Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Reese 16,000 or Pullrite Super 5th 15.5

Well, I did my deal and pick up my 3400RL Friday. I'm like a little kid just before Christmas. Once we got to a mutually agreeable price, I managed to get a hitch and installation thrown in to seal the deal. The "default" hitch they're installing will be a Reese 16,000 (with the 4 way pivot - Thanks Steve!). My question is... Should I spend the extra money to have the PullRite 15.5 Super 5th hitch installed. I think it'll be about a $300 difference. The propaganda (sales brochures) makes the Super 5th look good, but I'm asking for some knowledgeable input.

I know everyone has a favorite, but I'd like to know if there really is an objective difference. In looking at other threads, I've seen a possible downside to the Super 5th regarding mounting bolts. However, my truck is a long bed, so we're not talking about the SuperGlide. All help is appreciated - for a day or two until I have to tell them which I want.

Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon,
I have the Superglide and can only say one thing that I have in common with the Super 5th your looking at. That is the fully automatic locking, latching mechanism. Since I am single and do alot of traveling solo, I have found it really easy to know when I have a solid connection between the hitch and kingpin. When the two are in proper place you can see the locking handle slide into place and you know you have a solid locked connection. I have been in friends trucks who have the Reese 16k and "in my opinion" I feel more of the "bump" or slop in his hitch. I have never owned a fifth wheel before my current one and the Superglide is the only fifth wheel hitch I have towed with. The dual articulation, dual tilt head is a must no matter which hitch you go with. Amazing how that really helps the ride between truck and trailer. The other thing with the Super 5th is it looks like you have a few different mounting options. I have the traditional base rails and L brackets in my truck, so only the hitch comes out not the rails. I am sure someone will be along soon that has the Reese hitch. Good luck and congrats on your purchase of the 3400RL. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the input. I guess there isn't as much to say about this as I thought. I'll let you know what I end up deciding.
Gordon
Old 07-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon,
Well you got my curiosity going on the difference between the two. I pick up a hand out on the super 5th and I will say I also do like the fact that it has the latch that goes 140degrees around the kingpin as does my superglide, totally enclosing the kingpin in the latch. I think in my opinion I would go with the Super5th over the Reese. I am probably pratial since I do have the Superglide but just my two cents worth. Good luck. Dave/
Old 07-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Gordon R;
When we bought our 3295 in June, the dealer installed a 20K Reese 4-way hitch. Really happy with the way our Montana pulls.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Well folks, because of the way I worked the deal, the default is the Reese 16K which pivots in both fore/aft and left/right directions. Turns out that the dealer doesn't stock the Super 5th. They can order it but there's some discussion about the price difference and how long it'll be to get here. As much as I like to think of myself as a mature adult, the Montana is coming home with me on Friday.

Dave - I think the Super 5th is a little better based on what I've been able to read - and on your experience. However, there isn't a groundswell of support one way or the other. Given the price difference of a minimum of $300, (and the desire to look at the Monty in my driveway) I'm going to stick with the Reese.

Gary - Thanks for the input.

At some point in the future, I'll try to remember to let you both know if I end up feeling strongly one way or the other. Thanks again.

Can't wait to change the last line of the signature on Friday night.

Gordon
Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon,
Again, congrats on your new rv. I hope everything goes smooth with your walk through on friday. I am sure the Reese will be a solid hitch for your towing needs. They have been around for many years and I see alot of them in the beds of trucks at the rv parks. Let us know how the coach looks in your driveway. Dave/
Old 07-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Gordon, I agree with Montana Sky, Reese has been around a long time and the Reese name is very respected in the industry, It may not be fancy and frilly, but it will get the job done with no problems, Good luck and Congrats on your new RV !
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:28 AM   #9
Montana_1615

M.O.C. #1615
May be too late but as an owner of the Reese 16K "Slider", I'm looking for a better, safer hitch. Got the hitch with my first 5th wheel; dealer only carried Reese, so options weren't available for another line. On 2nd trip out, my father in law was hospitalized & we had to head home. The sliding handle had extended out, then back in as was supposed to. Locked the safety pin down, etc., but as soon as I placed the truck in gear and moved, the 5er came down on the bed, doing a very embarassing rework on the truckbed. Apparently the kingpin had not locked in. Now, I always retract the front stab legs a few inches after hookup, set the trailer brake, and pull the truck forward a few inches to verify that the kingpin is locked around the hitch. Also, painted the kingpin lock "white" so that I can easily see that it IS closed. Also have found a very minimally expensive device (simple one, too) called a "bedsaver" (Bedsaver.com) which will catch the hitch if it were to come loose. Catches the trailer before it can drop onto the truck bed/sides. Have never had it occur since the first time but once is ENOUGH. My next hitch will not be the Reese. Also, my 2 bro-laws & I (all with the Reese) are noticing more "jolt" when acclerating/decelerating, coming from the hitch. Not terrible, but very noticeable. Also had a problem with the hitch when one of the "locking bars" broke while transferring from towing position to manuevering position. Local dealer replaced the torsion bar in 5 minutes but was afraid to tow the trailer home until the hitch was repaired. HMMMM?
Montana_1615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
GorCon,
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I hope all is well for you now that you have had time to get your hitch repaired. As you can tell from above, I am very glad I went with the Superglide. In my mind it was 100% worth the cost difference from the Reese. If you are for sure that you want another hitch, I would recommend that you look into the Superglide. Might be well worth the time.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Shucks. Gordon, I was going to suggest you get the pullrite, then if you don't like it I'd swap you my Reese for it. You wouldn't even have to pay me anything. Saving my pennies for that pullrite...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote