Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ha,Ha..so Bob has the 08 V-10 and he is doing 9MPG towing his SOB...We are averaging 8.8MPG We use the fuel additive and booster..i shudder to see what the MPG would be without it???? There is positive stuff..will report later...I am so disappointed in this 6.4L diesel in terms of performance on this trip to Flordia. Bob..I would not go as far as to say it is a full equal to the new diesel..but in terms of cost vs benefits. I would have been ahead to keep the 05 V-10. My shinny new truck may be broke... It shudders when starting off from a dead stop. It stumbles and falls all over itself when it downshifts..this is towing the anchor..My tail pipe is black and the black has oil in it.. It is not throwing any error codes...any ideas????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #22
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Rich, you are hauling to many packages around and along with those chrome tubular steps, they are slowing you down and you are burning more fuel. I think in reality it is all this new gadgetry on the new trucks . As you know when you open the hood on your new diesel you have to search for the engine because of all the wire, hoses and plastic electrical component boxes. We all know this new diesel fuel has been no help, all it has done was increase the price of a gallon, and give us less milage.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OLD TURBO.... I think you may have something there...
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #24
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
You might need to chip this new truck. My nephew has a new 08 Chevy Durapad and he said it was real slugish when starting out.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:10 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mine shutters when pulling off too, I think they call that axle wrap. My tailpipe looks just like it looked when they pulled it out of the bin at the Ford plant and assembled it on my truck. I have never felt, or heard it regenerate. I have never smelled ...anything from the exhaust. I think you need to take your truck in, Rich, get a check up from the Ford Doc.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree Ozz, I was thinking of your post about the clean tailpipe. You really need to be looking at a EGT/mpg to see the effect of regen. It is not hardly noticable otherwise.My tail pipe is black and oily. I was aware of the axle wrap and the shudder we feel when down shifting with a load feels the same., We see no indication on the guages..It feels like the camper is chucking real bad... We will be taking it in when we get to Davenport, Fl;On edit,, I have been over on the FTE forum and this IS NOT a unusual issue on the 6.4's. Some possible causes..Bad fuel or bio diesel.. I never used bio and I would have to be getting bad fuel everywhere. Injector problems,,,hummmm, cracked DPF...??? I am not alone.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #27
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
My exhaust pipe at 5,000 miles looks brand new. It has never stuttered off a stop and has more power than I could ever use.
If you think your old gasser is comparable with your new diesel, then something is wrong with your diesel..Maybe a computer software change but somethings wrong!
They are not equal in power.
Have you ever seen a gas burning locomotive that pulls 100's of tons down the tracks? They never made them because diesel by its design has more power.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hugh....you do not have a 08 6.4L Ford.. "diesel by its design has more power" True...but I do not see much difference between my shinny new 6.4L and my old 05 V-10.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #29
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Rich, my F350 with 4:10 gears, I get 14 mpg towing on most interstates, I tow alot on U.S. hwys and secondary rds. in the mountains I average 11 mostly 12 mpg. Of course my monty probably lighter then yours, altho I am fulltiming and it is loaded out pretty well. Seems you need to take your truck in for a checkup. I have a buddy with a Pace Arrow 33ft motorhome and V-10 best he can get is 7 to 8 mpg towing a small car even on near level hwy. my truck solo gets avg of 18 mpg.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #30
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rich, True enought I don't have a Ford 6.4L. But I've had 2 older Powerstokes. My point was if you are not seeing much difference between your 6.4L and your 05 V10 then there is something wrong with your 6.4L. I would be at the closest Ford dealer and have them put it on the computer.
I've had 2 Cummins, 2 Powerstokes and 1 Duramax and a V10. Never will a gas pull or out perform a diesel.
It just ain't in the book.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree that there is something wrong with my 08 6.4L Ford..At least I hope there is something wrong with it. I know you are well meaning guys but what you got with your earlier model diesels means nothing... I am talking about the 08 6.4L Diesel that is known to be less efficent than earlier diesels. and what I am saying is absolutly true..My 05 V-10 out pulled my 08 6.4L on the Jellico grade I-75.. The additional power was there only if I exceded my EGT temps and went nearly max boost. My 05 V-10 did in the low 8's mpg..the 6.4 in the high 8's mpg. pulling the same camper.. My tailpipe is black with soot and oily, the truck shudders If you look over on the FTE forum you will see that this is not a unknown problem.It will be at a Ford Dealer ASAP.. I am not a happy shinny new 08 Ford diesel owner..right now...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #32
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

Never will a gas pull or out perform a diesel.
It just ain't in the book.
Agree, I've had my share of big block gassers...in their best day they could not hold a candle to this Duramax I have now.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was not commenting on the diference between big block gas motors and diesel motors. I was commenting on MY 08 Ford 6.4L diesel motor and its performance as compaired to MY 05 V-10 gas motor..that is it...nothing more.. It has nothing to do with the performance of any other motor in any other truck of any other year.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #34
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I would change the fuel filter first. You may have gotten bad fuel. Water in fuel may not be the problem. It may be sludge from the distribution tank where you bought the fuel.
After you change the fuel filter open it up and see how black it is. It should NOT be ALL black. If it is then the engine is starving for fuel.
Mine has a DIC (dashboard information center) and it tells you how much oil life, fuel filter life is left.
The Chev. dealer told me DO NOT trust those figures and change it sooner. I changed the oil at 4544 miles and DIC told me I had 54% oil life left.
Dealer changed it on his dollar, I have 2 yr and 24,000 miles scheduled service free!!
The guys on the forum are telling you straight, after 10k to 20k you will see improvement in mileage.
These diesels are built tight. Remember in 50's and 60's when you bought a new vehicle and it burnt oil during breakin. 100,000 miles and it was shot.
Now we see gassers with 200,00 miles and still running.
Even with all the emmissions junk (mine has it) regeneration doesn't botter me and there is no way I would go back to the old diesels. My first power stroke had 225 HP and my Duramax has 360 hp. Even with my Power Stroke chipped it wouldn't keep up with the Duramax.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #35
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Rich, if you having a lot of soot and oily substance from your tailpipe, with some accmulating on the bottom of fender, and with the loss of power, maybe some rough engine running especially at stop, combined with extra low milage, sounds like an ejector going or has gone bad. I know the 6.0's was bad about that. But the ford dealer can check for sure. Just a thought!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the input guys. I value input from the experienced diesel drivers and it jives with what I see on other diesel forums. I will take it in next week.My tailpipe had been black for a long time. I do not think we had a regeneration on the way down here. I never saw a unusual increase in EGT's while cruising. We purchased the diesel for all the reasons you would purchase one for. We love this truck and hope we can get it to perform a lot better. We are over 4K miles now and due for a oil/filter change... We also would have free maint but only at our selling dealer who is 1100 miles away now.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 AM   #37
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Taking a chance on being misunderstood on this subject I can say that the Fords' statistically have problems with their diesel power plants. I have had engine problems with a F250s and every Ford PU I have ever owned. Included in this litany of FMC problem vehicles are Mustangs, F150s, and T Birds. I can not seem to get a satisfactory vehicle, of any type, from FMC.

Since I swithched to GM products I have not had any drive train failures or problems. We are talking 3500 DA(2), 2500 Sierras(2)and three 1500 Sierras all 4X4s. We sold our 300 acre cattle ranch in NW Alabama almost three years ago and went through more bad Fords than I wish to remember over a seven year time frame there. I am not against FMC products, just have had lousy "luck" with them. I can not comment about Dodge because I have no experience with them. Ford has taught me a lesson I can't forget.

We just traded our 2004 GMC 3500 DA DRW TV for a 2008 Chevy 3500 DA DRW with the six speed Allison, it is a formidable truck. Cruises @ 70 mph below 2000 rpms and treats our 2008 3400RLQ Big Sky as if it was not there on the highway.

I do not know why Ford can sometimes just not get it right. My experience is not uncommon. They build one heck of a truck but have too many issues, especially with new products. Once again, this is just one persons' record with Ford trucks and not intended to be a put down of all FMC trucks or a flame about them.

Good luck and happy trails, John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #38
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I'm in the same boat as John. First Powerstroke tranmission rebuild @75,000 miles. Second Powerstroke CPS steadly goes out. Ford first sold the CPS for $200 and in 2007 they came down to $25. They sold hundreds of thousands @ @200.
Space is limited so I'll stop there.
I've had 1 GMC gas 1 Chev. gas and 1 Chev. Duramax. The only problem I've had with the older GMC is fan blower. Cheap fix.
My friends have Ford Diesels. My son's Ford Diesel quit on him and I waited for the wrecker driver who told me that Ford Diesels were a good percentage of his business!! When he tows them to the Ford dealer there is always several diesels waiting repairs in front of him.
I've had Fords so its not just a Chev guy berating Fords.
I've had my share of Ford diesels and will stay with the Duramax/Allison combo. I've had both and this is the best by far.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm. I went over to "the diesel page" a forum on GM motors and I see the same kind of post over there on ,.Poor MPG, Injector issues, etc. Don't think it is only Ford...
Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #40
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
If you want to go to a good forum go to : http://forums.thedieselstop.com/forums/
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote