Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Ohio, Pa.& N.Y. US 20

We are thinking about going to Niagra Falls and was wondering if anybody has traveled on US 20 thru Ohio, Pa. & N.Y. Are the roads good, any road construction, low bridges ect. Thanks in advance.

aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We normally go via 20 thru NY and PA but not Ohio. There are too many small towns and you are moving slower than you can in the other states. Ohio is about the only state that we travel I-80/90 because of the small town traffic. Hope that helps some.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now you would think I would know the answer to that question as I just left Niagra Falls and am now in Erie PA but that was not the route I had taken.
I can tell you that as you pass thru the Cattarauqus Indian Reservation on Route 20, just past Irving, be sure to fuel up as diesel is a lot cheaper on the reservation. Also just east of the thruway at Hamburg at 5533 Camp Road there is a new Camping World store. And while you are at Niagra Falls visit Smokin Joe's on route 31 East of I-190 for another reservation fuel stop.

A couple more hints..
If you go into Canada use the Rainbow Bridge at the falls. Avoid the Peace bridge at Buffalo and the Lewiston Bridge unless you enjoy sitting in bumper to bumper traffic thru customs. The Rainbow bridge is busy but not nearly as bad as the other 2.

Went into Canada 3 times and the only ID required either way was a photo id such as a drivers license.

As if the American and Canadian sides of the falls isn't enough to see here is a suggestion..

If you have the time a recommended side trip would be to Lockport NY for the Lockport Locks And Erie Canal Cruises. The Lockport Caves and Underground Boat Ride is another interesting attraction. After the cave be sure to take a tour of the same locks that the canal cruise went through. There also is a 2 hour round trip train ride to Medina and the Medina Railroad Museum. The Museum is one huge collection of artifacts and memorabilia as well as a huge HO scale layout.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In Ohio Rt#20 is main st America,In fact Rt#20 is the main st of my hometown, N.Ridgeville, Ohio.Take I-90 across Ohio to the Falls..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I will assume you will be headed East. I also agree to take I 90 in Ohio in addition I would not Exit till you are East of Erie (Stop and go traffic)My recommendation would be to take the North East Pa Exit head North cross over 20 continue till you hit Rt 5 and head East.Rt 5 runs along the lake shore and is more senic than 20 and again less stop and go it is 55 mph.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Thanks to everybody for the info. We may be leaving in a week or so unless the fuel prices's go to $4.00 a gallon. I'll take everybodys advice on the driving instructions and be sure to fuel up on the indian reservations. Thanks again.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by aljolleyjr

Thanks to everybody for the info. We may be leaving in a week or so unless the fuel prices's go to $4.00 a gallon. I'll take everybodys advice on the driving instructions and be sure to fuel up on the indian reservations. Thanks again.
The reservations are always a good stop. Even if fuel goes to 4 bucks off the res, on the res. it will probably be 3.50
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote