Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Cost of the MOC

With all the talk lately about the cost of fuel and camping, I thought now would be a good time to bring up the cost of the MOC. I know we all enjoy the benefits, friendships, rallies, and knowledge the MOC provides. However, this site was created and is owned, maintained, and paid for by one person. To help offset the cost of the club the Paypal link was set up so all members can contribute to the future success and enjoyment of the club. While membership is free to the MOC, donations are greatly appreciated and needed to keep the club moving forward.

Also, know that members can contribute to the club through the purchase of MOC gear and clothing. A portion of your purchase is donated back to the club to help offset the cost of the website.

If you would like to make a donation, please use the Paypal link or contact any of the Administrators.

Thank you and happy camping!

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for bringing this back up again as a reminder. Obviously, we don't want anyone feeling obligated or offended, but this is a good topic for those like me who keeps saying "yeah, I need to do that when can". Actually, I'm sure $5/$10/$20 would be appreciated. Don't need to wait until you have $100 sitting around to help contribute.

Thanks, Dave!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

Thanks for the reminder I hope everyone will jump in and send a little something. I got on PayPal right away, even before posting this response.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't like PayPal. Last time I used it I got flooded with email and other junk. Now if you have an address I can send a check to, I'll gladly donate that way. Or PM me with an name and address.

Thanks
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another way of supporting the forum is buying the MOC merchandise. A suggestion, order some and send a little extra for forum support, that is the way I approached it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We normally contribute 50.00 about this time every year . We call it our MOC dues, it isn't of course and it is cheap at the price as we have benefited greatly from this forum. We also try to contribute a little bit of our time at rallies helping out where we can . We have never had a problem using Pay Pal but it would be a good idea to have a mailing address for those who choose not to use the Pay Pal system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Those of you that do not want to use paypal can send a check made out to me and I will forward the donation on to the MOC. MOC merchandise is another good way to donate and show your support when at a get together.
Doug Henry
PO Box 217
Forestville, CA 95436
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
If we purchase merchandise at a rally, is there a portion that gets to the MOC site administrators? Maybe we should do a contribution at each of these rallys.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Dave, thanx for the reminder! It's time for me to get back into our PayPal account and send MOC some dollars.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
bullroc3,

From what I understand ALL the profit from the sale of MOC merchandise that does not go back into product goes to the MOC Administrator for the running of the Forum.

I'm sure DHenry can tell you more about that since he is the main merchandise guy. By the way the MOC merchandise is very nice stuff. I just purchased one of the windbreakers and it is great!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
PayPal is great! and the MOC is a bargain from Free to whatever you can contribute. I think too we must thank DHenry cause they too work hard at getting all the nice stuff to it's members. I'll be buying our first MOC "stuff" heading to Gettysburg soon. Again Thanks MOC. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
HamRad is correct, all the profit after re-investing in merchandise does go to the MOC forum to help support it. We are still in the building stages of inventory. We now have three rallies going around the same time as each other and will be suppling merchandise to each of them (Tuscon, NE, and Lake Siskiyou). Thank you all for your support of the MOC.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The PayPal button has also been added to the Montana Owners Home Page
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Thanks for the reminder. Will be on Pay Pal just as soon as I click the submit button. Keep up the great work!!!
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent post, Dave. Thanks for the reminder. As for PayPal, I've used them numerous times without a problem but if someone is not comfortable doing so, it's nice to have an option. Thanks to Doug and Sharon for providing that option.

To add to HamRad's comments about the good quality of the merchandise, I have a hat and a sweatshirt. They're both excellent quality and I wear them with pride. The sweatshirt is quite heavy. Very warm.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I'm living on social security retirement checks, but I used the forum a lot and I like to contribute whenever I am involved in something. I'm posting this not to suggest anything for anyone but merely to state what I do and how I do it.
I put MOC on my monthly bill paying list and send $10 each month via paypal. I know it's not a lot compared to what I get from the forum, but it's my way of doing something in return and doing it monthly doesn't hurt so much. (by the way, I haven't received any junk or spam.)
Making it a monthly "bill" means I don't forget to "be thankful" for the MOC forum.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ok! I know that not everyone will contribute but just for the sake of argument let's say that everyone does contribute and they send $10 a month. There are 8000+ members. Let's see, that equates to $80,000 a month, or $960,000 a year.

Please, please, I am not complaining. I do know what the cost of a web site is, DNS registration, and Forum costs, but it is no where near $80,000 a month. Even a $1 a month would surpass any costs of a web site and forum by several thousand dollars.

So, I will contribute. Whether by paypal or by check but I do need to ask one question.

What is a fair amount that will support the endeavors of those providing this medium?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
TwinkleToes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5679
Although the MOC member numbers are now well into the 8000s, over the years probably close to 2-3,000 have been deleted. Purges are conducted every 12-18 months and members who have not logged on in a year or more are removed from the membership rolls and member numbers are not re-used.

And, of those members remaining, only about 150-200 members are truly "active." So, if you figure $10/yr per member brings it closer to $2,000/yr. But you know as well as I do that only a small number of members actually contribute. I have no idea what it costs to keep this forum going, I just know that a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment and information from the forum.

A "fair amount" to contribute is what you are comfortable with contributing.

TwinkleToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wayne..It is good question and I am sure others also wonder. I think twinkle Toes has a handle on it although I would have thought that more than 150/200 members are active. The owners of the forum, to my knowledge have never asked for or suggested that we contribute anything. I believe the suggestion was member generated. I personally would have no problem paying a yearly amount to support the forum however if the owners did ask a set amount that would open a legal and administrative can of worms. Helen and I are officers in a small local camping group in Ohio and when you become a "official" Dues paying organization there are many legalities to be met. I doubt that the owners would want to do that... I certainly would not. Each of us will do what we feel is right.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Twinkletoes and Rich,
I do understand both of your posts. Yes, I had already a set figure in mind. Since I personally have started web pages, to be taken over by the organization that I belonged to, I am very aware of members come and go and the purging of files, and some members are inactive but still a part of the membership.

I know who the hosting service is for this site and what their minimum charge is for 300Gb disk space and 3000GB bandwidth.

You are absolutely correct in that every one should give what they are comfortable with. Rich, I think $10 is a fair and generous amount. I may up that personally, but that will be my comfort zone. I get a lot out of this forum. The camaraderie, the learning, the giving, the humor, it is all beneficial to my sitting around in the evening watching the modulated milk bottle (oops! Flat screen now) and reading all the good information. I really do urge everyone to send in something that they are comfortable with. As technology changes, the owners of this site can maybe upgrade to the newer technology.

Thanks all.