Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fireplace pfffffftt.........

That was my first reaction to the idea of a fireplace in the RV. Words like ostentatious, wasteful, useless and worthless came to my mind. It will waste storage space. It is no more than just a pretty with no practical use. It is just a total waste of money. I would not have ordered it, but it was already in the unit we bought.

Well, I was wrong. Over and above the aesthetic value of setting a pleasant living space ambiance. We haven't missed the storage space. During these cool days in the 30s and 40s, it has provided substantial heat for our unit.

Yesterday, the temperature never broke 40, but the furnace never came on. That little fire place provided enough heat for us. Granted we run a little cool for some folks. Our winter thermostat is set on 67 during the day and cooler at night.

With the thermostat set at 61 at night, the furnace has a chance to come on to heat those water pipes and waste tanks over night.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I totally agree, it came in very handy while we were in Montana really can knock down the chill in the mornings. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, Our thoughts (and our procedures) exactly. The dog loves the fireplace also. There's just something about a good movie, a napping dog AND a fireplace. It is certainly much more than an aestetic accoutrement. We use; fireplace first, then electric heater, then furnace, of course we are not paying for electric either.... We use the 65 and sweater rule....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We use or Fireplace steadily through from fall through spring and for taking the chill off in the morning. We also use the ceiling fan to circulate the warm air which helps greatly. We usually try to camp once a month in the winter and every second weekend in the summer plus long weekends and holidays.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We also totally agree with you Stiles, in fact every unit we own from here on out will now have to have a fireplace. As Phil said "fireplace first, then electric heater, then furnace".
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fireplace is a nice feature and we did like the feature but we did choose the storage space and we woud have missed it. We do not lower our particular quality of life by living in the 3400. We keep the winter emperature at home at 70 Degrees day and night, we do not bundle up at home, we do not bundle up in the 3400 although when it got all the way down to 30 degrees here in Florida last week it got kind of drafty in here and we went through propane at warp speed.We do have a oil filled electric heater that we use when necessary and that little wheel on the electric meter spins at a rapid rate and our Surge guard records some impressive amps.We have a Gas fireplace at home down in the family room that will heat the entire lower portion of the house pretty much through October and we use it a lot.
The camper fire place was just one of those choices one has to make. In our case space or fireplace.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Stiles I agree with you. The only time we run the furnace is at night when it gets down to freezing and that is only to protect the water pipes in the belly.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We haven't used our Fireplace since we have been in Florida. Since we left Tennessee we have used 1 40 pounder, propane is cheaper than electric were we are. We set our temp at 68 degrees the same as the stick house. As Phil said it looks awesome at night and Montana likes it also.

We also don't use the electric anymore when we aren't paying for electric or any less. The electric heaters will suck up a lot of electricity. And are very wasteful, Delaine will used them when getting out of the shower. I will say we do have electric heaters plus the Fireplace but they are mainly used for backup. For some reason we always run out of Propane at night. We will always have a fireplace and have had them in 4 out of 5 5th wheels.

The storage isn't a factor for us we really have to much storage, several of our cabinets are empty and the basement is about half full. We learned from past experience that storage can be a problem, just to much STUFF being hauled around that we didn't use. But again its choice and so for we still have a choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

That was my first reaction to the idea if a fireplace in the RV. Words like ostentatious, wasteful, useless and worthless came to my mind. It will waste storage space. It is no more than just a pretty with no practical use. It is just a total waste of money.
My thoughts too, when we ordered our unit...and add ridiculously expensive. Maybe I'm the oddball, but I still think that way. The FP takes up lots of possible storage space. We have two Lasko tower heaters that each put out the same amount of heat as the FP and can be moved to different locations in the trailer if needed. If I had it to do over, there are some things I would order that I did not originally...the FP is not one of them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Our grandson favors the fireplace. When he's awake, the flames are more fascinating than John Wayne on the TV above. Getting him trained early for the fire hose

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We use our fireplace alot. We also use a heater off of the washer/dryer plug, and a little heater in the bedroom before we shower. Unless it is really cold we turn on the fireplace and the tower heater until the camper gets warm. Only use the little heater when we are in the bedroom.

We have only had to fill up one propane bottle since we bought the RV in May of 2006. We use a hot plate, Apollo and a crock pot when cooking, and use electric for the hot water heater. We aren't paying for electricity right now, but do try to conserve on water as well as the electric.

We have had some freezing nights and cold temperatures, but never long enough to have to keep the belly warm. The only time we have had to do that was when we were in Kerrville, New Years of 2007, and it got to 18 degrees.

Stay warm everyone. Our next RV will have the fireplace if they have one.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #12
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Would never get another RV without one especially since I've paid for the power and save on propane
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
My dw wanted it so we have it,I have come to like it when on the chilly mornings I sit in the recliner with a coffee and take the chill out of the air without running the jet engine furnace.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As in most things in the RV world, opinion seems to be divided into two camps. Those who like and want fireplaces and those who don't. Then there are a few of us that have switched sides. I can only speak for myself, but I switched because my experience out paced my rationalizations. Now I am at a point where I would order a fireplace on any future RV I might consider.

It is a bit amazing to me, but even though we are full timing, we don't use all the storage space we have and in truth, we could still off load some of what we carry around and not reduce our quality of life.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If all the usable space is not used in the camper, if every shelf is not filled, it is blazingly clear that the wife is NOT a serious crafter. If there is a craft Helen does it. She is as we speak up at the club house sewing a purse. We have now added Purse material to our collecting and must find a place to stow it. How about a cell pnone bag or wood crafing, we have wood, we have tools. string some shells, polish some rocks.She just finished a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. There is beside me a huge blue craft bag full of I have no idea what and a entire sewing machine... Extra space...what is that.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #16
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Ah yes Rich, I understand your situation. Maureen is a serious quilter and loves sewing so that is what you would find in our underbed storage. We also carry a special narrow table that sets up between the central vac and the fireplace, for the serger and sewing machine, but Maureen still loves to work by the fireplace on any given chilly evening. Guess you will just have to try limiting the number of crafts on the go at any given time.........OHHHHHH..... good luck with that my friend, keep safe!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote