Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
WAXING

Has anyone tried Nu-Finish on your Monty?? Just curious how it handles the decals.

tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Let me add to this a bit. What product do you recommend that is fairly easy to apply??
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
I used it for 4 years on my trailer and it didn't bother the decals. Don't apply it to the brown apron around the bottom of your camper, use something like 303 protectant. I still use it on my pick-up and fiberglass topper, but traded trailers last December and I am going to try something different this time.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Tom-
I applied Nu-Finish wax to the front end cap only on my Monty. It is under a cover but the front end cap is exposed to 5-6 hours of sun in the afternoon, so I felt like it should have some extra protection plus I wanted to make it easier to remove the bugs. It is less than four months old so I did not think it necessary to wax the rest of the trailer at that time. So far it shows no ill effects of the wax and the there was not a problem applying it to the decals. When the weather cools off I will give it a complete waxing. Several positive posts here have been made by MOC members about using Nu-Finish wax, you might do a search to find other replies.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Tom,

Been using Nu-Finish for a while now and I will never use anything else. It's a super product.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I used spray on Turtle Wax and it was very easy to apply and buff off. Worked great! I agree DON'T wax the brown part of the rig on the bottom!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
NuFinish worked great for me and I especially like being able to apply it in the sun.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Gonna have to try NuFinish and compare it to Simonize. I have been using liquid simonize and find it easy to use. I do everything but the roof.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #9
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hey everyone,
I found a solution for removing the bugs from the front cap and it's simple and fairly reasonable in cost.
First I wax the front cap two to three times a year so it has good protection from the sun and resists some of the bug trouble. (Use a good wax)
I purchased Meguiars Quick Mist & Wipe Detailer from Walmart. When I finish a days drive and if it is allowed in the campgrounds, before I hook up the fresh water to the rig I spray off the cap to remove any grit or sand. After I dis-connect my truck from the rig I back it up far enough that I can stand on the tail gate and with a small ladder we carry so my wife can reach the high cabinets. Then I spray it with this Mequiars Detailer and wipe it off with a couple clean towels like the directions say. Low and behold these bugs come off really easy. It also helps protect for the next trip. I was like everyone else I had my doubts when my brother-in-law told me about this stuff, I was also afraid I would scratch the fibre glass, believe me it doesn't. Make sure you wet it down good with the detailer, I use one rag to remove the bugs and the other to dry and polish. I do it in small sections, maybe 3' x 3'. It really works great and does put on a nice shine.

I hope this helps,

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Bill: I use the same stuff (Meguiars) on our unit. I think the main thing is to ensure you have a good base coat of wax on the cap. It is also good for spot cleaning. I also usually use the Flying J's truck window cleaner stick at the pumps (the long handled one) to remove some of the bugs from the cap whenever I get fuel. There is also a hose there to clean off the soap and bugs.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:54 AM   #11
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Bill & Ann,

I love your rig, do you have any problem pulling that rig with your truck? I have the same year and model only charcoal grey in color. We are pulling a 2955 at this time and have plenty of truck left to pull bigger. Also with these new weight laws in some of the states, I think like California, Utah, Etc. are you over the legal weight? This I think is going to be a problem in the future, the laws are changing and they want the 5ers to pull on the scales like the 18 wheelers. I think the good old days are comming to a end like everything else.
They are really cracking down in some states as far as drivers license classifacations also, some states require a CDL license already.
I hope you don't mind all the questions. You sure have a beautiful rig everyone is envious of. Have you had any problems getting the bugs out of your unit? What problems should future buyers look for?

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote