Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Passport America vs Camp Club USA

I tried a search for a past thread, with no success, so any thoughts and opinions on which, Camp Club or Passport America?

Camp Club has an offer for $10 off the dues at this time.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Our son lives in Gold Canyon Az and we usually go down there for a week or so around Thanksgiving every year and stay at Canyon Vista RV Resort which accepts Passport America. It is a big savings for us and we have also used it at other places. But beware, they do have some dumps on there list and you just have to do your research.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Passport America is normally 50% off for a week or so. If you stay a week you have paid for your years membership. I don't know anything about Camp Club.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bob, having no experience with Camp Club, I can only say anything about PA. Pa has been very useful for us in our travels giving us 50% off at least one night at their cg's. One week at Pigeon Forge has saved us $10 with a real savings of $66 after the initial investment of $44 a years membership.
Also, if you sign up new people you get a $10 voucher to use towards your next membership payment.
If you decide to go PA, pm me and I'll give you my membership number so I can get that $10 certificate!
Also. I believe you can visit their web sites and compare them to each other too!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
We had PA for a year but decided not to renew because of the restrictions and limited number of CGs in our area that honor it. Still working F/T, most of our camping is on weekends. Look closely at both and what they have where and when you'll be using it, then make your decision.

Best of luck.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have no experience with Camp Club but have and like Passport. I guess it depends on your situation, check each one and see if their parks will fit you needs
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have used Camp Club and it is pretty much as advertised. You do have to watch for the limitations but all such plans have their limits. But it is decent for what it does. As an example we stay at a CG near Stockton, CA called Kit Fox. We stay there often as we travel to the Shasta gathering and our Oregon outings. We got a 50% discount and would have stayed there at regular price if we didn't have CC.

But that is about the only one we've ever used. Since we don't often find ourselves in a position to use there services we have since not renewed. But if we were to travel such that we made more use of their services we'd not hesitate to purchase that service again. Also we'd purchase PA if that met our needs.

Good luck. Check out the various plans and pick one you think will work for you and how you camp.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
sanford1945
Established Member

M.O.C. #9982
If you go alot it would pay to have both. But if you only want to get one Pasport is more common. We have both it dont take but a few stays and they are paid for. Good luck
sanford1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Bob,

We purchased a lifetime Passport America membership. They don't advertise it but if you ask they will give you the going rate for it. I think we paid around $350 a couple of years ago. We are still working and only traveling for vacations. We have used it a few times for week long stays in Florida as well as overnights while traveling. By tracking our savings we have recouped what we paid for the membership and now have a "lifetime" to save with no yearly dues.

If you are not sure maybe try it for a year and see if it helps you. I know that most of the Indiana parks on PPA have a lot of restrictions, most around here will not give you the discount on week ends and holidays.

Good Luck, and it was nice visiting with you guys again in Goshen.

Phil

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We have both clubs, but only because we had already purchased Passport America when we were offered Camp Club in a special package deal along with other things. It was basically almost free at Camping World when we renewed our President's Club. In looking through both, it appears that they have some of the same campgrounds. However, Passport America does have more. We probably won't renew Camp Club when it's time.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We have PA...one stay per year usually pays for the annual membership.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have PA and since we travel a lot we can usually find a PA C.G.. At 44.00 per year a couple of stays will pay for the dues.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I did not see much difference when I was looking so I went with Camp Club because I got a better deal at the time. If you full time or long time they are great . However for those still working they are not so great because both tend to limit weekends and Holidays.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are restrictions on PA but they are not set in concrete. I think it depends on how full the C.G may be. We have stayed at a PA for several days in a row on more than one occassion..Just ask..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Passport America cost me $44 for a one year membership. The first time we used it for a 4 night stay we saved $60. That is a good return for your money.

Yes, there are some restrictions, but you can see ahead of time what those restrictions are by using the book provided, or going to the web site, passportamerica.com.

One thing I found out talking to the owner of a CG that dropped PA was that they put aside a percentage of their sites for discount camping. When those sites are full they will state that they have no availability when you call and say you are PA. Many have pulled up to a CG expecting to get a site at PA rates and be told they do not have any. The travelers become irate because they can see empty sites. Those that are on the percentage basis will state in the book, or on-line, to call ahead for availability. I personally have never been turned away from a PA site when I have called ahead. And I never call with a "bad" attitude.

You can go on-line and look at the areas that you travel through frequently and you can see if there are PA sites along those routes that you can take advantage of. The South, South East, South Central seem to have an abundance of PA sites.

Good luck
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have both and have used both of them--as stated there are restrictions but they sometimes aren't when you call ahead--there are some of the same ones in both and they each have different ones. example --both list amana colonies in Iowa and when you go there is a 2-3 dollar(can'r remember for sure--I know Rondo knows but he is on his way to Down Under) "surcharge" for camp club and none for PA so therefore at that particular one PA is cheeper--we always call ahead the day we want to arrive and have never been told there are no sites available.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote