Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
LP Excess flow device

I just refilled one propane tank on my fiver for the first time. When reading the owners manual, it mentioned an excess flow device that may be activated if you don't go through the reconnection procedure correctly.

My gas on my furnace now seems to turn on for about 5 seconds, then shuts off. The blower stays on, but the gas seems to recycle more often than I remember.

The instructions state that if this unit is tripped, insufficient flow will then occur and the unit will not operate.

My question is: does the furnace gas usually cycle on/off every 5-6 seconds? If I tripped this device, how do you reset it?

Any other ideas?

Thanks bob

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
First thing I would do is make sure the propane is on and then light the stove. If it stays lit you might have a problem with the furnace, otherwise look for a problem with the regulator at the tanks or the switching valve, I had to replace mine as it failed.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
bigbob7777,
The device is inside the tank as I understand it. And it is automatic. Nothing for you to reset. It is a safety device designed to shut of gas flow in case the valve on the tank is broken.

In regards to the furnace now running funny...... probably got air in the line. Try burning your stove top burners until you know they are burning properly. This will help get any air out of the line and the furnace should start working normally.

If not then either you're not getting propane to the furnace or the control board may have gone bad.

Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think what triggers that excess flow valve sometime is opening the valve too quickly. I'm not sure how to reset it but think I'd ask someone at a propane store, one of those stores that specialize in delivering propane and selling the various parts. It may be as simple as turning the tank upside down for a period of time (don't know, that's just an example).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This problem is more likely to occur if the tank on the far side from the regulator is opened too quickly, because the entire cross over pipe has to be filled to tank pressure. Try using the other tank if that is the case. You should be able to reset the excess flow valve by closing the tank valve and disconnecting it. Then re-connect and re-open very slowly.

The furnace takes more gas than the stove, so the stove may work, while the furnace won't.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
If nothing else has worked so far check to make sure the gas line didn't get pinched when you replaced the tank. Might check the other side too if this is the first time its been used. Furnace needs higher pressure than the stove and hot water heater and a kink can reduce the pressure enough to keep the furnace from firing up properly. I learned the hard way.
Good luck.
Hank
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
To answer your question, No your furnace is not supposed to cycle every 5-6 seconds. It is either not getting the fuel to burn or has a problem. Hope you are able to fix the problem without taking the Montana in for a service call. Let us know how it turns out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote