Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
help the newbe

I plan to attend a ralley with no electric hook up. I have no generator. I do have two group 24 batteries.

I plan to run what I need on propane, and plan on no furnace. But I may need to run a fantastic fan for ventilation - cooling.

Lights etc should be nominal.

Can this work for 3-4 days in moderate temps?

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Genecurp,

Depending on the condition of your batteries you may be OK. But I'd make friends with someone who has a generator! Or buy a Honda 1000 or better. A 2000 would be even better. That size would give you everything you need in the way of power except AC.

Regarding the generator... any of the major suppliers would be acceptable units. The Hondas are probably the quietest most fuel efficient and dependable units on the market. Yamaha also makes a very good unit. Many folks have gone the Kipor or other China type knockoffs. They work but are not quite as efficient or dependable or quiet as the major brands. Believe me if you camp anywhere near others you want a generator as quiet as possible.

We went out on an outing soon after we got the rig. We did not run the AC but did run the furnace. Naturally it quit working because the batteries were discharged. Fortunately we were camping with a friend who fired up his Honda 1000 and got the battery charged up enough to get the slides in. Was not looking forward to doing that on a manual basis.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I agree with HamRad, but must add that you could leave your cord hooked to your Pick Up Truck and use up the batteries from your truck to run your lights. If you do this take along jumper cables as you may need them and a buddy to start the truck. A QUIET generator is your best bet to maintain power. Many of us also have converted our batteries to two 6V golf cart batteries. Remember that your refrigerator will not work unless you have sufficient 12V power.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

I agree with HamRad, but must add that you could leave your cord hooked to your Pick Up Truck and use up the batteries from your truck to run your lights. If you do this take along jumper cables as you may need them and a buddy to start the truck. A QUIET generator is your best bet to maintain power. Many of us also have converted our batteries to two 6V golf cart batteries. Remember that your refrigerator will not work unless you have sufficient 12V power.
Doug,
When you are hooked up to the truck electrical circuits, does your rig draw on the truck's batteries? Mine doesn't. I thought that when the truck's engine is not running there was no power supplied through the interconnecting cable. I could be wrong but I've left the truck connected to the rig several times for days on end and there was no draw on the truck's batteries. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Orv, you may be right. I always thought that I could use the truck batteries in a pinch. I will have to check that out now that you have mentioned it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We dry camp a few times a year and invested in the Honda 3000 generator. It ran everything we needed including the air conditioner. We did however watch what we had on with the air. It cost about $1800.00 but others had the work site generators and they drove everyone crazy around them. Numerous people asked about ours. Pricey but worth it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I go to the high desert several times a year, if you don't use your heater and are careful about the use of your light you can go four days easily on your 2 batteries, I've done it may times.
I would discounct your TV when parked that long, I have had it draw down my TV batteries before.
You can always hook up your TV and charge your trailer batteries.
That being said a small generator is real handy, I now have a Honda 2000i, But used a Honda 650 for over 10 years could not run the micro or A/C, but it worked great to charge the batteries and run the television.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Many folks have gone the Kipor or other China type knockoffs. They work but are not quite as efficient or dependable or quiet as the major brands.
Dennis, I believe the noise level difference between a Honda and a Kipor is nonexistent. My 3000ti Kipor is extremely quiet. I have had several unsolicited comments over the past two years by people amazed to find out I was even running the gen the few times I have had to fall back on it.

There are other brands that are much noisier than the Honda and Yamaha, but the Kipor is not one of them. I would also describe my Kipor as both efficient and very dependable. I am very happy with my choice of gens.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks, guys. I have been told both ways: the trailer can draw down the truck batteries (or the inverse- the truck can charge the trailer) AND been told that the trailer cannot draw power from the truck. The latest last week I was told it depends on how it's wired.

I was gung ho to buy a generator when buying the 5er. Since I have camped without power exactly once in 2.5 years full time, I just don't see it as needed. I can change that opinion if I get into ralleys, etc. I have decided to wait until I find I really need a generator.

Thanks to all. I appreciate the insites.
Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gene, My sister and BIL have been camping since 1983 and they have never had a generator. It's simple, THEY DON'T BOONDOCK AT ALL. I have only been doing this for 15 months and I bought a Honda 2000. We did boondock at Quartzsite with the MOC and I found it invaluable. I now carry it all the time "Just in case I get the urge to boondock" OR if I'm somewhere when the CG power goes out. At least ole Phil will have power. As so many other things today, it's a personal choice. Happy Camping......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

Thanks, guys. I have been told both ways: the trailer can draw down the truck batteries (or the inverse- the truck can charge the trailer) AND been told that the trailer cannot draw power from the truck. The latest last week I was told it depends on how it's wired.
Like many things, the answer is "it depends". In your case you have a 2006 Ford and it is wired such that turning off the ignition switch deactivates the 12V feed to the trailer plug. Consequently, your trailer can not discharge your TV battery. If you owned a Chevy or Dodge, the answer may (will) be different. You have to watch who answers your questions and what kind of vehicle they are driving.

All TVs regardless of manufacturer, (except the Chevy when the dealer forgets to install the fuse (I forget which one it is)) will charge the trailer batteries wnen the TV's engine is running.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Why not rent a generator for this trip and see what you think of the whole deal? Then you're covered if you do have issues.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

I plan to attend a ralley with no electric hook up. I have no generator. I do have two group 24 batteries.

I plan to run what I need on propane, and plan on no furnace. But I may need to run a fantastic fan for ventilation - cooling.

Lights etc should be nominal.

Can this work for 3-4 days in moderate temps?
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
DHenry, Just lookin at the KIPOR on the internet they look prety good have a KGE3000Ti like you have says it will run everything and one AC is ths true? and the weight is good 60lbs. on anothe site there is a KGE3000Ti that is over 100lbs and over $1300 which says former model name KGE3500Ti what the deal do they not make the lighter 3000 anymore?

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Not sure they ever made a lighter Kipor 3000, Bob. Rich (Richfaa) bought his in April of 2006 as a 3500ti and I bought mine in July of 2006. It is a 3000ti. Only difference is that Kipor decided to change their labeling to more closely represent the actual wattage output. Mine weighs 123 lbs. It will cost you a around $1,300. Still a little cheaper than a Honda, which it is a clone of.

Yes you can run the main A/C with it, but I would switch the hot water heater and the fridge to gas. Should be able to run the micro. Just listen to the pitch of the Kipor. I only overloaded that machine once in all the time I have been running it and that was my fault - don't try to start up the gen with a load already on it. Doesn't like that if it's a heavy load.

Also, Kipor (and Honda) recommend that you switch the Smart button off and let the Kipor run at 3/4 speed regardless of the load if you are going to use the A/C. I find this to be a waste of gasoline as the Kipor runs the gen at lower rpms with the A/C running than the 3/4 speed. It handles the compressor starting up just fine - their main concern.

My Kipor has run 15+ hrs on the 3.5 gal tank (and still not empty) if the A/C is used minimally.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I sure get mixed up.. on the web www.mwpowerproducts.com have a
KGE3000Ti $990.00 Max 3000 Watt output,Noise 58-64dB then further down the list continuous run time @max rated 8@2600 Watt weight 57.3Lbs dry
KGE3000THi $1,090.00 has wheels and rated Max output 2600 Watt continuous run time @max rated 5@2600 Watt all else the same weight 60.3Lbs dry
KGE3500Ti* max 3000 watt continuous $1,099.00 continuous run time @max rated 8@2800 Watt 132Lbs Dry Has Eletric start and then says New Version KGE3000Ti $1,469.00 no specs so I gess the same.
What a mess to try to understand at least for me I never had a generator.

Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bob, I'd try a different website...

My 3000ti is 123# dry and with 3.5 gals of gas (full) it weighs an additional 24.5# for a total of 147.5 w/ full tank.

Wife and I can lift it in the back of the p\ickup, but I mostly just wrestle it in myself. Did I mention that I have a shoulder replacement and rotator cuff/deltoid muscle repair on Aug 28th???

Probably not the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least I get things done...
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
dsprik, Sounds like some good advice, there ads confused me. I also had a Total Shoulder Replacment on 19 June, the therapy is really kicking me in the ### but a must do. even at teh weight of 147Lbs I think we could manage it I will keep looking.
Thanks
Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
dsprik is right-on.
Kipor 3kw labeling was "fixed" when it changed from 3500 to 3000 (same unit). Its a very good unit, have one too, but if you plan to use the AC it will get noisy. If you don't use the AC, Water on electric, Microwave, nor fridge on AC...you will be an "admired" camper!
Used mine in Asseteague Island National Seashore Campground where tenting campers would walk by surprised to notice it was humming, wife was inside using 3 sewing machines and watching DirecTV!
I was sitting outside reading and laughing as they were trying to figure out how those sewing machines could be running, with the current soap channel as the dominate noise...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
[quote] Dhenry said...I agree with HamRad, but must add that you could leave your cord hooked to your Pick Up Truck and use up the batteries from your truck to run your lights. If you do this take along jumper cables as you may need them and a buddy to start the truck. A QUIET generator is your best bet to maintain power. Many of us also have converted our batteries to two 6V golf cart batteries. Remember that your refrigerator will not work unless you have sufficient 12V power.[quote]

Am I mistaken? I was sure you did not need any power to run your refrigerator or water heater on propane.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Grampachet,

Your refrigerator needs to have 12v to run the control board. The propane will do the cooling of the unit but needs the 12v control board to tell it how and when to work.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote