Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Day shade has a big rip in it

The day-night shades on our largest windows have been giving us a lot of trouble. The end caps keep falling off and the shades slide out on one side. This time it happened on the large back window and the white shade has a big ripe in it. Anyone have any suggestions as to......Should we replace it with same kind or change to another kind, like Roman or blinds??? Any one else have this happen?

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh, Helen, that is awful. Do you need the day shade? Could you just removed that part and get along with the night shade? Otherwise, I think you'd have to replace the entire unit for continuity.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Helen--
We understand your pain. We have to try to be constantly conscious of those end caps, and we still have them pop off occasionally if we let the shade get a little uneven when raising or lowering. I have read of people who add a small sheet metal screw through the metal piece and into the plastic cap to hold the end cap on. I haven't tried that yet, but the idea seems to me to have promise. It would probably be a challenge to get a drill into the back side of the rail, but it might could be done from the bottom and not be too obvious,or it might have to be done from the front.

On another note, by the way, we re-hinged our above-the-refrigerator cabinet door the day after we saw Bill's improvement to yours. That is really a worthwhile improvement.

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Some have also glued the end cap on. We haven't had any but the one over the table fall out and just twice so haven't done anything yet. The gluing sounds easier than screw.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Helen, I put a small screw in the cap and have not had a problem with the caps coming off since. We do like the shades but they are a pain to pull up and down.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks to all of you for the sympathy. We just spent the day in Tucson (about 50 miles) and went to the Montana dealer there. Baudry RV. I don't know how many of you have been there but it is so big you need a map and GPS once you get inside the gate. We parked the truck and after about 15 salesmen approached us we were directed to the service center. After our thee mile hike for the day we arrived and were told they would have to order the new shade and it would be 6 to 8 weeks. Do you get the picture?. We left and went across the road to drown our sorrows at Campimg World. After our fix we decided to call Yuma and order the blinds and hope they come in by the middle of Dec. when we plan to be there. Don't mean to knock a dealer when we have never been there before but this one is just too big for us Yokels from the small town of Minneapolis, MN.

Harman, we are so glad we could help. I know that is one of the best things Bill has ever done to help me. I had a hard time holding the door up and still putting things in it. He comes up with something new almost daily so I'll try to remember to pass them along to you. Hugs to Ruth. We are looking forward to seeing you again and catch up mon everything we wanted to but didn't have time.
Helen
Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, hate to rub it in, but I did to Vicki. We had a lovely visit and dinner with Harmon and Ruth on Tuesday. Wish you guys could have been there. We could have had another mini-rally and played some mean games of dominoes, complete with hitting and sour faces.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Lost a couple of end caps,got some new ones and glued them on. I have found on all of these shades is that you have to grasp the bottom in the middle and give a slight outward tug as you try to move them up and down. I have also found on the large units you have to get your hands about a foot or two apart to get proper control to mave them down and up in a fairly even run.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've had the most problem with the shade by the dining table. We just don't open it unless both of us are there to do it. It drives me crazy! We need to grab each end of the shade and bring it up level. I think we have an end cap missing so we'll have to buy one and glue it on. Putting a screw in through the end cap looks like a challenge.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We have the same problem and solution (don't put it up or down much) on the one by the table. The problem is it gets caught on the knob that screws out the window. They need to find a better way to open the window. The first time we used it, it came off the bottom rod and it took a lot of work to get it back in the groove. It has a small tear from this incident but it doesn't show so we haven't worried about it. We try to remember to pull the blind forward (towards you) a little when raising or lowering.
Happy trails.................
Old 11-04-2005, 05:45 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our shade is pretty mangled, too, but not noticeable, fortunately. We have problems with those knobs, too. Poor design, I think, on several windows and you've got the right technique, Sue.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Ihave also had trouble getting daynight shades up and down. I read on another forum that you could take the round handles off the windows. I believe this was a post from "Country Guy". He also recommended looking in the archives on how to operate them.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A single drop of airplane glue or other plastic glue solved the end cap problem for us. It does do bad things to the shades when those pop out. By using a single drop I figure I could still pry the cap off if for some reason I needed to get in there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, we took the round handles off the windows that had them. Slider windows we left alone. The round handles have a long screw, we took it out, took the handles off, laid them in the cupboard over each window. If needed, we can reach up there, slide the handle on and open the windows, you do not need to put that screw back in, just turn carefully, so you don't slip and strip out the handle. IF you do strip out handle, go to closest RV store and buy a new one or two, they are not that expensive. We like the ones that have a longer shaft, vs the shorter shaft.

You can pull the shade down a bit further without that round handle there.

We find we only open these windows about 4 to 6 times a year. Not worth the hassle of fussing around that handle every time I want the shades up or down, as the shades go up and down almost every day.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Our shade has been fixed. After trying the dealer in Tucson we called Yuma where we are heading in a few weeks. Thought they could have the shade there when we arrived but they called Keystone and were told we would have to bring it in before they would send a replacement. Well it would be nice to have it covered under warranty but not worth the hassle so when we saw a notice for shade repair at the SKP Co-op Park we are staying at Bill went to the sight and within 10 minutes the guy was here. Took down our shade and brought it home and back within an hour. Everything fixed including the big rip. He checked our other shades and said that every one of them were too tight then showed us how to loosen each side so they go up and down without all the strain on the cords. What a guy. Wanted $12.00 for the entire fix.
Course it was worth a lot more than that to us but now we move the shades up and down with ease. Just in case though, Bill did put a small screw in each one.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #16
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Helen, it is good to here that you are all fixed up and for only $12.00 what a deal. Could you explain to all of us the adjustment procedure? Thanks.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Helen
Please tell us how to adjust. I have one that is very hard to move.
Thanks.
Happy trails...........................
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Yep, we took the round handles off the windows that had them. Slider windows we left alone. The round handles have a long screw, we took it out, took the handles off, laid them in the cupboard over each window. If needed, we can reach up there, slide the handle on and open the windows, you do not need to put that screw back in, just turn carefully, so you don't slip and strip out the handle. IF you do strip out handle, go to closest RV store and buy a new one or two, they are not that expensive. We like the ones that have a longer shaft, vs the shorter shaft.

You can pull the shade down a bit further without that round handle there.

We find we only open these windows about 4 to 6 times a year. Not worth the hassle of fussing around that handle every time I want the shades up or down, as the shades go up and down almost every day.

Carol
I used to take the round handles off when we put film on the inside of the windows for the winter. A little scotch tape over the hole the screw is in and the screw won't get lost when you store the handle.

I'd also like to hear the adjustment procedure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
This adjustment has helped us a lot. Hope it does for all of you too.
On the very bottom about 4 inches down from the window and on each side there is a litle plastic bobbin that the string is attached to. In the center of the bobbin is a screw. Loosen these screws and releave the tension on the string by rotating the bobbin. Do not untie the string. Ours were are all put on to tight and it put a lot of friction on the string every time you lift them. Good luck.