Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Question about 6 point Level up

Both my other fifth wheels I used blocks etc. to level the camper. Now with the Montana and the level up system, are the blocks necessary? Do you folks carry them just in case? I would like to get rid of them if they are not needed.

Thanks,

Jay

jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I have learned to ask for a mostly level lot . That said, I still carry some of the plastic "Legos" and with the levelup hope to never need them.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
All I carry is a box of the plastic pads that I have never had to use. If you were on lawn or soft wet ground I guess you should have 6 ea pieces of 2 X 12 board 12" long.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We camp a lot on grass and sand and very uneven lots. We use the plastic pads, but even when two wheels are hanging in the air we don't need the old lumber yard. You can dump it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I agree with Dick. I carry a bag of the plastic blocks, seldom use them
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I use 10 x 2 x 12 wood "pads" under all six points. Seems to make mine more stable and my favorite campground requires wood anyway...no plastic.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Thanks for the input, don't want to carry extra stuff that is not needed.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
We use a 2x10 about a foot long under each pad. We are usually on a gravel site so I feel it helps with establishing a better footprint for the pad.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I learned this information here on the MOC and then from practical application. We carry 6 wood blocks that are approximately 1.5"X11"X12" cut from scrap. They come in handy when on soft sandy ground or multi-sloping lots. Recently leveled the coach and one rear ram was fully extended but did not touch the ground. A simple fix was to just retract a bit and place block under then do Auto Level with all 6 legs then supporting the coach. You never know when the perfect view will be on a sloping lot. The wood blocks in our case are 2 layers of 3/4" plywood screwed and glued together, and painted brown just for looks. The blocks seem to lessen the static friction issues. Also, the shortest amount the rams are extended the more stable the coach becomes.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I don't use landing hardware. Twice when using them the trailer "moved" sideways on the pads. Not sure why, my DW walking through trailer most likely reason perhaps? Weighing in at 130 lbs, she is a big strain on the Montana chassis. I weigh 270, but move very smoothly like a cat! Alas no reason, perhaps its like the desert rocks that move along the Mohave?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Jay, hope this helps -
I use the manufactured plastic square blocks to keep the round steel leg baseplates off the ground in order to limit the rusting of the plates at most campsites. However, I can see where using a wooden 2 x 12 block of some length could be beneficial in some soils, especially where the soil is wet or where the site is low and prone to be moist. This is because I find the plastic blocks will sink into the ground and the cutouts in the block will fill up with dirt and need to be cleaned out after use. The 2 x 12 wood block in the same soil will sink somewhat also but won't need to clean out later on because of no cutouts. So, in the future, I will saw up (6) 2 x 12's of some length to have on hand for a site where the soil is prone to being moist. Whatever choice you make - enjoy your camping experience!
cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Regarding the level up system and not pertaining to the current leg setup blocks - is it proper for me to ask a related hydraulic leg question at this time or should I start another discussion? To be specific, Have any others out there when using the level up system, find that when activating (pushing the level up button) that the system functions and levels the unit, but not all the legs fully extend and touch the ground...And its not because the site isn't level - because it was. This has happened twice to me and at least once with my Sister-in-laws unit also. Am I okay having this discussion now or should I start a new topic? Is this okay with you Jay?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary2

Regarding the level up system and not pertaining to the current leg setup blocks - is it proper for me to ask a related hydraulic leg question at this time or should I start another discussion? To be specific, Have any others out there when using the level up system, find that when activating (pushing the level up button) that the system functions and levels the unit, but not all the legs fully extend and touch the ground...And its not because the site isn't level - because it was. This has happened twice to me and at least once with my Sister-in-laws unit also. Am I okay having this discussion now or should I start a new topic? Is this okay with you Jay?
Thanks
Gary, you might get more replies if you do post your own thread and can title it for your needs. I have not had a problem with a leg not touching the ground. You might check the fluid level. Always remember to check the hydraulic level with all the legs retracted. That means you'll have to be hooked up to your tow vehicle. Then the hydraulic fluid level is supposed to be one inch from the top of the reservoir. We had a couple times when the Level-Up legs made a loud thumping sound and moved. Turned out we had a slight leak in the system which Camping World was able to track down.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #14
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Thanks Greg for the comments. I wasn't sure about how to bring this item up and didn't want to step on any toes, but at the same time, thought it might be appropriate to bring my question up about the legs not coming fully out. I will wait and see if anyone else comments on this problem and if not, I will attempt to bring it up as a separate issue.
I appreciate your comments though.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary2

Thanks Greg for the comments. I wasn't sure about how to bring this item up and didn't want to step on any toes, but at the same time, thought it might be appropriate to bring my question up about the legs not coming fully out. I will wait and see if anyone else comments on this problem and if not, I will attempt to bring it up as a separate issue.
I appreciate your comments though.
Thanks.
My pleasure Gary.

I also forgot in my post regarding the blocks. We have been to some parks that require you to use blocks or pads so you don't damage their paved sites. Seems to me our Level-Up feet are broad enough not to damage a concrete slab, but again, have seen parks which actually require something be placed between feet and ground.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Greg,
I haven't been in a park that is that strict as yet. However, regarding the legs, I just believe it helps preserve (less rust) the plates attached to the legs. These Rv's go to heck fast enough without my help, so I try to so down the deterioration anyway I can.
Thanks again for the comments.