Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Good Housekeeping Seal Approval on TV

DW and I are in S. FL for the holidays spoiling grandkids. Stopped in Tampa on the way down and were finally able to spend some time in the 3400RL we have our sites set on. Will post elsewhere on our very good impressions.

I also wanted DW to spend some time in both the 2011 GMC and F350 DRW models while here.

I currently own a 2002 Duramax 2500HD and have been a fan of the Duramax/Allison combo for years.

However... having spent time and test driving both rigs I will be ordering a F350 DRW in the early spring. The interior of the GMC is best explained as being "sterile" when compared to the F350. Fit, finish, storage, navigation, guage layout, shoulder room, EVERYTING about the Ford was head and shoulders above the GMC. I was in awe of how bad the GMC compared to the Ford. DW went in convinced she wanted the GMC as we have always been a GMC family. I had done a bit of pre inspections of both rigs prior to taking her for the test drives. All I told her was the trucks would speak for themselves. They did.

I know it's "each to their own" and some will always stick with their choices, but I'm a convert. The tow spec, torque and HP wars aside, just from a "living in this cab" factor as we hit the road in about a year, there was simply no contest. Ford wins.

Cheers

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Good luck with your new Ford, I also like the new Ford, its construction, and interrior options. I had ford before I got my dodge and received excellent service for 13 years from it.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Looking forward to an update when you get your new Ford...pics are always a hit!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i agree all three makers are very good.the real test will be in the following years after .as far as fixin, mantaince, durability,.....good luck and there is nothing like having a new unit...
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
They make something other than a Ford??....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Although I own a Chevy and are happy with it, I would be interested in how your evalutaion comes out, especially engine related......Thanks.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have nothing against Ford (or Dodge for that matter), but before I buy a vehicle, I want to make sure it's been 'real life tested'. What I'm referring to is the new Ford diesel engine. I'm not saying it's a bad engine, just that it's too new and therefore unproven to me. I know in many threads I have stated my avoidance to extended warranties, but in this case, I would consider one. Good luck on your selection!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
Tom
Not to mention the new 6.7 is made in Mexico.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by priceml

Tom
Not to mention the new 6.7 is made in Mexico.
What Isnt made in Mexico, China, and Canada, and then assembled here. all those jobs that could be available for US.
It will be a excellent TV.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
The new 6.7 "Scorpian" diesel has been tested. Ford knew they couldn't let this be a flop. It has undergone extensive testing in real world situations by believe or not Halliburton. The new engine had been fitted into the 08 body and tested hard by the oil field for about 1 and half years prior to going in to production.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by junglejim

The new 6.7 "Scorpian" diesel has been tested. Ford knew they couldn't let this be a flop. It has undergone extensive testing in real world situations by believe or not Halliburton. The new engine had been fitted into the 08 body and tested hard by the oil field for about 1 and half years prior to going in to production.
That alone is cause for concern. After all a subsidiary of Halliburton tested the faulty cement in the failed Gulf oil rig.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by junglejim

Link? A little search shows that Halliburton is currently testing the 2011 Ford diesel. Also, they have some other folks documenting tests for Ford. Here is what I found. http://connect.sethwadleyford.com/ok...y-to-the-test/

I considered a Ford when we bought the Chevy, but I'm still concerned about how much can be done without pulling the cab.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
When I shopped for a new diesel truck, I considered the GM Duramax and the Ford. I was very impressed with the Ford cab interior, while the GM interior was acceptable. The company I worked for designed and built the development and emission test cells for Navistar, that previously supplied diesel engines for Ford. We designed and constructed testing facilities for almost every diesel engine manufacturer in the USA. I was very impressed with the durability of the Navistar product. My brother in-law was on the development team for the Duramax engine and we have had numerous discussions on the engine. After he retired, he worked for the Ford engine development group and was not as impressed. In summary, the Duramax was designed as a 250,000 mile engine, unwritten and an opinion only. Please believe when I say that developing an engine starts with text book design but truly is experience, coupled with many hours of durability testing. Plus, design engineers always want to make improvements and try to remove cost. This is why every engine design continuously changes a bit each year. Also must add government regulations in to the matrix. These objectives usually do not agree with each other. IMHO the new Ford designed/built engine is probably a great engine but only time will tell. I do not have intimate knowledge of the Ford engine. I do have intimate knowledge of the Duramax engine and that is why I purchased the GM Duramax product. Possibly my next truck will be a Ford, but I will need to feel more comfortable with their durability over a few years.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Steve
What do you or your brother in-law know about the compacted graphite iron Forg uses to make the block on their 6.7 with. I know it is a much harder stronger wear restant material than nickle cast iron, and its what Audi used to make their diesel sports car raceing engine.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
UpinAK, I don't think you will be disappointed with your new Ford. I absolutely love mine. The ride is incredible and all the power you need. I am 6'5" and have all the room I need inside. Ford definely got it right, again.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
I've come to the conclusion that if the new Ford diesel even farted sidways in the past two years every gearhead in America would know it. It is probably the most observed engine ever created, given the disaster with Navistar. Truth be hold I have more of a concern with the Ford tranny, which really does most of the hard work, than with the engine. Giving up my Allison will be difficult. So far there have been no horror stories that have made headlines. Works for me.

The Good Lord willing the DW and I are going to spend MANY hours sitting in this TV. Sterile is being nice about the GMC interior. The Ford has a built in converter for AC plugs, multiple 12V plugs, a console built to hold a full size laptop, MUCH more comfortable seats, shoulder room, spacious interior, guage layout that seems much more intuative AND a ride that is TRULY comfortable. There wasn't even a contest. Of course this is just MHO.

And there is one small other matter that I'm somewhat reluctant to voice, but it did weigh heavily on my decision. It is the fact that certain powers that be in this country literally gave a heafty piece of GM to the UAW while the bond holders (people who lent REAL MONEY to GM) took it in the shorts in bankruptcy court. Being a bondholder myself I was speechless both when it was done AND when the courts in this country upheld the decision. Again, just my not so humble opinion. So there's that.

If two years down the road I happen to post here my horror story of being stranded looking like a silver dollar in a nickle neighborhood because of my Ford I'm sure some good loyal GMC owner will remind me of my decision based on politics rather than waiting five years to see if they got it right.

Live is an adventure!

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
Doing a little research I found that GM wasen't the only one that took money.http://jalopnik.com/5704575/ford-bmw...vernment-money
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Ford, along with a host of other corporations accepted loans from the government in the form of commercial paper from the Feds to the tune of 45B, as the link points out. The commerical paper market literally froze to a standstill. It didn't exist for weeks. This "taking of money" is a simple loan, usually for a week to a month. The Fed acted as banker of last resort, it's function BTW.

For 200 years the pecking order in bankruptcy court started with the IRS at the top and worked its way down depending on available assets. Senior secured bondholders come right after the IRS, then unsecured bond holders then stockholders etc etc.

To give the UAW partial ownership of GM at the expense of the secured bondholders (states, pension funds, mom and pop) by giving them a haircut (less than 100 cents on the dollar) of the principal they loaned to GM IS UNPRECEDENTED in U.S. corporate bankruptcy court.

Getting into the reasons would be a politcal call and not appropriate for a forum about our tow vehicles to be sure. However.... all stated above is simple historical fact. How each of us chooses to respond, or not, to the events is our own affairs.

Surely don't wish to debate the issue, just state the facts and let those who may not be aware of what happened have a bit more information to help make decisions. What the forum is all about from what I have been reading.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
spyle791
Established Member

M.O.C. #10278
I think you'll like the Ford even more after a few road trips. I have an '09 F-450 4x4 (4x6?), Crew/Long Bed, tow package and the low rear for a 32K CGVW (8700 lb empty) as I thought I was going to get a heavy trailer. I ended up with the 3750FL that was only 12K empty. Except that the weight really smooths out the ride over the truck empty, I have to constantly remind myself that I'm pulling a trailer. If only I got more than 9 MPG pulling, it would be a GREAT truck.
spyle791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not brand loyal. We purchase what best serves our all over needs. We now have the 08 F-350 6.4L and pull this 3400 all over the country. The Ford has not given us a single problem. We do @ 10mpg pulling at the end of a average day and that is not bad
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote