retracted the landing gear when leaving Vegas.
Thanks to whom ever did that posting!

OxyVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It sure is helpful to learn from others. The MOC helped me avoid a number of rookie errors. Glad it helped you too.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sometimes, even with all the MOC forewarning, I still have to learn for myself.

Hope you had a spare. I put an AGC Spade circuit breaker in mine. When it trips, it just takes 10 - 15 seconds to reset. Circuit breakers do weaken over time, but if it's just occasional I figure I'm okay and if it continues and is more frequent, then something needs to be looked into. IMHO

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
OxyVegas,

Say "Hi" to Ed Kamak - he is the local (and only) RV Repair guy, along with AA Rocky Mtn Bail bonds on Main Street. He helped me when we were there in the late fall and our furnace failed. Nice guy!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
OxyVegas
Established Member

M.O.C. #8523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

OxyVegas,

Say "Hi" to Ed Kamak - he is the local (and only) RV Repair guy, along with AA Rocky Mtn Bail bonds on Main Street. He helped me when we were there in the late fall and our furnace failed. Nice guy!
Funny you should mention Ed. Just as I pulled out the fuse, here comes this little brown van with an Indian head on it and a sign that said "RV Repair, etc." Talk about timing! He pulled into a space just one over from me. I walked up to him...asked if he had a fuse like mine for sale. "He said he didn't think so (sounded annoyed, gruff) but you can go to my store in town and buy a package." I said I would but couldn't get the rig off of my truck. He finally opened the back of his van, pulled out a tray of fuses with just the one I needed. Wouldn't take money for it but said he would trust me to come and buy a package at the store. Which I did. Found out later from another RV'er that he charges $50 for a service call....so that's why he was annoyed....?

Then, while I was at his store, we got to talking and I think he was describing you. He warned me about my furnace. Seems he had just repaired a Montana furnace problem and said that there were a couple of real long screws that made it almost impossible to get the unit out of its space. Was that you?

To top it off, we both remembered I had photographed him when he ran for political office in Nevada over 30 years ago....he lost. Small world isn't it.
OxyVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Our first Montana took it's maiden voyage vacation in Beaver, UT. Dory and I left it there and went on to Las Vegas while the mechanics at Chevron replaced the drum, hub, and found a replacement wheel. We picked it up on the way back to Colorado.

It is awkward to pull up to Valet parking in Las Vegas with your clothes and toiletries in black trash bags! Never figured we would need suitcases when we left home with the Monty.

The following year, as we drove through Beaver showing the kids where the wheel fell off the year before, we had 2 treads separate and I got stock with 4 new tires. Nothing against Utah, but we go around now.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I would have liked to have seen a picture of y'all with the trash bags at the hotel. I'll bet there were a lot of looks.

I have a "T" shirt that you could have worn. On the back it says, "Your Trailer Park Called, They Want Their Trash Back!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
That pic brings back painful memories(not just losing the wheel,but the rest of the story was a real learning experience for us)....we lost the same wheel enroute home 2 years ago..(never did find that wheel)...pulled off the roadway onto the shoulder when had a steep grade...thought the trailer was going to fall over on its side.....had to disconnect and go searching for parts to fix it and get us home...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote