Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Awning hangers

We have a set of awning hangers that slide in the awning roller channel, and providing we remove the hooks, is it safe to roll the awning up with the soft rubber hangers still in the channel? They are Camco brand. Does anyone have any tips or lessons learned regarding these?

By the way, Steve and I are at the Guadalupe River RV Resort in Kerrville, Texas this week and it is BEAUTIFUL!!

(Mr. & Mrs. Tom Delay are our neighbors in the park this week!)

Brenda Perez

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have tried your idea of just removing the S hooks ... the added dimension of the roll caused by the T straps makes your pull strap end up buried in the roll. This makes it somewhat difficult getting the awning out the next time. They also made puckers in the vinyl that never really came back out. If it isn't one thing, it's something else .... Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I saw some new ones at our dealer that are velcro-straps that say on the pack that they can be rolled up in the awning. Haven't tried them yet, but will be getting some for our beach trip. Has to help on the pop-up storms I would think.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....MMP=1011488383

RV Awning Party Light Holders
Once you've installed the RV party light holders, there is no need to ever remove them from the awning. Just slide into RV awning roller bar channel, and leave it. It is one of the perfect recreational vehicle accessories.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Has to help on the pop-up storms I would think.
Which is why we were wondering why we could not leave the hangers in. There was a small storm today and I took the awning down as a prudent measure. Had to pull all 14 hangers and "S" hooks from the channel which is a time consumer in a storm.

We went to town for lunch and a 5th wheel in the park had it's awning over the top of the RV. He'll be mad when he gets back to his RV . Prudence always pays!!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
In addition, for years I have used the tie down straps from CW with the spring loaded ends. We have left the awning out with these straps at times that I wasn't really comfortable, but (knock on wood) have not had any negative incidents yet. I use the springs as a guage for what I feel comfortable with, when the roller tube starts moving an inch or so up and down because of the springs, I usually retract the awning. As you stated, erring on the side of safety can never go wrong though. FYI, here is the kind we use:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...ps/skunum=2359

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use cloth Awning Hooks that has a grommet for the S hook. I have had as many as 10 of those, without the hook, rolled up in my awning without a problem. I would see no reason that you couldn't use these, even 14 to 20 if you wanted.

Awning Hooks

As far as storms, I watch the weather reports very carefully. I totally trust the National Weather Service. Not so much for the weather forecast but for the wind speed and wind direction.
First of all be sure the awning rails are as tight as you can get them. I use the ratchet type straps with bungee cords around the tube and have my awning strapped down at both corners and also use 6 to 8 Velcro De-Flappers.
I do not raise my awning for winds of less than 30 MPH and that really depends on wind direction.
Secondly, know which way your rig is situated. Is the nose pointing north, south, east or west.
For example, If you are pointed north and the wind will be coming from the southwest, west or northwest you won't have much of a problem as that wind will be to the street side of you rig and will barely effect your awning.
Even if the wind is from the east but you have another rig or building within a short distance aside of you that rig or building will act as a wind break protecting you from the brunt of the wind. Even hedges or bushes will serve as wind breaks.
In Florida, I have had our rig sitting in 30 MPH winds with 40 MPH gusts with the awning down and never a problem. Of course we were pointed north and the winds were from the west and northwest. From October thru May I only put my awning up twice and one of those was when we traded our rig in
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just use those little metal clips that came with my lights. They just clip on to the woven piece on the edge of the awning front. Nothing attached to the roller.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:04 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
For those of you that leave the straps in the awning tube ... how do you get around burying the pull strap in the awning fabric when it's rolled up? In other words, what do you hook onto the next time you want to unroll the awning? If I can solve this situation, I'm with the rest of you on the hassle of sliding them in and out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Glenn has convinced me, I am now going to purchase the cloth awning hangers (didn't even realize that they were made)instead of the Velcro deals. We have the heavy globe patio lights and I am a little concerned about Velcro holding them (apologies to all neighbors for the bright lights from the arrogant Montana owners!!!!!). Ditto on the multiple de-flappers.
Bingo

Old 05-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Just happened to pass a Camping World yesterday and we stopped in and got the cloth hangers (plus another $200.00 worth of other goodies ) and they will work GREAT stowed in the roller without impacting the rolled diameter.