Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
New tires for the tow rig

Hey all,

It's about that time that I have to replace our TV tires. We have just purchased our 1st 5er and will start hauling it around soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of tire we should purchase? What ratings?

We have a 2006 Dodge 3500 Mega cab.

Thanks in advance.

MrLeavingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I would purchase Michelin or Bridgestone over the all others. The style of tire for you will be different. I see you are in Alaska and I would say you get a lot of snow. Do some homework on tire ratings and if you plan to go on to the rest of the 49 states then go with a tire store that has stores in them just in case of problems. I have Michelins on my 01 Dodge Dually and have 90,000 miles on them and the truck sits outside in MI., I never had any problems with the tires.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I love the Michelin's, I have done HVAC service work and put many miles on 5 or 6 trucks, it is hard to beat them. Buy a tire with the weight rating for your TV and your new Montana. You would never have second thoughts about your purchase.
Good luck and welcome to the Forum.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
MrLeavingAK
Established Member

M.O.C. #10603
Thanks for the suggestions. As far as finding a place that is also is the lower 48, that probably wont happen unless I go to Sears. No offense to Sears, but I will pass. Most tire shops here are locally owned.

Will start my homework and see what I come up with. Thanks!
MrLeavingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have your truck, just one year newer. It came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A in a load range E. These are the identical tires (even the same size) that came on my 2005 Ford. I got over 70,000 miles on those tires including probably 30,000 towing miles and they still had a few thousand miles left in them. This Dodge's tires are looking just as good.

I also like the Michelins but get pretty close to the same service from the BFG tires at considerably less cost. Performance is more important to me than the name on the tire. If both brands were the same price then I'd go with either one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I am on the second set of Michelin LTX M/S that I picked up at Costco. The first set I got 55k miles, but they still had some mileage left on them. I decided to change them out last year because of a long trip we were going on. They do ride very smooth. Good luck in your search.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote