Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2024, 02:09 PM   #1
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Norcold N20DC RV Refrigerator

I had to replace the OEM installed Norcold 2118XTSS gas / electric absorption refrigerator in my 2019 Montana 3120RL. I was not a fan of the monstrous 2118-unit’s performance and power consumption. The lack of available online information made me hesitate to request the dimensional equivalent 12-volt DC compressor driven model, the Polar® Elite N20DC - Norcold.

In the end, I went ahead and the N20DC model was installed. So far, I feel it was a good decision. I plan to share as much meaningful information as I can on my experience.

In summary, the N20DC features more interior room than the 2118 with nearly the same external dimensions. The interior is deeper and like residential units, it does not have the large internal cooling fins of the gas / electric absorption units.

The N20DC has duo 12 Volt DC compressors. One compressor is dedicated to cooling the food storage compartment, and the other, to cool the freezer compartment. The temperature for each compartment is independently controlled. This is done using a simplified 1 -5 setting, rather than by setting a target temperature like on many residential units.

I have been running the new refrigerator for the past 4 weeks while traveling. So far, I’ve primarily left the temperature at the highest (coldest - 5) setting for both food and freezer compartments. It maintains consistent temperatures. The food compartment stays around between 36 – 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and the freezer around 0 to 3 degrees. Ambient temperature has varied, but highs have been in the 80’s and lows in the 70’s with a few outlier days.

Both the refrigerator and freezer temps vary around an average driven by the duty cycle. The temperature will increase a few degrees with frequent opening and closing around meal prep. Temperature may spike even more so when loading food from the supermarket. There is a “Night Mode”, to make the refrigerator quieter and reduce power consumption. I don’t know what it is doing, but the temperatures stay consistently cold over night while in night mode.

The N20DC 12 Volt Compressor driven refrigerator cools down much faster than the old 2118 absorption model. Surprisingly, the new refrigerator is not that much noisier than the old. The 2118 had several fans that ran constantly to move air around the refrigerator and freezer compartments. You could hear them running constantly and I found that annoying. The new N20DC refrigerator sounds more like a residential unit, humming when running. It makes an occasional gurgling sound. Perhaps, because I expected some noise, it does not bother me.

The new N20DC compressor model consumes around 70 watts, or 6 to 7 amps of 12 VDC, occasionally more, when cooling. One of the two compressors seem to be running most of the time. The old gas absorption 2118 model consumed a near constant 600 watts of power when running on campground electric. It was a real power hog. Even when running on gas, it would draw 1.5 to 2 amps 12 VDC to run the fans.

When traveling, the standard 7 pin RV connection to my truck provides enough power to run the N20DC refrigerator and prevent my single 100 AH AGM battery from running down. I have no solar. On my first day of driving with cold ambient temperatures (30’s – 40’s degree Fahrenheit), the battery stayed completely charged. The following day, temps were warmer, 50’s to 60 degrees with sunny blue sky. The battery never dropped below 95% and was 98% at the end of the 8-hour drive. A completely satisfactory result for me. The following day, with temperatures into the low 70’s shorter (5 hours) drive resulted in a fully charged battery when we arrived at our destination. I target starting the day with a fully charged battery, as I suspect the draw will be greater in warmer weather.

I have not experienced major frosting issues, as was the norm on the old 2118 model. Some frost does form on the back wall from time to time. Though I have been told there is no defrost mode, the frost has not built up in the 4 weeks I have been constantly running the refrigerator. Further, the frost that was there one day, is gone the next.

Thus far I have a couple of issues that are annoying, but manageable.
The first issue we encountered is once the freezer door is opened and closed, it cannot be reopened again for several minutes. It is a bottom drawer style slide-out door. It is held tight for several minutes before it can be opened again. According to a google search, this phenomenon is due to rapid cooling of the warmer, thinner, air that rushed the open door. The cooling causes the air to contract, become denser and create a slight vacuum, or “suction” within the sealed freezer compartment. It makes the door nearly impossible to reopen until the pressure equalizes over several minutes. This is a real pain when you want to get in and out of the freezer, like to get ice, use it, and then return it.

I have a work around. I place a small piece of cardboard between the door seal and the refrigerator frame as I am closing it. I can reopen the door again without issue. Alternately, leaving it “almost” closed works, buy lets cold air to escape through the slightly opened door done and the door closed tight.
The second problem we experience is related. After opening and closing the freezer door, an E4 alarm will sound for several minutes. The E4 means that the door is open for more than 2 minutes. It does not sound every time, but about 70% of the time. I have not figured out what the exact conditions are that cause it to sound. Ironically, it is related to the freezer door, which is closed tight and cannot be opened.

Overall, I like the new N20DCSS. It is BIG! It cools down fast. It holds consistent temperatures. The freezer is cold keeping everything, including ice-cream, frozen solid. It provides near residential performance and features while using relatively little power. I much prefer it to the old 2118XTSS that it replaced.

Unfortunately, it is not made in the USA like the old one was. Maybe that will change as production ramps up? (wishful thinking??).
I hope this post is helpful for those who have or are considering the new Nocold 12 Volt DC RV refrigerators. There is so little information about them available online.

I will post additional information as it comes up.

jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote