Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Utah Trip

One of the problems that us unretired types run into is we have to cram our vacations into a short trip. We are headed out to Colorado and then Utah's National Parks. Looking for tips on camping and sites to see in Utah. We'll probably head over from Pueblo, Colorado to the Moab area. We'll have about four days over in that area. Figured we'd see Canyonlands and Arches.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
You're going to love Utah! We stayed at Portal RV Park in Moab and really enjoyed it. The Moab Diner is a pretty good place to eat. If you're into hiking, and you just have time for just one hike, make it to Delicate Arch ... fabulous! Enjoy!!!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron and Terrie, this is the end of the hike to Delicate Arch. I agree with Vicki, if you can do only one, this one is the one I'd take.

If you're interested in what else there is to see in the Moab area,
http://vickiandsteve.com
then select 2006 Postcards
then scroll down to the postcards from March 18 through April 21.

This is one of our very favorite areas. I hope you two enjoy it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Ron and Terri,
We have visited all the Utah National Parks. We really like the Island in the Sky part of Canyonland. Also Bryce had really nice hiking down into the hoodoos, Zion was very interesting because you were in the bottom of the Canyon looking up and the bus system worked very well. To stay in the southern area of Utah--the North Rim of the Grand Canyon should not be missed. You can check out our trips on our trip journal. Email me if you have any questions.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oh, oh, oh, Ron, I forgot to mention the Shafer Trail. It starts near the entrance to Canyonlands and ends up near Moab. Fabulous, stupendous road for your 4x4 truck. Not for the faint of heart, though. Here's a couple of pictures. Wow, was this a great ride! It's not really as bad as these pictures make it look. I'd do it again. I highly recommend starting from the top and going down and not the reverse!

This next picture looks worse than it really was.

In case you're wondering, it took us 3 hours to cover the 18 miles back to near Moab, starting from the top of Shafer Trail.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
If you are into hiking and you are at Bryce Canyon make sure to make a trip over to Calf Creek Falls just to the east. It is a 6 mile round trip, and is fairly level hiking. Pick up a brochure at the trail head for points of interest along the way. And bring your binoculars along for the Petroglyphs across the creek.

Calf Creek Falls
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
You didn't indicate when you are planning the trip but you can use this site to check road conditions in CO.

http://www.dot.state.co.us/

Wherever you decide to stay in Moab or surrounds, it would probably be best to make reservations. Moab gets pretty busy in the Summer

This is a Passport America CG in Moab however I have not stayed there so I cannot give any info about it.

http://www.okrvpark.com/

Four days is just about right for Canyonlands & Arches. This would also give you time to drive South on 191 to see Hole in The Rock, Wilson Arch and Newspaper rock (North of Monticello). There is a shortcut to Monticello from the road into Newspaper rock. If there are signs indicating it is closed, believe them (personal, stupid experience).

You will also have time to wander around Moab and as far as eats, Moab Diner and Pasta Jay's. Both excellent places to eat and I am sure there are others as well.

It you think about taking hwy 128 into Moab from I-70, be aware that it is quite twisty and there are overhangs on the hwy. With a trailer, I would recommend hwy 191 from I-70 to get to Moab.

If you get a chance, don't miss the Colorado National Monument. You will have to find a place to leave your trailer though before visiting the monument. You can take exit 19 (in CO) from I-70 and turn South. There is a State CG and also a commercial CG as well as a shopping area just after you leave the hwy.

Enjoy your trip!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for all of the great info. Great pictures. I don't think we can get to Bryce and do Canyonlands/Arches. So, I think we will probably just keep to the eastern side this time. We will be going the week following Memorial Day. We will probably go cross country from Pueblo, Colorado. Appreciate he heads up on the roads. We are well aware since Terrie is from Colorado. I know some of the years roads don't open up until July. We'll definitely have to look at the Shafer Trail, Steve. Another good reason to tow with a SRW 4x4.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Agree with all the above! Southern Utah is a great place to visit! We've been to Moab twice. It is made for outdoor fun! Stayed at the Good Sams campground. Walked to good places to eat and drink beer from the CG.
Other NP's in the state are some of our favorite places too!
You will enjoy it and want to return.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with camper4. Wow, what a great state to visit. We spent a month in Moab at Arches/Canyonlands and then a month at Bryce/Zion, and still want to go back again.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm so glad so many love Utah as do we. We are considering buying some property there so guess we will have a lot of company!!!
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Capitol Reef in southern Utah is beautiful, too, and fairly secluded. You really can't miss in Utah. Once you get off the interstate,it's just breathtakingly beautiful anywhere you look.

State Highway 12 near Boulder is a bit tricky. Steep grades, sharp turns, and narrow, with dropoffs on both sides. Not a problem, but you should be aware of it.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scattershot

Capitol Reef in southern Utah is beautiful, too, and fairly secluded. You really can't miss in Utah. Once you get off the interstate,it's just breathtakingly beautiful anywhere you look.

State Highway 12 near Boulder is a bit tricky. Steep grades, sharp turns, and narrow, with dropoffs on both sides. Not a problem, but you should be aware of it.
Rames14 may be a litte pressed for time if they try to do Capital reef too!

We are going to take route 12 West to Rt 89 at the end of the month and just wander down to Capital reef, Bryce and Zion along with side trips to hole in the rock where the Mormons crossed the river, Escalante, and maybe to the north rim of Grand Canyon.

We will probably spend the best part of a month doing this and will try to stay mainly in state parks.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Well, three weeks of vacation don't go far when you have elderly parents that live 1000 miles away. But, this year we will hit about 15 - 20 states with our trip to Utah and then this fall going to Maine. We have a little over three years and we will be heading for Alaska. We want to thank everyone for the suggestions.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
On our way back from California in September, we visited both Bryce Canyon, Arches, and Capitol Reef (We had been to Zion before.) I thought highway 12 was a highlight of the trip. It was pleasant towing and some of the most beautiful sights of our trip. Our route was from Bryce to Capitol Reef on that highway.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
A don't miss National Park is Great Basin in Nevada at the Utah border. Great hiking to see the bristlecone pine trees and tremendous views of the desert flats especially at sunset from the high overlooks at 10,000 feet. Also you can see the only glacier in Nevada!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

A don't miss National Park is Great Basin in Nevada at the Utah border. Great hiking to see the bristlecone pine trees and tremendous views of the desert flats especially at sunset from the high overlooks at 10,000 feet. Also you can see the only glacier in Nevada!

Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park, its a great hike.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich & Kathy, that picture sold me! I just now put Great Basin National Park on our list of must see places. Thanks.

As for Capitol Reef, we've only given it a brief visit, maybe 3 hours. We'd like to go back and explore it more. We were traveling from Arches NP to Bryce Canyon NP, dropped the house in the campground parking lot at Capitol Reef and then did that quick tour of the NP. No trailers are allowed beyond a certain point so dropping the house was required if we wanted to see the park.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for the assistance, everyone. We sent in our reservation form last night. We'll be spending four nights in Moab. We should be able to see quite a bit of Canyonlands and Arches in those days. Based on the descriptions and pictures, we're really looking forward to it.