Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Roof Coatings

Although my rubber roof on my 2008 3400 RL is looking , and doing pretty good. I am starting to see some white residue on my RV pad after it has rained.

I read a thread on another RV forum a brand called Heng's rubber Roof Coating getting some good reviews. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on rubber roof coatings, or this Heng's brand. Thanks

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I used the Dicor system (primer and coating) on my old Sea Breeze. When I got the Montana 2 1/2 years ago, I coated the roof with Heng's. Both made the roof look good. I think the Dicor stuck to the old roof better than Hengs. You get what you pay for.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I used the Dicor system (primer and coating) on my old Sea Breeze. When I got the Montana 2 1/2 years ago, I coated the roof with Heng's. Both made the roof look good. I think the Dicor stuck to the old roof better than Hengs. You get what you pay for.
Has the Heng's started to peel off, have heard that happens on some of these coatings .
Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Has the Heng's started to peel off, have heard that happens on some of these coatings .
Yes, it has started to peel off in one section. Now I'm concerned on how to handle the issue if I want to re-coat again. Seems to me that I would somehow have to remove the Hengs first.

I've also looked at this product:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EM9GAA8...db5d50469&th=1
Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Yes, it has started to peel off in one section. Now I'm concerned on how to handle the issue if I want to re-coat again. Seems to me that I would somehow have to remove the Hengs first.

I've also looked at this product:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EM9GAA8...db5d50469&th=1

Thats unfortunate , where is it peeling off. I see the product you referenced seems to be the same type as the Heng's. I have read one review on the Heng's where its been on for several years without issue.

I was thinking of just buying a quart of it, and just using it around the vents to see how it holds up .

Do you have any idea how to remove , and recoat ?. Wondering if its possible to gently scrape off the loose stuff ,and coat over the top .
Old 01-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Thats unfortunate , where is it peeling off. I see the product you referenced seems to be the same type as the Heng's. I have read one review on the Heng's where its been on for several years without issue.

I was thinking of just buying a quart of it, and just using it around the vents to see how it holds up .

Do you have any idea how to remove , and recoat ?. Wondering if its possible to gently scrape off the loose stuff ,and coat over the top .
It's peeling in one small area...about 2 inch diameter. Seems to be well adhered at edges, so hopefully it will not get bigger.

RV Rubber Roof from the link is applied in thick coats vs thin coats for Héngs or Dicor. Check MFG link:
https://liquidrubberusa.com/pages/applications
Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
It's peeling in one small area...about 2 inch diameter. Seems to be well adhered at edges, so hopefully it will not get bigger.

RV Rubber Roof from the link is applied in thick coats vs thin coats for Héngs or Dicor. Check MFG link:
https://liquidrubberusa.com/pages/applications

Two and half years, and just the one small area, could of been a number of things, something that was not cleaned off well enough ,and didn't stick ???
Does not sound like too bad of results.

I'm thinking I would cover that 2" spot, and keep and eye on it. Sure tempted, not sure what one has to lose using the Heng's. I have given thoughts if the time comes to just replace the roof. I think I will give it a shot, I can't help thinking it can be touched up as time goes on. As long as moisture does not get under where its peeling ,it would still work.

I have had this fifth wheel since new, and its held up well. It doesn't owe me much at this point. Graphics are getting a little rough, Keystone sent me the entire fifth wheel replacement graphics a couple years after I bought it. It started with just the front, they sent me replacements, then I sent pictures of one on the side, then they sent a complete set of graphics, including another set for the front, so I ended up with two sets for the front, and entire set for the rest. Have replaced them as they have gotten bad. Front Montana needs it again, mountain scene is still okay.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
My experience with Kool Seal roof coating is that it does in fact seal small cracks and helps to keep the RV cooler on hot sunny days.........NOTE: Not trying to start a major dispute, only expressing MY opinion for what it is worth.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
MrMeeks
Established Member

M.O.C. #18450
My 2008 needed a roof coating. Found a product called LIQUID RUBBER on internet. Goes on with one coat. Thick one. 1 gallon for every 42 square ft. Catalyst gives you about 2-3 hours to apply before it sets up. I put on last summer and so far very pleased. Lots of video support to help with application.
MrMeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeeks View Post
My 2008 needed a roof coating. Found a product called LIQUID RUBBER on internet. Goes on with one coat. Thick one. 1 gallon for every 42 square ft. Catalyst gives you about 2-3 hours to apply before it sets up. I put on last summer and so far very pleased. Lots of video support to help with application.
I'm looking at it this way, Its 11year old, its getting towards the end of its life span, I would think , what could the coating possibly harm. Worst case I will need to replace the roof in the next two to three years regardless. If I get another few years with a coating I feel like I am ahead of the game.

Not going to panic here, my roof is still not looking real bad . Its obvious its starting to show signs of deterioration, with the white residue rinsing off after it rains this past year. I have always kept an eye on it for cracked chalking etc .

That liquid rubber looks as good as any . Thanks
Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
I have seen Flex Armor coating demonstrated at RV shows. Very impressive. Guaranteed for life. And, they come to you. Google Flex Armor.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #12
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I read an article by Mark Polk at RVEducation101.com about roof maintenance. He says a rubber roof will last 20 years. My Montana is a 2005 and it sheds white stuff but as long as you take care of the seams there is no need to treat the whole roof. PM me if you want a copy of the article.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote