Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Safe wind speed for awning?

Given that we have the awning tie-down straps, at what wind speed or other indication would you recommend should we retract the awning? Of course, if we see a twirly cloud...

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Well, you really shouldn't be driving with the awning down...

I may be over protective, but mine goes up when speeds hit 15-20 mph, even with tie downs.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I know I will be the acception to the rule but once I put it down I never put my awning up. We arrived back in Florida for the winter and a day later my awning was down. I use the ratchet tie downs with heavy 12" bungee cords in both corners. The bungees act like shock absorbers. I also have 3 deflappers on the front end and 2 on the rear.

Been doing this for the past 4 winters here in Florida and have never had the slightest problem. OK, I lie, ever once in awhile a flapper has pulled free. Put it back and everything was once again fine.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The best answer is to use your head and if it appears that it's going to be more windy than you'd like your awning to go through, retract it. I've seen awnings that are left out day and night throughout the season and everything is fine. I've also seen awnings that were put out and tied down and the people left to got the store. Shortly after they left, a freakish wind came up and ripped their awning to shreds, folding the bars back over the top of their rig, ripping the rubber roof.

We live on the safe side, only putting our awning out when we are home and never leave it out at night.

So, just do as you think you should do. No one way is the perfect way.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
From the two posts, those are the right answers. It depends on how much work has been done to lash them down and what kind of wind is approaching.

Glenn has posted great pictures on his rebar-stakes-tiedowns-deflappers-bungies-straps such that a strong wind will carry his Monty into the air before the awning fails. In fact, his awning will probably keep the rig from leaving the area.

But like Tom S., I put up my awning when the wind approaches 20 MPH even with my deflappers and some staking because I cannot get them as secure as what Glenn does.

Besides the wind, be careful of heavy downpours even if you have a slant to your awning. (That's another story.)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am a little bit between the extremes of Glenn and Orv. I use the Camping world tie downs with the spiral ground stakes which have about a five inch heavy spring between the stake and the straps. We also use the large heavy duty de-flappers, but only one on each side. Since DW camps at the beach each year for a couple of weeks at a time sans DOD (dear old Dad), she goes by a pretty simple rule. If the springs are moving an inch up and down, then it is time to retract the awning. Winds are pretty steady at the beach and we only have to retract one or two times usually in a three week period. If there is a severe T-storm warning, then we will usually retract just to be safe. I don't endorse or recommend this practice, I am just posting it to relate our experience. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. There is no worse situation to be in than lying in the bed at 1 a.m. wondering if you need to go out and retract the awning (been there, done that!!). One thing about it, if the awning is in, regardless of the wind, it is not going to be hurt!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I set the automatic retractors for either 12, 16, 18, 21, or 24 MPH.

Saying that, and 24 MPH being the high limit, I would assume that over 24 mph would give you trouble if you did not de-flap and stake them. I cannot use the de-flap or stake method with automatic awnings.

Edited: Well, unless I turn them completely off.

Re-edited: Corrected my speed settings. A & E recommends the wind sensors be set to 18 mph, according to the manual.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think the answer may be what would your insurance company cover if you leave it out in strong winds. I tie my down pretty good and use 3 deflappers also. I just wonder what the insurance company would say or what they would cover. Does anyone have any experience with replacing an awning through your insurance company? Don't mean to steal this thread but I think this has a lot to do with the OP's question.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I think the answer may be what would your insurance company cover if you leave it out in strong winds. I tie my down pretty good and use 3 deflappers also. I just wonder what the insurance company would say or what they would cover. Does anyone have any experience with replacing an awning through your insurance company? Don't mean to steal this thread but I think this has a lot to do with the OP's question.
Yes, we had an entire awning replaced on a 1982 Kountry Aire fifth wheel down near Tulsa, OK whenwe went away for a couple hours. Came home and the awning was ripped to shreds. We had just bought the insurance which cost us $700. We'd had the insurance for five days and had the new awning installed costing the insurance company $725. They didn't ask any questions.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
IMHO, a lot depends on what part of the country you are camping. In TX/OK/KS etc, where it is gusty, I am much more aware of wind speed due to the gusty conditions. I might retract the awning in the above areas sooner than else where due to those gusts.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My awning has withstood gusts of up to 45 MPH.

One thing I didn't point out is that the top rails must be as TIGHT as you can get them. The top rail is the rail we attach our deflappers to. Get on a ladder and pull the inside tube as tight as possible before tightening the thumb screw. Any play in that rail will create a lot on unwanted movement. I usually check for tightness every 2 weeks or so.

In answer to Phil's question, yes my insurance will cover such a loss as will most other insurance companies. I yours does not I would be looking for one that does.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I too was of the practice of once the awning is down, its down. I have an 8x18 ft deck on which I mounted the same clamps (the ones that comect your awning arm to the bottome of the trailer) to the deck, free stood the arms, and then tied the awning down to eye hooks screwed into the deck. I thought this was good and I would be alright. Well last Saturday a surprise gust of wind came through lasting no more than a minute and the ropes frayed and the front support bent. I also had 4 jumbo deflappers on the from side of the awning and all 4 was pulled off. Just goes to show you nothing is certain. No matter what you do, it may not be enough in the right conditions
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I don't think there is a correct answer. I think common sense is the best answer. As we know Mother Nature can be very strange. We have both a Electric awning and the manual type on the door side slide. We never leave them out when we go away. However we aren't the type that sit outside a lot. IMO the awnings aren't designed to with stand wind gust. So to be safe take them down when your not using them unless you have good insurance. The awnings that I have seen rip off by the wind seems to always do more damage to the RV also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote