Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
air ride hitches many companies: what IS different

1. Subject line says it all "What's the "true" differecnce between the different mfgs.
2. other than cost of having an air ride "pin box" which works better?
3. does anyone have a air ride type hitch? does it perform as advertised?

I've been reading on this subject for sometime, this is what I know:
pin boxes are approx $1000.00 prices can vary 3 to 400 either way.

Air ride type hitches will go from 2000 to 2500 on avg, and still have a swing on prices of again 3 - 400 each way.

OK now I'm ready for all of the knowledgable users out there to educate me on this "newer" technology.
Thanks in advance for all the answers,
Chuck
ps. I know personal perfernce but I'm trying to understand the benefits of both types

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have the Trailer Saver Hitch and would NOT have anything else. Yes,I am prejustice. Do your reserch and make your own decision. Both the hitch and the pin box are a excellant unit so pick the that fits your needs best. Just get one or the other.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
I too have been following this topic and trying to become educated. I'll be ordering the TrailerSaver this week....they have extended the sale through the end of Jan. and are willing to extend the 30-day refund if needed. For me, the Monty came with the standard pin box but the TV has nothing. So, for me it makes sense to go with an air hitch vs an air pin box. I agree with hazmic, I must have an "air something" and a TrailerSaver air hitch it is.
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, am in research mode. What occurs to me is that the air hitch is a very heavy piece of equipment, more so than the standard hitch. Occasionally I want to remove the hitch and use the bed of my pickup. Normally, I must do this solo, so it needs to be light enough for me to do it. Therefore, I am strongly leaning toward the air pin.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Chuck,

By the way - Welcome to the Forum! I researched this heavily, and learned what I should have already known - "you get what you pay for".

The air hitch performance is based on the extend of travel and pivot points of the hitch. As these increase, so does the price (more bags to serve each dimension of travel). The air pin box can never match the performance of the air hitch due to limited dimension of travel and a single pivot point, however they do provide some benefit of an air suspension between the TV and trailer. Don't rule out the air suspension mod for the TV either, as I believe they perform quite well, especially on a TV near the maximum cargo capacity when towing.

My personal preference is the TrailerSaver based on design and efforts by the manufacturer to build a competative product. However, with my requirement for a slider, I'm pushed into the $3,800 price range. As a part timer who occassionally would like to remove the hitch and use the pickup for other things, this was a little unreasonable to me at this time.

We opted for the air pin box type as an alternative, expecting some benefit of the air suspension but not expecting the full performance of an air hitch system. After highly technical research using graphs and charts, I picked the Fifth Airborne based on my conclusions that the Fifth Airborne is not nearly as ugly on the front of my Monty as the competitor , but that's strictly a personal preference.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have the standard TrailerSaver hitch and wouldn't be without it. Now you might say that I'm a bit biased. Yes I am. I had researched hitches for over two years when I purchased the TrailerSaver in September of 2003. It is pricey when you compare it to a pin box attachment or a Drawtite/Reese (both good hitches for the money) but as BSMeaton said, "You get what you pay for." I've always been a big believer in that. As for differences in the different hitches, I can't tell you because I've no experience with them. I can say that my hitch removes all the bucking and jerking you experience with most hitches.

Orv

Guess I didn't need to put my name down twice!!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

I, too, am in research mode. What occurs to me is that the air hitch is a very heavy piece of equipment, more so than the standard hitch. Occasionally I want to remove the hitch and use the bed of my pickup. Normally, I must do this solo, so it needs to be light enough for me to do it. Therefore, I am strongly leaning toward the air pin.
Stiles,
My Trailer Saver hitch weighs 280 pounds; removing it solo is not an option. I have no previous experience with 5th wheel hitches but, I hated the jerking from my 17 foot travel trailer. Of course I now drive a much heavier and bigger truck but, I wanted the smoothest ride I could get.

I bought the Trailer Saver primarily on Orv's recommendation and the belief that "you get what you pay for". Hensley has always been know for expensive but quality products.

Every time I use the hitch I thank Orv for telling me about it! It is easy to hookup and we never experience any jerking of the truck. In my rear view mirror I can see the pin bouncing but we don't feel it.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a Husky, (Valley) roller, 2 air bag hitch. It is built like an Anvil.
I have to say that their ad campaign is a miserable failure. I couldn't Google, and find it after 15 minutes or so, had to go to my dealer for the catalog info.
I didn't know Beans about 5th wheel hitch hook ups, when I got mine, I went with the Husky after seeing the service manager's 'yard truck's' hitch, it was old & beat up, the truck had caved in side rails. He released the hitch and it rolled effortlessly. Sold me.
After 10,000 maybe miles over some of the roughest roads, I can recommend it. Don't know where you would buy one, outside of Naylors in K.C. Mo. but I love mine. I pumped it up with air and off we went.
I love to look in the rear view mirror when hitting a rough road, to see it just floating up and down, with ease.
Brings a crooked smile to my face.
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...11&pageNum=530
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I think Brad kind of summed it up. You can get a better ride for more money with the air hitch...you can get a substantially improved ride (not as good as the air hitch) for less money with the air pin box. We are not full timers and may/may not change rigs again, thus making it hard to justify the extra expense of an air hitch. However, we did want an improved ride, thus the air pin box.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
For those who advocate air hitches, do you have to deflate the air hitches each time before you unhook and inflate the hitch airbags after hooking up? If so, how much of a hassle is that? And do you have a special, built in air compressor to do that, or do you just use a regular air compressor?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

For those who advocate air hitches, do you have to deflate the air hitches each time before you unhook and inflate the hitch airbags after hooking up? If so, how much of a hassle is that? And do you have a special, built in air compressor to do that, or do you just use a regular air compressor?
The answers are NO,NO and YES. I keep my airbags inflated to a reasonable pressure (in my case, 50 psi) and never deflate them. I do not have a built in air compressor. I have one of the cheap, 12 volt, plug into the cigarette lighter types, and merely attach it to the air line input valve on the hitch and pump up to my desired pressure.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
OK Guys, Here's my analysis so far:
1. Costs are more than many are willing to pay for air hitches
2. Less cost "marginal" (my word) results "pin box" (on RV) = more buyers
3. Trailer saver better known name, recognition, lasting reputation
4. Some companies have "kits that will convert Reese / draw-tite to air hitch. (Air hitch technology)
5. Weight of hitch a concern for some (installing / removing)
6. Bags are made by Goodyear & Firestone both good companies Goodyear may have better ratings in thickness and reliability. (I’ve had NO problems with my own Firestone bags).
Both air hitches can still be used / driven without air in them you’ll be back to the same type of ride as before = to regular 5th wheel hitch.

What is still unknown is whether 2 bags (trailersaver) or 4 bags (air hitch technology) are superior?
Does it matter?
Costs between 2 companies are only separated by about $200.

I didn't check on Husky as refer by OZZ.

Brad in your specific case I understand $3800. It is almost double the cost. In my case it comes down to less fatigue on driver and passengers, comfort, better ride of contents (pets) possibly better care of RV & TV (not shaken to pieces) it makes sense to buy one. New TV 45,000 or more New RV 40,000 give or take probably more, so why worry about 2400 for a hitch.

Now which one?
I’m ordering the Trailersaver TS3 which is a 2 bag unit.
Hope this helps any one else researching this issue,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote