Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Gulf Shores RV Park - Recommendations

I did a search for campgrounds and came up with the state park and Anchors Aweigh. Anyone give me a review of either? Looking at Google the state park looks like the sites along the lake are pretty large and the view would be great. Any issues to be aware?

We are looking to try and make a visit to Gulf Shores in the middle of April this year.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There are others, Anchors Aweigh nice park, about 7 miles or so from the beach?? that is a guestimate. Some nice large lots.

State Park, they have new pool, new laundry, new other stuff, those sites along the lake may be a bit tough to get into (??????????). Some reservations are made, numbers game, I don't fully understand.

It could be windier in the State Park, not sure they have wifi yet, if that is an issue for you. Great walking/hiking/biking paths! Closer to the beach.

There is a beautiful beach that is State Park owned, much quieter when we were there than the Gulf Shores city park. Each has something to say for it. The city beaches will be near all the stores and restaurants.

Anchors Aweigh will be closer to the Outlet stores and Fairhope. Fairhope is great.

We were in Gulf Shores for about 5 months last year, from mid November to April (2010). I blogged about some of our stuff, you can visit the blog, and read for yourselves, some photos too. Blog URL at end of my sig line.

Have fun!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
We spend Jan and Feb in Gulf Shores every year and we stay at Island Retreat. This park is on Fort Morgan road and is convienient to the beaches.....about a 3 mile bicycle ride. The Gulf State Park is probably one of the nicest state parks you will ever see. Spots are very spacious and level. If we hadn't developed a close network of winter friends at Island Retreat, we would surely move to the State Park for our winter stay. This doesnt mean Island Retreat is not good, it just means the State Park is outstanding. Anchors Aweigh is also a very nice park, but it is not very convienient to the amenities of the beach area.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
We stayed at Gulf Park last year and really liked it. Most sites were level and pretty roomy. Could not reserve a certain site number. They would only reserve a space. They assigned it when I got there. I plan to stop there April 15-18 on they way to Destin. Maybe we will see you there.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Unless frequent trips to the beach is your thing I recommend Anchors Aweigh in Foley. As others have said close to shopping and then of course there is Lamberts. That place added a few inches to my waist. We like the spacious sites and amenities at Anchors and when we wanted to go to the beach, short 7 plus miles and we were there.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bw2

I did a search for campgrounds and came up with the state park and Anchors Aweigh. Anyone give me a review of either? Looking at Google the state park looks like the sites along the lake are pretty large and the view would be great. Any issues to be aware?

We are looking to try and make a visit to Gulf Shores in the middle of April this year.
I can answer your questions about the State Park. In my eyes the State Park is the best park in Gulf Shores. We are here now and been here since Oct. Beautiful park, large lots, big rig friendly. the wifi does work only in the activity bldg. Its all wired but some sort of problem they claim they are working on but no change in the 5 months we been here. But air cards work great.

As of right now there is sites available, but they are sparse. More than likely you will be able to get in, but no guarantees. There is I believe 496 sites here and last month and the beginning of this month was booked. April 1st lots of people will be leaving. They actually call this Michabama State Park, it returns to Gulf State Park come April 1st.......lol

Oh and BTW, if you like to ride bikes there is 19 miles of trails here.

Its been a good time for us.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Gulf Breeze is really nice and located on Hwy 59 just north of ICW.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Another vote for Gulf Breeze. It is easily the nicest campground in the area. There is an indoor pool and hot tub if that interests you.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Thanks to everyone for the info. Due to a death in the family, we had to cancel our trip, but we will be going there sometime, hopefull soon.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote