Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Staking Electric Awning in a Breeze

We had our awning staked out and enjoying it, but today is bringing occasional gusts and it was flapping a bit. We brought it in, which is no major effort, but I do have a question.

Those knobs on the side awning poles that support the awning . . . should we tighten them up when the awning is extended/staked? Does that add stability to keep the flapping down or am I way off base here?

We miss our patio!!

Cheers,
Betty

Clarification: This is an electric awning. It is not the material flapping so much as the arms "bouncing" . . . So I'm wondering if we should tighten the knobs to keep that from happening. Or perhaps we were just correct in retracting it. Thanks.

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I assume your awning is a non-electric one. The knobs will tighten to some extent, but the awning material flapping is best remedied by the use of de-flappers on the arms. Some use one on each side, others swear by two. I used the single large de-flapper mid way down the fabric on our previous manual awning. Camping World and I think even Wal-Mart carries them.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
OK, I'll be the first to comment on Bingo's comment. His dumpster dive must have caused CRS to set in early. Bingo see the subject line of Betty's thread. It appears she has an electric awning.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I noticed that immediately after I posted Mike, I think someone posted that the dumpster diving is a primary function of getting older, therefore CRS???? Sorry about the inane comments, the knobs on the electric awnings are to allow for the awning to be tilted to the side to promote rain run-off. One thing I have done to lessen the flapping is when the tie down straps are attached, hit the awning retract slightly which will increase the tension on the awning fabric. It helps a little, but I believe the electric awnings are inherently flappy (is that a word??). Sorry about the misleading reply!!
Bingo
On edit, again I may be reading something wrong, but I am assuming that your statement about staking the awning means some sort of tie down straps which is what we use. I don't recall our arms bouncing much when they are staked down, but we do keep both knobs tight.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote