Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Removing Decals

I am finally tired of looking at the cracked & faded decals. I plan on removing them starting with the worst on the front cap. I guess I'll use a heat gun. Any tips from someone who has removed decals.
John

Old 12-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There's several posts here on doing that, and I heard from at least four people who had at the rally two years back. Process was uniformly painful and time consuming. We're going to do ours in another year or two, but after reading many reviews of it, I'll be using this: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
ckwizard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14704
It took me 3-days to remove the drivers side mountains this week using a heat gun and a plastic scraper.
The solid dark brown and blue colors will come off fairly easy but the lighter colors will come off in hundreds of pieces. Very time consuming.
I used Rapid Tack Remover to remove the adhesive and it did a great job.
I will tackle the passenger side mountains next week.
ckwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
Just started on mine today. Used a heat gun just becareful not to apply to much heat. Some of mine came off easy so not so easy. Im thinking of leaving the front cap white with no decals at all or just the MONTANA across the top not sure yet. Wife called montana about decals they were no help. Ive been in the auto paint and body bus all my life so i have access to sign shops but i imagine using a quality 3m vinyl it would still cost around 500. To do it back.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I removed the graphics on the rear with a heat gun, rolling the vinyl with a thick glove that firefighters use. It took only 15 minutes.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I removed the front and rear decals this last year. Used a heat gun and plastic scraper first. Some came off fairly easily. Many areas were very difficult coming off in tiny pieces. Bought a 3M eraser wheel. Much easier. And a benefit of the eraser wheel is that a lot of the adhesive material balls up with the decal and flakes off in little pieces making final removal of the adhesive easier. I used 3M adhesive remover. I would spread a stream of it across and above an area where a decal had been removed, let the liquid "sheet" down over the adhesive, catching it in a towel held below that area, and use the well soaked towel to wipe the adhesive away. If the towel is well saturated, the adhesive will just melt away.

Using an eraser wheel you need a good corded 3/8" drill. It does give it a good work out. I don't think a 1/4" drill would have the necessary power. And a rechargeable would probably not last long on a charge. I would "erase" a section of decal, then remove the that adhesive while the drill was cooling as it would get pretty warm.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I used wife's hair blow dryer. Seemed pretty easy to me. I just did the side stuff and not all of it. I don't remember anything coming in little pieces, but it has been several years.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Vinyl Off is a great product and does what they advertise.

The problem is Keystone use a vinyl that is very thin and advertised by the manufacturers (all of them for this thin vinyl) as being used for temporary signs etc and warranted for 1 year. It is so thin that even after using Vinyl Off it breaks up in small pieces and you can’t pull them off like their video shows.

You will need several plastic scrapers and a product called Vinyl Eraser or Strip Eraser depending on what brand you get.

I have been working part time on ours for a year and have one side finished except for the stripe above the awning and the bedroom slide awning, both caps finished and about ¾ of the other side.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Thanks for all of the suggestions, doesn't sound like a fun job. The front cap is first on the to do list. We leave the north east for 3 months in Fla. on Jan. 2. Don't know if I will start in the campground in Fla. or wait till spring in our driveway, where I can proceed at my own pace. I don't do well with a lot of "observers".
John
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Where in Florida will you be staying?

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote