Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
HVSkeptic

M.O.C. #25755
Boondocking w/wood stove in cold weather?

Hi. Just doing the research right now into staying warm living full-time in a cold-weather climate (I do need to plan for freezing temps outside, but don't expect prolonged deep-freeze conditions).

Has anyone installed a wood stove in their Montana to use as a source of heat when boon-docking in cold weather climates?

I hear stories of chewing thru a tank of propane every couple of days running the furnace.

I'm not sure about the feasibility of running a 1500w ceramic heater using a solar power source (ie. not plugged into shore power). Also not sure how much power I'd chew thru if using the 12v heating pads on all 3 holding tanks.

Can I run just the furnace fan (but not the furnace) to keep air circulating throughout the entire trailer and underbelly assuming I have a different source of heat to the propane furnace?

If I can keep heated air circulating to all of the important places without using the furnace, why not use a wood stove? Like a KIMBERLY or KATYDID.

I'm having some trouble deciding what the best off-grid solution is going to be for keeping warm in colder climates. The assumption being that I won't necessarily want to head south where the weather's warmer.

Your thoughts, ideas, and experiences are most welcome.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
HVSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote