Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
W7PSK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6833
Tow Truck 2500HD Dodge Diesel - want 3400RL

First thanks for allowing me into your world and I hope if you dont mind a few stupid questions.

I have 99 Dodge 2500HD quadcab long bed Diesel. Wife and I really fell in love with the 3400rl. And I see a lot
of people towing it with 3/4s here. Now my question, and its not a troll, I just dont know. And over at RV net
you get a lot of NO WAY answers.

And I know I cant get a 1ton right now.

so

Fully loaded with gas wife dog and stuff I take for my TT I weigh 6400#. Gross weight is 8800 leaving me with about 2400
# plus or minus. With a 200# 5ver hitch that would leave 2200 with the 3400RL being 2000 + goodies added. So Im edgy with pin weight. Max tow weight is 12500 and the 2400rl is 11800 without goodies so adding to it will take it over 12500.

So How do you guys with the 3/4s do it.

Thanks for answering my very touchy question.

W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Welcome Rick...you've come to a great place for information and opinions! After asking questions and reading posts I finally went with a 1 ton to tow my 3400. I know many here tow a 3400 with a 3/4 ton, some within weight limits, others are over. You are wise to seek information and utilize it the way you need/want. Happy and safe travels!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Welcome Rick, glad you were able to get signed on. You might find that over here we are a lot like RV net in that you will find some of us dead set on nothing less than a Class 8 semi truck to pull the 3400. However we like to appreciate everyones opinion and agree to disagree about these types of things. Be it known that there are several of us pulling the 3400 with 3/4. I will say that mine is a beefed up 3/4 from GMC with the HD and Tow Package. I do pull a little lighter than some as I do not full time but all my towing experience has been nothing but positive. You will find some full timers pulling with 3/4 tons also. But if a new or different truck is not in the budget I think you will survive. And oh by the way, we will also have some heated discussions about single vs dulley - but hey that is why we sit around the campfire and talk about these things. If everybody thought the same way it would be boring.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Welcome to the crowd Rick. I tow an 07 3400RL with a 2001 Dodge 2500 LWB Cummins, auto trans and a 3:55 rear ratio. I did add the Firestone air springs and compressor and a guage package to keep check on the temps. Also have a programmer chip, rear stablizer, etc. The GCWR on my unit is 20,000 by Dodge specs. Have had zero problems towing, in fact the fuel economy and towing ease has been far above the much smaller TT we did have. We towed the TT about 50K miles, have only towed the 3400 about 5K so far, but we are going to be full time and do not expect any real handling problems, we haven't so far. Talking to a friend that has the same truck and pulls a 5er, he just turned 650K miles and no truck problems so far, he is on his 4th trailer.

We did go with a 5th Airborne pin box, it was a real nice add, makes for a pretty nice ride.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Welcome Rick. This probably doesn't directly answer your question but we tow a 2955 RL with a 2004 RAM 2500HD Diesel short bed and it does really well. Of course the weight of the 2955 is quite a bit less than the 3400 so I wouldn't be able to advise you on the 3400. Our TV has no add-ons like airbags etc. and I'm happy with its performance so far. I'm sure you'll get great advice from others on this great forum.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
W7PSK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6833
So far yea .. I have the 3:55 gears also ... soo, Im going to dig a bit deeper and see if I could do the Leaf Spring Kit and the Bags to get it up a bit ... My Discs are HUGE on the front brakes so Im wondering if the HD is a stepped down 1 ton ???

Im sooo confused. But thanks for answering me so far all.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Welcome to the MOC! We are sure glad to have you, and the only silly question is the one that is not asked!!!

Remember that adding airbags or springs will not increase your carrying capacity or any ratings on your truck. You might want to look at what your rear axle rating is. My 2004 3400RL is the original design and has a much lighter king pin weight than the new ones. My kingpin weight straight from the factory was right at 1,800 lbs or so. If I put everything in the coach I would ever need and want, along with all the stuff for being at the lake for 6 months, I would be 300 lbs over on my GVWR on the truck. Last fall I went to the rally in Goshen, took everything for lake out before I left. I stopped at 3 different CAT scales along the way, and I was within ALL specs of my truck. Being single and only packing for 1 is the reason I can do it, otherwise I would far exceed the weight ratings for my truck. I sure do love my 2500HD, but when the time comes to replace it, I will be stepping up to either the 3500 or a MDT. Hopefully by then, "I" will become "we", and the packing will be for "two". Heaven knows I will need all the extra carrying capacity I can get.... lol! If you can step up to a 1 ton truck at this point, you might want to seriously look into it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Welcome Rick,
No question is stupid. But the question that is not asked is what I call stupid. Yes, many of us pull rigs with 3/4 ton trucks. Keystone designed their rigs to be pulled with 3/4 and one ton trucks, primarily. I've been pulling our 36 ft Montana for over six years with my F-250 Power Stroke with no problems. I'm over weight limits, I know it. I was unable to give up many of my hand tools when we went full time in 2000 so I'm carrying them around. Wife couldn't decide what we needed in order to live full time in the rig so we have a lot of stuff we haven't used (or even seen) in the over six years of full timing. Eventually we hope to get pared down, but for now we live as we are.

Yes, you'll get all kinds of replies, but remember what works for one doesn't necessarily we all have to be clones/robots and do what everyone else does.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rick, you will probably be a bit over gvwr. I am, too. I handle that by adding air bags to beef up the suspension, which gives me the same axle, bearings, brakes, as the 1 ton F350 along with a beefed up suspension. The F350 has one more leaf in the rear springs. The air bags compensate for that. I am officially over the gvwr but am comfortable the truck actually has the same pinweight capacity as the F350 for the reasons I listed. Not everyone will agree with that. You have to make this decision yourself. With 76k miles on this F250 it has shown no signs of excess wear. The original tires went 70k miles, wheel bearings have never been repacked or replaced or even looked at. Brakes are still original and look to go a long ways yet.

Actually, the airbags DO increase carrying capacity. They do not change the official GVWR numbers, though. And you also have to consider the limits on the axle and tires. As you have seen, many of us are doing just fine.

Rick, you did not mention whether your '99 Dodge has the automatic or the manual transmission. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that year in the period where the Dodge automatics are a bit weak and tend to shell out and die? If so, you might want to keep a close eye on the transmission. I understand the newer transmission is considerably stronger. I could be wrong, so please check it out and don't take my word for it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
W7PSK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6833
Yea mine is the Automatic. Seems to be ok so far at 75K
Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
As you can see by the few posts so far, you are getting mixed advice...your job is to figure out which is correct and which is not. If I were you, I'd ignore anything said about anything increasing the cargo capacity of your truck or the posts that say you can add a gizmo or gadget and make your truck just like a one ton...can't happen. If it could happen you can bet Ford, Dodge and GM would do it tomorrow. Your GVWR is all that matters, you can't change it, neither can anything you put on your truck. You've already figured the numbers for your truck...that puts you ahead of about 99% of the folks that come on here and ask what you have asked. The pin weight on our 3400 runs about 2500, so by the time we add 200 for the hitch, passengers, tools, the Montana spare I carry in the bed of the truck, and misc 'stuff' I figure my cargo weight in the truck is around 3300. The sticker on the rear door, driver's side says my cargo capacity is 4257...so I'm in good shape.

As you can see, you'll get two sides to the story here...one ton guys saying you need a one ton with some (less than before!) 3/4 guys saying it's fine to tow over weight. Your call.

On edit: Re your tow weight...don't forget to subtract the weight of the trailer that is in the truck from the trailer weight you are towing...looks to me like you have counted that weight twice.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
pokypa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6164
Rick, if you are looking for a 3400RL, look no further. I'm selling my 2007 3400RL and my truck if interested. I have it posted on the forum under trailers for sale. To answers your question a 2500 will tow it but a 3500 will tow - tow - tow it safer.
roger.walters@verizon.net

Have a great day
Roger
pokypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #13
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Rick: Welcome to the forum. You'll see by my profile pic I'm running a 3/4 with our 3000RK. Prior to the 3000RK, we had a 2955RL. My original tv was a 2001 Dodge Cummins. With this truck we grossed 17300 lbs with the 2955RL. With the 3000RK, it is 18440, still under the 20000 that Dodge sets as the max. gcvw. The tv weighs 7090 lbs full of fuel and road ready. When you look at 'towing capacities', you must read their little subcase qualifiers, "when properly equipped". Buying a truck off the lot or used, you can't always be sure it is "properly equipped". I know this one is, we ordered it built. With it, I'd not hesitate to hook on to anything with the Montana name on it and go. Jeanne, the woman I live with, is making noises like she'd like to look at a Kountry Aire by New-Mar. For that I'd get a 1 ton Dodge, SRW LB with 4.10, 6.7 and 6 speed auto. Enjoy your Monty with whatever you tow it with.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #14
W7PSK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6833
Somthing Wierd just to add to my confusion.

In my owners manual is the following for the Quad Cab 2WD

GVWR Trans Ration GCWR Max Trailer Weight

2500 8800 Man ALL 20000 14000
AUTO 4.10 18000 12000

3500 10500 MAN ALL 20000 13,300
Auto 4.10 18000 11,400

So Even If I had the 1 ton in 1999 Id still be limited. BTW I dont have the 4:10 I think I have the 3:55s

Oh and to muddy the waters, the door post says the GAWR on the rear is 6430, when I weighed it fully loaded I had 3510.
which means I should have 2900 pounds, but with the truck fully loaded being 6400 that leaves 2400 from the GVWR.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA now Im really confused

PS: Cant seem to line the numbers up as the forum only allows 1 space tween words

Old 02-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Rick: There are those that will tell you you can't go over the tag on the door that says "gvwr 9000". The total of my two axle weights is something like 10750 lbs. When I exceed THAT weight, I'll worry. It's not like loading an airplane and you have to look at wing loading. If your right wing drags on the take-off roll, you go back and kick the fat lady off.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

It's not like loading an airplane and you have to look at wing loading. If your right wing drags on the take-off roll, you go back and kick the fat lady off.
Bob you are something else. This is the best explaination I have heard in a long time.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Rick...I don't quite follow all your numbers, but the individual gross axle weights for front and rear always total more than the GVWR. It gives us flexibility in loading...you can load either axle to it's capacity, but, when combined, the weights should not exceed GVWR.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #18
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

Rick: There are those that will tell you you can't go over the tag on the door that says "gvwr 9000". The total of my two axle weights is something like 10750 lbs. When I exceed THAT weight, I'll worry. It's not like loading an airplane and you have to look at wing loading. If your right wing drags on the take-off roll, you go back and kick the fat lady off.
It's alot easier in a helicopter. If it won't hover, just keep kicking off passengers/cargo until it will...or sit there and burn off enough fuel to lighten the load so it'll fly.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:54 AM   #19
W7PSK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6833
Vell Good News and Not so good news

Talked with the gent who sold me the truck, he is a 30 year dodge veteran salesmen in the Fleet truck side (and he attends my church and we sing together in a gospel quartet). I told him my saga and he told me he picked this truck out for me knowing my affordability vs wanting to tow a 5ver. Its set up for 5vr already and he had special towing package installed in it originally and he guarantees I have a 3800# payload in the back of the truck (I looked and sure nuf I have the 1ton overload springs under there) and the heavy duty 1 ton brakes and the Transmission Radiator cooling package. It was a special order apparently. I told him all the weights on the Montana 3400 and he said He would stake his reputation on it and swear before GOD that it will handle it and I wont have braking problems nor towing.

So I trust him and his word so I dont have to worry about a new truck.

The not so good, wiffy says finances aint ready yet. BUT, thats ok as we need to make sure its what we want before we get it .

But Im gonna still glean info from you guys and I still say its our next rig. Just dont know when yet . (Although our trip in July/Aug to Missouri it sure would be nice)
Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #20
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
You have the same truck I have, except I have the RE47 trans, you have the RE46. Also have the 3:55 rear end. With the Automatic, overload springs, etc., etc., the GCWR is 20,000. The 3400 fits within weight specs. I did add AirBags, not required but wanted the ablity to raise the rear to preloaded height.

Enjoy, it will work.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote