Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
08 Models and individual slide controls

After visiting a few of the 08 RV shows being held in my area, I wonder why Keystone is dragging their feet on putting individual slide controls on each slideout? I'm not refering to the user unfriendly manual knobs we now have, but to an electrically switched individual slide operation. Higher end fivers have had them for several years, but I've noticed some Cedar Creek, Bighorn, and Cardinal units are equipped with them for the 08 model year. These are all comparably priced units to our Montanas. As most of you know, I updated my hydraulics to individual controlled slides a couple of years back, but it's not something just any RV owner would be comfortable with doing. "Keystone ... got your ears on?"

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dieselguy,

You received your experience somewhere and I would assume that there are others like you. If one were willing to pay for such services, where would one look to find a qualified technician/mechanic that could make the additions you mentioned in a previous thread? Can you proved a schematic and parts diagram for the willing want-to-be's?

Thanks,
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I looked at an 08 Big Sky last Saturday and one button on the inside and you could control them individually from the outside in the basement area.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Sure would love to have seperate switches on ours. Ours stalls out just about everytime we bring them in. We have already had the breaker replaced under warranty. Now it is a pull in wait, pull in wait, pull in wait process. Really IRKS me.

Colleen

PS Keystone are you listening????
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Jay D: Your observation on the Big Sky was the very issue I brought up ... what are you gaining buy having to go outside up front to close a valve just to have to go outside up front again to open the valve to gain contol of the slide again. IMHO it's pretty useless. Similarily priced SOB's have separate switches for each slide inside the unit ... you want the main slide out only ... you press the main slide button.
Waynem: I posted this some time ago ... it has all the info and photos on how I controlled my slides.
http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19109
&whichpage
=2&SearchTerms=,hydraulic
It's an archived post .. hope the link works.
On Edit: You still use the same factory switch that operates the slideout function ... my rocker switches simply block the flow of hydraulic fluid to whatever slide(s) you don't want to go out.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
If the information i am getting is true, the 10th Anniversary Limited Addition unit comes with remote controlled electrically switched slide operation along with the landing gear. The order sheets have the "Selector Valve" option XXXXX'ed in already as part of the Limited addition Package. As i am understanding it, there is a remote controller you use even inside the truck while backing in to hook up in case you have to adjust the pin height. So maybe Keystone has already made the change. Anyone heard this or seen it on one of the new Anniversary Limited Addition models??
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I haven't seen a 10th anniversary unit yet but I just ordered a new '08 3075rl. The info from my dealer does state that a remote is available to control the front jacks, rear jacks, slides, awning, and scare lights. You can control the jacks from the cab of the TV but you must first flip a switch on the side of the Monty. Don't know if the slides can be controlled individually.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 AM   #9
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I looked at a 3400 Limited edition Montana last weekend. I was told that the slide out could be operated by remote but did not see remote in action. I wasn't sure if they could be operated by remote one at a time or not. I was shown where at the slides could be manually selected.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't know if I'd have any use for a remote slide control. Granted you could stand outside to personally see clearance issues, but a few years back I didn't do a visual look around inside before I ran my slides out and crunched one of my kitchen drawers on my old 2850RK. Perhaps with a remote, you'ld be even less likely to do the visual inside first. Just a thought here ..........
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Keystone has already had individual slide controls. Our Cambridge had 4 buttons on the inside panel that controled what ever slide you wanted to bring in first. And it is great to be able to bring in what ever slide you want. Delaine and me are very concerned about buying another 5th wheel due to the fact it will be very hard to find a 5th wheel with all the standard options that our Cambridge had. It had very few options. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I would not use a remote slide control. It has a tendency to make one lazy and not check the inside. Case in point, my DW was brining in the slides one day and she was able to see the spice rack door over the counter open just before the desk slide was about to catch it. It would have caused extensive damage either to the wall or the slide unit. I would just as rather go inside and watch the slides going out - after checking outside for clearance.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Our 08' Big Sky has the "go outside" slide option also. I am outside setting up anyway and DW does not extend slides until I have wheel chocks, sewer hose, electric, water and cable attached. I can see how it would be an improvment. Leaving something in the way is a good example of one of experiences.

John and Val
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have the remote Waynem and it really helps. The whole idea of the remote is to let you watch where you need to watch. I stand inside when retracting, and outside when extending, or any combination thereof. I haven't hit a tree or electrical pedestal since I installed it .

It would be nice to have the switches, and I might eventually go with something like Dieselguy installed. We did get the hydraulic valve option, but I can't open the front cabinet when hooked up to the truck so they are of little value.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Sure would love to have seperate switches on ours. Ours stalls out just about everytime we bring them in. We have already had the breaker replaced under warranty. Now it is a pull in wait, pull in wait, pull in wait process. Really IRKS me.

Colleen

PS Keystone are you listening????
Colleen, if you haven't lubed the slide rails (teeth and gearpack) in awhile, that may be your problem. Harder to slide causes a larger draw which can eventually overcome the breaker and stall the slide.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I just have not been in a campground yet where I had to worry about trees or other objects. Someday I might, but for now I'm content. I would like what dieselguy has though.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 AM   #17
rnap50
Established Member

M.O.C. #4870
Just saw and new Th Anniversary Edition yesterday it had a remote control systems that works the front landing gear, electric rear gear, slide-outs and awning. The slide-out have control panel out side so you can turn a knob on which one you want to go out or not each slide has it own knob very user friendly to me.
rnap50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Here is what one of the competitors use to control quad hydraulic slides using electric switches - a manifold block and individual electro-hydraulic solenoids.

From Keystone's perspective it would mean additional cost (this model runs about $15K over the Montana 3400) and there are probably other added features that may sell better over this - I don't know.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Here is some info we just received from the dealer for our new 2008 3000RK arriving this month. It appears the slides can be controlled electrically without the hydraulics.

druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Looks great - glad they finally did it.

Druryg - You might readjust the picture size for those with the smaller resolution screens. Welcome to the Forum!