Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Frenchy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21550
Drip drip in the wall!

Looking for some knowledge. I have a 2018 3790. Living in it full time since March 2018. This is what is recently happening. When we turn the hot water in the bathroom sink I can hear drops at the top of the walll?!? The wall divides the bathroom and bedroom. This recently happened and only when the weather is cold. Currently in CO and we have had below 32 degrees.

I know there is a vent pipe going to the roof... the only thing I can think is condensation around the vent pipe when we turn the hot water on?!?!?

Any thoughts??? Thank you.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Looking for some knowledge. I have a 2018 3790. Living in it full time since March 2018. This is what is recently happening. When we turn the hot water in the bathroom sink I can hear drops at the top of the walll?!? The wall divides the bathroom and bedroom. This recently happened and only when the weather is cold. Currently in CO and we have had below 32 degrees.

I know there is a vent pipe going to the roof... the only thing I can think is condensation around the vent pipe when we turn the hot water on?!?!?

Any thoughts??? Thank you.
That is quite strange as the water lines run from the belly up to the faucet. You can see them in the back of the under sink cabinet when you open the door. I have no idea what the "drip" would be at the top of the wall. I would however go up on the roof and verify that the vent cover is still intact and that the Dicor is sealed around it. The only thing else I would do is to ziptie the water lines away from the wall or put a towel or something between the wall and the lines as maybe, just maybe, it is transferring a vibration of the water running to the top of the wall.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Frenchy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
That is quite strange as the water lines run from the belly up to the faucet. You can see them in the back of the under sink cabinet when you open the door. I have no idea what the "drip" would be at the top of the wall. I would however go up on the roof and verify that the vent cover is still intact and that the Dicor is sealed around it. The only thing else I would do is to ziptie the water lines away from the wall or put a towel or something between the wall and the lines as maybe, just maybe, it is transferring a vibration of the water running to the top of the wall.
You are correct all lines are underneath that’s what makes it strange. And it’s onky with the hot water does not do it with the cold water nor does it do it in mid day when temps are slightly higher to 40-50 degrees...

There is no evidence of water that I can see..
I will check the roof and vent.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
It sounds like your vent pipe is getting warmed by the hot water and expanding. I have one in my house that does that. It rubs the top plate where it’s drilled through. Tick tick tick...

Mark
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
Frenchy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
It sounds like your vent pipe is getting warmed by the hot water and expanding. I have one in my house that does that. It rubs the top plate where it’s drilled through. Tick tick tick...

Mark
Did not thinking of that... I have not yet climb due to the weather here. But it’s warming up this weekend to high 40 so I’ll check. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post

Mark
We have a pipe that does the same thing in cold weather in the stick house.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We lived in a new home in Kansas in the 1970's that had all-electric raidant type heat in the sheetrock in the ceiling of each room. We moved into the house in March. It was cold. Started seeing a drip in the basement under a T in the drain that was the vent to the roof. A plumber helped me figure out that cold air was going down into the vent causing the pipe to act like an air conditioner coilecting condensation on the outside. He sold me a smaller pipe to fit into the existing vent pipe and a cap at the top that connected the smaller pipe inside the larger one so that air had to travel thru the inner pipe until it got to the basement. That way if any condensation formed on the inner pipe, it was still inside the outer pipe and dripped down into the drain. No drips after that. The builder had no clue how to fix it as he said there was no water inside that vent pipe.

If conditions are just right and you have your sewer open allowing air to travel down the pipe, and if the space in the wall where the pipe runs is being heated sufficiently, you could have this same symptom. If you could find an opening into the wall between those studs, or get into the underbelly at that point, you should find the water from the drips if that is what is happening. Air could also be comming down the vent and out a shower drain or a washer/dryer drain that doesn't have a trap or water in it's trap.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote