Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
What is a must see in these states?

Well, the work trip didn't go as planned, so we are leaving Wisconsin and going to Mt. Rushmore. We will travel through Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma. For those that live, or have traveled those states, what is a must see?

I normally plan our trips out months in advance, but I have 12 hours to do this one.

Thanks for all your help tour guides

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ok, surely there is something to see in these states....?????

Colleen
Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Asphalt! Lots of it!

Be sure to get a picture of the faces on the mountain.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Not sure about Nebraska, but when we are in Kansas we look for the exit. In Oklahoma City, the National Memorial is a must. (Murrah Federal Building bombing). Actually we do spend some time in Ks but just for recreational camping. Wichita is the General Avation capitol of the USA. There are several museums and Mfg's there. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
What part of Oklahoma are you traveling through? I would suggest going down ol Route 66 and stopping at Pops in Arcadia. They have thousands of bottles of soda pop from all over the world.
Downtown Oklahoma City I suggest the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum(if short on time go through the museum first), The Oklahoma City Museum of Art and Bricktown.
Guthrie has lots of antique stores downtown and golf galore.
If your up by Tulsa make sure you see the big blue whale along route 66 and the Frankoma Pottery Factory. The Gilcrease museum is also top notch.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Kansas City has some interesting things to see. For some of them, you have to sneak over into Missouri. In Independence is the Truman Presidential Library and His home. Steamboat Arabia is interesting and the WWI Museum, named The Liberty Memorial is there.

We passed south of Omaha, so what we saw was farm land that was behind in the growing season and/or flooded crops. I suspect that points of interest are around Omaha.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
In Scotts Bluff, Nebraska is a place called Imigration Rock, or Settlers Rock, or Imigration Point, or something along those lines. It's a sandstone bluff where the pioneers stopped on their journey west, and carved their names in the rocks. From the bluff you can see lots of country, and even the wagon ruts left by the pioneers.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
In Minden, Nebraska, be sure to go to Harold Warp's Pioneer Village. It is a must see. There is a campground right there.

www.pioneervillage.org

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Good information guys..... keep them coming.

Colleen
Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Colleen, if your travels do take you through Tulsa, Ok, avoid the I-244 loop that goes north and west of the city. That is the absolute worst stretch of road I have ever driven on. At 25-30 mph it is very difficult to keep control of the truck/5er combo. Use the southern, I-44, route.

Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
Binky

M.O.C. #8306
Colleen, Abilene Kansas is the birthplace and burial place of Dwight Eisenhower - Wonderful museum and tour of boyhood home. Also Brookville Hotel - wonderful place to eat if you like fried chicken (the only thing they serve. Rose garden village near there as well.

Dori
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Big Brutus in Mineral, KS, Boot Hill and somewhere out in Western KS is a hideout of one of the famous outlaws. Been a long time since I was there and can't remember whose it is. Of course, you could visit my family!
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Front Street, Dodge City. Haven't been there for years, but it used to be a great historical old west town.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
You guys are so good

You guys are so good!!!! I just love local knowledge that isn't in the atlas and the travel books(Trailer Life and Woodall's). I just had my first paid for shower in my life. Cost me a quarter to take my shower this evening at Camp Faribo in Faribault, Minnesota. Learning expierence paying for showers. We have water/electric, but didn't want to have to dump tomorrow morning or haul the excess water in the grey tank. We are off to Mitchell SD tomorrow and then on to Rapid City to see Mt Rushmore. Any suggestions on campgrounds in that area would be great. Also, if you have been to Mt. Rushmore what did you do in that area? Now if any one needs information about cruising I am your go to person.

Colleen

Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Ooo, ooo, Colleen - must see in Mitchell, SD is the Corn Palace!

Also, try to be at Mt. Rushmore in the evening as they do a great show and light the faces.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The following website gives the highlights, as well as, the history and other pertinent information for each state

http://www.theus50.com/index.html
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
If you head to Southwest Oklahoma down I-44 I suggest stopping in Medicine Park. It is a small town of cobblestoen shops and homes which has been revived in the past few years. They just opened the old plantation a few weeks ago. The Plantation Hotel is where Bonnie and Clyde were hiding out back in the day. It is really a cool little town to visit for a day. Lake Lawtonka is just a couple miles up the road and has full hookups.
Before you leave the area head to the Meers Cafe and have a pie pan burger followed up with a piece of pie. The food is worth the drive!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote