Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
Aluminum wheel corrosion

I have a 2009 3455SA. I have never had it on the road in any salt. It's a rare occurrence in Richmond, VA. When I picked up my unit in June last year, I noticed that the underside had more surface rust than I was used to. Well, it was built in Feb 09, and then towed from the plant to my dealer. What are the chances that the roads were salty in Feb from Indiana to Virginia..

I created my "end of warranty" list. Decals peeling in front, external cable TV hookup not working properly. And I notice that three out of four wheels are showing that the salt has worked it's way between the protective plastic coating on the aluminum wheels and the metal itself.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, were you successful in having something done about it? It's at the dealer now. Their first call to me was "it's just dirt". Sorry, grew up in Vermont. Spent a good portion of my youth fixing the aluminum wheels on my Mustangs with the same problem.

The nest time I buy a trailer, I'll do it at a time that will minimize the chances of this happening again.

gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I too have corrosion on my aluminum wheels. It should not make any difference if it has been in salt. I have had aluminum wheels on cars and trucks and never had corrosion. Has anyone had experience with Keystone or the wheel manufacturer doing anything about the bad China wheels? This should not happen at all let alone after only two years!
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have had aluminum wheels on cars, trucks and trailers and have had corrosion on all. Salt on the roads during the winter doesn't help. Even with no salt if you get a nick in the clearcoat water seems to start working its way under the clear coat, that's why I was happy our Silverado has a polished stainless cover on a steel wheel, holds up great, if you get a nick it's just a nick, doesn't turn into a big blemish. As for Greg's problem, they shouldn't look bad that soon
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I too have corrosion on 2 wheels. My unit was built in May & went to dealer direct. I never drove in salt, leaving WI in Oct & returning in May.
But, we park almost on the Gulf...lot's of salt air.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
I bought a left over `09 3400 and had the corrosion you mention. Dealer checked with Keystone and they replaced the entire wheel assemblies x4. Problem was the dealer reinstalled the wheels and must not had torqued them properly as I lost a wheel about 30 miles down the road! You can quess the amount of body damage done. If you get new rims/wheels insist and watch the dealer install the wheel exactly the way Keystone says to in the wheel video and check the torque as they recommend. Also check your tires if they are Goodyear Marathon`s made in China replace them. I just spent 4 days with rust converter/primer/paint on all the exposed areas on the frame I could get to. You would think if a dealer cared that they had to sell their unit once they recieved it, they would power wash the underside if it came in over the winter. I know I would.
ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote