Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Driving Pac Coast Hwy 1 or 101

We are heading to Santa Barbara to drive the coast north past San Francisco and I am concerned about the drive on US 1. Is it going to be white knuckles all the way on US 1. Any suggestions about what to avoid in favor of 101?
Also, any recommendations as to places to stay would be greatly appreciated.
Nick and Marilyn

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Nick, The only really crooked part of Hiway 1 starts about 20 miles north of Hearst Castle. From about one mile south of Ragged Point,untill you get to Gorda, about eight miles to the north,it's pretty crooked. Watch for tour busses headed south.
One option would be to get reservations at San Simeon State park, and do a day drive up to Big Sur. After that backtrack a few miles and take hiway 46 over to 101 to Salinas, then back over to hiway 1. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Crossthread

Nick, The only really crooked part of Hiway 1 starts about 20 miles north of Hearst Castle. From about one mile south of Ragged Point,untill you get to Gorda, about eight miles to the north,it's pretty crooked. Watch for tour busses headed south.
One option would be to get reservations at San Simeon State park, and do a day drive up to Big Sur. After that backtrack a few miles and take hiway 46 over to 101 to Salinas, then back over to hiway 1. Bill
Bill,
I don't know that geography that well, but Hwy 1 just north of San Francisco should probably be avoided while driving a big rig?? If I remember correctly, it is one curvy road.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have not towed myself but have traveled that route a few times, but I see rigs on that part of Hwy 1 ALL the time (RVs and towables). It is slow going but you certainly deserve to drive it if you are so inclined - let the speedsters find their way around you. The OH-MY-GOSH whiteknuckling factor is less going north since the drop offs are on the west side of the highway but none of this is actual it's perception (because you are closer to the dropoffs (DW hates heights and just doesn't look out that direction when traveling south). But the scenery is just as beautiful in either direction. Gee I really don't remember all the viewpoints since I crossed traffic to park on the West side viewpoints since they had the best views.

Crossthread mentions some good places to RV but check to make sure they fit your rig and I highly recommend reservations if possible.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
It has been a few years but once we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge I remember 1/2 of the road was washed out. In other places we had as much as an 8" drop in the pavement. It got better as we went further North but that area was white knuckle all the way. It was so beautiful though that I think we would do it all over.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Like an idiot, I drove past the yellow advisory sign specifying the maximum recommended pin to rear axle distance. I was then towing a 37' Toy Hauler. I made it, but BIG MISTAKE. There are too many corners that are too sharp to be negotiated by a long rig without encroaching on the other lane. IMHO.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Having driven those roads many times, my humble opinion is don't do it towing. Park and do some day trips even if it means staying one night in a hotel. There are spots where you cannot get through with a long rig. There is also almost always construction going on due to falling rocks and the highway giving way.
JMHO

Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I have to agree with some others on here. I'd never take my 5th wheel on the California coast road past San Simeon. It's long, tedious and curvy. We won't drive it anymore even in our car. That also goes for the Big Sur area, the Half Moon Bay Area and basically any area north of San Francisco.

I'd actually leave the 5th wheel in Santa Barbara or Morro Bay if I was wanting to go see Hearst Castle.

Now if you want to talk about the Oregon coast, I'd be the first to tell you to drive it with the Montana.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Thanks for the info. So far it seems like I could drive some parts carefully and avoid others.

Any recommendations for RV parks?

thanks Nick
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We used the KOA in Petaluma north of SF for several years. Nice park.
Happy trails,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I agree with Crossthread. Take Hwy 46 from 101 and stay at San Simeon State Park. No hook-up, but a dump station. If you go into the back of the park and up the hill you can see the ocean from there. Take a day trip to Hearsts Castle. Also Sam Smieon S.P. is in the town of Cambria. Not large but some shops for D.W. to spend your money in.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I drive both 1 and 101 with a fair degree of frquency. If you are a confident careful driver it really is no big deal. Truckers do it all the time with no problems.

If you are hesitant about it by all means use another route.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have pull my trailer north may times, It is doable but lots of tight turns, between Morro bay and Monteray and again north of Bodaga bay to Cresent City.

The veiws are great and will get you in troble if you don't watch the road.
Have fun and plan on a slow time.

We are doing Hwy 1 from San Fransico to Washington State next week. Maybe we will seeyou along the way.

Good Luck
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote