Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
3-Wire Circuit Analyzer results ?

Well my 3-Wire Circuit Analyzer with the three lights tells me that my hot and neutral lines are reversed. my honda gen also shows that at gen panel. Is that right? I have a probe that lights hp when touched to hot lines and outlets indicate hot on line side and not hot on neutral side.

mikey

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This guideline by Jim Fischer may help you.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You talking about something like this?
Mine shows normal (two yellow lights) when I plug it in.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
yes exactly but mine has a red and yellow next to each other.

mikey
Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Unplug the rig from any source of power and pull the outlet apart to check the wiring. If it looks OK, you'll have to pull the cover off your circuit breaker panel to check the wires in there. If they both places look OK, it maybe the power source. If you are at a park, have the manager have someone check it out. Does the Honda show this when you aren't hooked up to external power? If so, the problems has to be inside the trailer or the power cord going to the trailer.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Ok I confess.
after reading the suggested info and thinking hard i....put on my glasses and noticed that only the center light was light and I was misreading the lights. the glow from the middle yelloy light made me see the red one seem to be lite....so what I have is no ground as i'm using a 30A conector and the converter also isn't grounded to my unit.
ther is no major problrm just the seemingly clasic question of grounding the power sourse
thanks everyone i feel beter
mikey
Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I just went thru a similar problem. I bought a new generator and it worked fine at home testing a light, etc. Hooked it to the Monty and my Surge Guard said Ground Open - no dice. After much research, I found that my Boliy Generator (and either Yamaha or Honda models) have what is know as floating ground.
The simple solution is to connect the neutral to the ground so the surge guard saw a 'ground'. But my gen. still read 168 volts instead of 120. Turns out Boliy actually has the neutral at 60 volts and the hot at 60 (I assume 180 degrees out of phase to get 120 total). Since normally the only thing that matters is the total voltage it works most of the time whichever way they wire the 2 sides. So they actually had 2 red wires inside instead of a white and black. So it is easy to see them wiring it backwards. And in my case it somehow effected the total voltage. Just reversing the wires fixed the problem.
Sorry to drag on about this...
Good luck

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote